It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
How to make sure a 1 and 1/2 year old drinks enough???

My son only drinks maybe 6 ounces of milk/liquid a day. This doesn't sound like enough fluid to me. It's just so odd that for the first year of his life he basically consumed ONLY liquid and now all of a sudden he isn't getting ENOUGH fluids. I offer him drinks all throughout the day but he just won't drink more than maybe 6 ounces.. Milk is the only drink he will drink with some water here and there (if I'm drinking some he will sip from it)..he doesn't like juice which is fine with me. I'm concerned he might become dehydrated. I have noticed his soft spot is a little sunken in.

Any ideas on how to push more fluids????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: How to make sure a 1 and 1/2 year old drinks enough???

I think his soft spot should be closing right about now. You can easily tell if he is dehydrated. Does he have saliva and tears? Does he have a decrease in wet diapers? You can also lightly pinch an area of skin on his arm..Just enough to raise it up, then let go. If the skin stays up, he's dehydrated.

How much liquid would you say tht he gets in the foods he eats? My son doesnt drink a lot but does eat vegetables and such with natural water in them already. You can also push fluids but offering popcicles and such. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

His soft spot is about a finger tip...it's almost closed but not completely.

I never thought about water from the vegetables he eats however, you make a good point. I have noticed that his diapers are less wet than normal but he is tearing up when he cries. I'm not all that worried that he is dehyrated at this point but the fact that he might become in the future. His dr. didn't act to worried when I brought it up so I should take that cue from him I suppose. Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-02-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

My little girl doesn't drink much either...last summer i was so worried about her, she would drink almost nothing from a sippy cup (i mean nothing, maybe an ounce a day...the juice would go rotten before she had a chance to finish it) if i wasn't still breastfeeding i would have gone insane with worry. Give him things like icecream, popsicles, apples, oranges...anything that has lots of moisture in it. Also, try adding a little chocolate syrup to his milk that may help. Just keep a close eye on him on really hot days, make sure he's not playing in the sun for any length of time, and really watch for signs of dehydration since little ones can get dehydrated very quickly. I figure that he's probably getting about what he needs though, between the food he eats that have moisture in it and the little bit of milk your getting into him. Also, try different cups, you can get the sports bottle type, the playtex onces with straws, also some little plastic regular cups..i know my daughter loves to drink out of big girl cups...she'll drink just about anything out of them.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

My trick right now is watermelon. Fruits are full of natural water but my son doesn't like most of them. He does eat watermelon which is 98% water. I guess we just have to be creative when it comes to our toddlers!!LOL

Old 07-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Hey! Watermelon...that's a really good idea Thanks!

Closed Thread