It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
(female)

quinnersmom HB User
slept naked with another child

Help!

My son who is 3 has been going to a daycare for about a 1.5 years. My son has always been taken care of but then there was situation.

I picked up my son and he told me he got wet. I thought he had a accident. She said his pants got wet from the pool. SO he got wet, she took off his pants, let him swim in his undies. She told me his underwear was outside drying.He had only his shorts on.( no underwear)

When we were in the car, my son says" Mom I slept naked today" I asked him a lot of questions thinking he THOUGHT he was naked becasue he was only wearing his shorts. He said he was naked. he also said he slept with the other 3 year old girl but she had a pull up on.

I went to daycare the next day and asked her about it. She smiled and said yes. I told her that was NOT ok at all. She was all apologetic and said it would never happen again. He went the next day and she barely talked to me.

The following day I picked him and my son told me she was mowing the lawn. She looked at my son and said....don't get me in more trouble.She ensured me that he was right with her when she was mowing....UM HELLO>>>>>>>>>>even more dangerous!!

The next day I called and left her a message( because she NEVER answer her phone)I just told her we are pulling immediatly becasue we want him in a more structured envirnoment. She called me back and left me a messege saying " if this has anything to do with the sleeping thing, I really don't know what the big deal is. Well right then and there I knew I made the right choice.

SHe now wants two weeks worth of pay becasue I didn't give her a notice, I am not going to pay her squat. SHe keeps calling me and I will not return her calls. I sent her a certified letter sayding I want a copy of the contract that I signed. ( I do not remember signing anything from her) She hasn't threatened it to me either.

I am so scared she will show up at my door. Everyone keeps telling me I shoudl report her. She didn't do it to hurt anyone but she should have known better. SHe is not licensded.

Her calls are very firm and she tells me becasue I haven't payed her she is bouncing checks. Ummmm is it my prblem that you can't manage your money???

I am having some serious anxiety over this. I seriouly think I may have to call my doctor. I am already on anti depressent for depression.

Last edited by quinnersmom; 07-07-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: slept naked with another child

I believe you made the right choice...there is no way a child should be alowed to be naked and her not say anything or not pay enough attention to notice, also, children should wear bathing suits when swimming not underwear. And she shouldn't be mowing the lawn with children present, there have been many stories in recent months of children being maimed by law mowers/tractors, and how can she hear the children when doing that, much less actually watch them properly.
As far as you signing a contract...generaly when you enroll your child you are agreeing to their terms. I know when i have put my daughter and son in daycare and preschool i always had to sign something, something agreeing to their terms and something that allows them to take her for walks and outings off daycare/preschool property. 2 wks notice is pretty standard (when i moved and had to take my daughter out of her preschool they made me pay an extra month...4 wks notice). I'm not sure that you can avoid the 2 wks notice thing. Just let her know that if she persues any action against you to get her 2 wks payment (i don't think it would be worth it for her to do that) than you will make sure the judge or collections agent or whoever she has helping to try and get her money knows exactly why you took your son out of her daycare.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User

Hello:

Although it is standard to give 2 weeks notice that standard does not apply here.

There is a serious problem with what she did.

I would call the state and report her immediately before she puts other children in this postion. It doesn't matter if she is licensed or not the state can and will handle these kinds of complaints.

Does the girl's mother know about this? I would think about giving her heads up. As a mother I sure would want to know.

You did the right thing! Keep your chin up and let us know how you make out.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
Inactive

KimRick HB User

If she threatens you in any way, all you have to tell her is that you will report her for operating a "daycare" without a license! And then you can can chime in about sleeping naked and mowing lawns. My fiance's ex-wife runs a daycare out of her home, BUT she is licensed in every way and there is a DCF worker who shows up unannounced to do inspections and there are certain rules and regulations that must be followed when watching children. I really wouldn't worry yourself about it! You have the upper hand here.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRick
If she threatens you in any way, all you have to tell her is that you will report her for operating a "daycare" without a license! And then you can can chime in about sleeping naked and mowing lawns. My fiance's ex-wife runs a daycare out of her home, BUT she is licensed in every way and there is a DCF worker who shows up unannounced to do inspections and there are certain rules and regulations that must be followed when watching children. I really wouldn't worry yourself about it! You have the upper hand here.

You do not HAVE to have a license to babysit out of your home. But regardless there are rules that you have to comply with and the state can help her on that.

I agree she has the upper hand here.

I hope she reports this woman and in a hurry!

Last edited by Kimianne; 07-08-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Inactive

KimRick HB User

In the State of Florida, if you are babysitting children and making a profit doing so, you must be licensed. It is illegal to run a profit making business without a license. I also believe that you have to be insured, should anything happen to the child and without a license, you can't get insured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimianne
You do not HAVE to have a license to babysit out of your home. But regardless there are rules that you have to comply with and the state can help her on that.

