It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 05:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Unhappy Eating properly

When I was 10 I prepared all of my own meals. Very rarely did my mother or father cook. I am a very picky eater and only will eat a few things.Now my daughter is 16 months old and eats what we eat. I am only use to making one meal a day. I try so hard to cook her 3 meals a day, but I do admit most days it's only two. When she wakes up she is not hungry. I've tried to feed her right away but she just throws it on the floor. And like her mother she will not eat fruit. I try to feed her everything and not let her have eating habbits like me but I am afraid it is already starting. I guess what I'd like to know is what should my daughter be eating at 16 months? How often should I feed her? Any snack or meal ideas? This is very new to me and I don't know what she should be eating, mostly she just picks at food all day. Little snacks every few hours, ie yougert, cherrios, sliced meat, cheese, etc... I just don't want her to have my poor eating habbits and get the proper foods she needs. Thanks everyone for any ideas. (I hope I don't sound like a bad mother).

Old 06-25-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Eating properly

My 22 month old will not eat breakfast untill about 10am and then i am lucky to get an egg into her (she won't eat bread, cereal, pancakes...basily any breakfast food other than eggs), generaly she'll have a peice of fruit (she likes apples and bananas), maybe a slice of cheese (she can't eat the regular cheese because it constipates her), for lunch generaly i try to give her whatever her brother and sister are having, but it's hard because she won't eat bread...she likes chicken noodle soup (mostly the noodles), she likes stuff like spaghettie and canned pasta's, but i try to stay away from canned foods. My daughter is really really picky, most foods you can get her to take a bite of she just chews up and spits out...she won't eat cookies, she won't eat any junk food really (she likes cheesies and chips, but she doesn't even eat much of those), she likes carrot sticks and raw broccoli, but she generaly spits most of it out.....see your not the only one with a child with food issues, i've always had them with my daughter though, i'm scared to stop breastfeeding her because i figure thats the only healthy thing i can guarentee that she'll get every day. Not eating a lot is a very common problem among toddlers and what it boils down to is they will eat enough, they aren't going to starve themselves.
Try waiting untill mid morning to give her breakfast...if i'm not going to be home then i will bring an apple or banana or something i know she'll eat, give her lunch, a small snack in the afternoon and supper, and maybe another small snack before bed. Limit things like juice and don't give her alot to drink untill after she has eaten. There are lots of bisquits and things that are made for toddlers try buying her those, buy her lots of fruits and veggies, and as much as it may bother you don't say negative things about fruits and veggies around her, eat them and make sure she see's you. Also, you can get great dips for fruits and veggies, see if those help. The only thing you really need to worry about is her getting enough iron, when my other daughter was about 2 she went through a phase where she ate nothing but milk products...yougert, icecream, cheese etc...it was very hard to get her to eat anything else, she became enemic, it didn't last long to cause serious problems...she was pretty pale and bruised easily for a month or two but she started eating again and all was well. If you can't get her to eat what you want her to eat than trick her into it, bake muffins and cookies with fruit and veggies (carrot muffins, apple cookies etc), buy plain yougert and put some fresh fruit into it. And have snacks that you can just put in a bowl on the table and leave out, chereeo's are good for that and she can snack on them.
There are ways to get them to eat, just remember not to force her or to get fustrated, she'll pick up on that and it'll make her not want to eat because it won't be a plesent experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Eating properly

Because my son has a genetic disorder that affects his digestion. We were told at 6 months to grind up whatever we're eating and feed that to him, but still give him formula. However, we're HORRIBLE eaters. Just don't seem to have time anymore to fix meals. Luckily he's a good little yogurt eater in the morning and eats a good lunch and snack at daycare. At night if I don't use the crockpot/slow cooker for meals I have tv dinners on hand to pop in the microwave, grind up and feed my 13 month old.

Also he LOVES canned chicken ala king, mac & cheese, tomato soup with crackers, fish sticks. I just make sure that I also include some fruits and veggies all mashed up, too.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 06-25-2004 at 06:45 AM.

Closed Thread