I agree she has the upper hand here.

I hope she reports this woman and in a hurry!

Last edited by KimRick; 07-09-2004 at 12:48 PM.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kimianne HB User

Hi All:

My mistake sorry. I guess I was being narrow minded And was thinking about New Hampshire law only.

In New Hampshire you are not required to have a license but you have to follow the rules of the state and you are only allowed so many kids. The state can and will step in if there is problem.

In these other states what happens if Grandma or Auntie wants to provide daycare for your children. Are they forced to get a license?

Old 07-12-2004, 07:49 AM   #8
Inactive

KimRick HB User

If Grandma or Auntie wanted to babysit, that's something different. But if your babysitting multiple children and making a profit doing so, the state considers that to be running a business, at least in Florida. Take my fiance's ex-wife, she runs a "daycare" out of her home. She is licensed and insured with the state to do so and she is only allowed to have a certain amount of kids. She cannot smoke in the house, her pets MUST be vaccinated and she has to be able to provide the paperwork for them, and her house must be kept up to code on everything because they do surprise spot inspections every couple of months or so. If she violates her inspections, she can get shut down. They're also really strict with what you do in your spare time also! For instance, she isn't supposed to drink any alcoholic beverages, or anything else that impares her judgement, if she has any kids the next day. "Babysitting" kids now-a-days isn't what it used to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimianne
Hi All:

My mistake sorry. I guess I was being narrow minded And was thinking about New Hampshire law only.

In New Hampshire you are not required to have a license but you have to follow the rules of the state and you are only allowed so many kids. The state can and will step in if there is problem.

In these other states what happens if Grandma or Auntie wants to provide daycare for your children. Are they forced to get a license?

Old 07-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #9

cdjcpc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnersmom
Help!

My son who is 3 has been going to a daycare for about a 1.5 years. My son has always been taken care of but then there was situation.

I picked up my son and he told me he got wet. I thought he had a accident. She said his pants got wet from the pool. SO he got wet, she took off his pants, let him swim in his undies. She told me his underwear was outside drying.He had only his shorts on.( no underwear)

When we were in the car, my son says" Mom I slept naked today" I asked him a lot of questions thinking he THOUGHT he was naked becasue he was only wearing his shorts. He said he was naked. he also said he slept with the other 3 year old girl but she had a pull up on.

I went to daycare the next day and asked her about it. She smiled and said yes. I told her that was NOT ok at all. She was all apologetic and said it would never happen again. He went the next day and she barely talked to me.

The following day I picked him and my son told me she was mowing the lawn. She looked at my son and said....don't get me in more trouble.She ensured me that he was right with her when she was mowing....UM HELLO>>>>>>>>>>even more dangerous!!

The next day I called and left her a message( because she NEVER answer her phone)I just told her we are pulling immediatly becasue we want him in a more structured envirnoment. She called me back and left me a messege saying " if this has anything to do with the sleeping thing, I really don't know what the big deal is. Well right then and there I knew I made the right choice.

SHe now wants two weeks worth of pay becasue I didn't give her a notice, I am not going to pay her squat. SHe keeps calling me and I will not return her calls. I sent her a certified letter sayding I want a copy of the contract that I signed. ( I do not remember signing anything from her) She hasn't threatened it to me either.

I am so scared she will show up at my door. Everyone keeps telling me I shoudl report her. She didn't do it to hurt anyone but she should have known better. SHe is not licensded.

Her calls are very firm and she tells me becasue I haven't payed her she is bouncing checks. Ummmm is it my prblem that you can't manage your money???

I am having some serious anxiety over this. I seriouly think I may have to call my doctor. I am already on anti depressent for depression.
Legally if you did in fact sign a contract with this woman, then she is correct in asking for two weeks of childcare. However, it is your responsibility to protect yourself before she decides to take further legal action against you.

First, you need to send her a certified letter stating why you are terminating her services, keep a copy for your records. Call child services and explain your position and retain a copy or receipt of your conversation with whoever you speak to. Make a record of the events that led up to your decision to terminate her services and any conversations you have had with her, including email or written correspondence. This is all very important if she takes you to court because you will need to prove your side to a judge. Good luck! I think you made the right decision also, just do what you need to, to protect yourself.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

In Illinois you have to have a license as well if you are caring for more than 3 children. Just as well as you having a contract with her (whether verbal or written) she has one with you as well and you need to consult with an attorney or the state or someone to see how that would work.........if she breaches the contract......does that make the contract void??? If so, that would mean that anything in that contract is null and void and I don't think she could hold you accountable for anything. I know in some states it is like that.

Closed Thread