It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 07:29 PM   #1

JennMomTo3 HB User
Unhappy How do you remove urine smell??

My children's bed has a VERY BAD urine smell. What is the best way to remove it. We have tried Lysol and Frebreeze. My daughter leaks through every diaper that we have tried. The smell is awful and stoumach turning. PLEASE help.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: How do you remove urine smell??

Hi,

You'll never be able to get the smell out because there is still urine that has gone INTO the mattress, and it would be impossible to clean it throughout.

Best thing....throw it out and then on the next bed make sure a plastic mattress cover is put on the bed and wiped with a disinfectant regularly. The smell can permeate that as well, but at least the mattress won't get stinky.

That's the ONLY solution methinks.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 04:31 AM   #3
(female)

karaokediva33 HB User

Here's several different methods...good luck!!

1. Wash with vinegar and soap, put outside in the sun to dry.
(diluted white vinegar. Use about 1/4 cup of vinegar to a quart of water)
2. Baking soda
3. Oxy-clean
4. Peroxide & water
5. Windex
6. Incredible (About 5 bucks a bottle)
7. ( Dreft or baby) Detergent and a Shop Vac
8. Carpet cleaner
9. Dishwashing detergent
10. After it dries spray the Lysol or Frebreeze.

Keep a fresh dryer sheet in the room(under the bed, near the door, change it often.)

Hope something helps!!

Old 07-08-2004, 04:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User
Lightbulb Re: How do you remove urine smell??

Hi, another tip you can try is Listerine mouth wash, just make sure its the origianl, after spraying it set it out in the sun to dry. Listerine is a anti-bacterial, it can be used safely in many ways. My dad even cleaned a badly cut hand with it on a daily base, because he couldnt get to a doctor, his hand never developed and infection and healed quickly.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I would definately get rid of the mattress and completely wash the bed down.
One thing you can also try which will probably work the best is go to a pet store and look for a pet urine remover, it should work. However the problem here is it is probably deep in the mattress and no way of getting rid of it.
With the pet products you have to completely saturate the item and let it sit at least an hour then remove the water. This may just make your bed moldy, but it would be good to wipe the bed down with it.
The urine is probably pretty deep in the mattress and will be hard to get rid of.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

on a really hot and sunny day (no clouds) take the mattress outside....take a bucket of water and some kind of cleaner (lysol, mr clean etc)...completly drench the mattress....use some clean water to rinse out the cleaner...keep it in the sun the entire day...flip it every hour or two so it'll dry all the way through. This may not work....esp if you have a thicker mattress, but this is what i did with my son's matress (don't try this unless it's a last resort, since it will ruin the mattress if it doesn't dry properly). But it does have to be a really hot day. After it's dry it should smelll much better...buy a plastic mattress cover or use a thick peice of plastic from somewhere else (the plastic that a mattress comes in is really good) and make sure it stays covered. You may have to resort to buying a new mattress.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i wouldnt even question this one! i would save any health problems by throwing it in the garbage and doing what was posted but a rubber sheet down. this happened with us and what we did was immediately throw it away then the new mattress(under 100$) we kept the plastic it came in(or you can ask them so put plastic wrapping around it) we kept on and just put a sheet over that. it is probably deep in the mattress so i dont think its really worth cleaning it as it will always be there.its more unhealthy than anything.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

A typical child consumes 2-3 oz of fluid per pound of body weight. About half of that comes back as urine. Sorry, I know all of this because of diabetes Then you have to add that most children, especially young children, urinate up to 10 times a day. This means for a child that weighs 40lbs, he is putting out less than a cup of fluid on average each time he potties. This means there is not alot of urine in the mattress when it has to go through his clothing and his sheets. So the problem doesn't warrent throwing out the mattress IMHO. I also have bed wetting toddlers and could not afford a mattress replacement every time they wet the bed.

What worked for us was to take vinegar and baking soda, both neutralize urine, and put it in a steam cleaner. Both are natural and won't hurt the cleaner. Then we steam cleaned the mattress, let it dry that night, and put them back on it the next night

We now have a plastic mattress cover so we don't deal with it anymore. Good luck and I HTH

Old 07-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #9

cdjcpc HB User

There's a pet product called Nature's Own that is great for removing urine smells, especially little people's urine smells. If you can't find that one, most pet stain and odor removers work great. Just make sure they are safe for areas that will come in contact with skin, the label will let you know.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #10

ASHEA HB User
Talking Re: How do you remove urine smell??

Hello..i know how too get rid of it,,this has been used in my family for years,,,lemon juice,,if you put acid on an alkaline smell it will go??Joanne,,,(trust me try it)let me know how it goes

Old 07-24-2004, 08:20 PM   #11

skyspinner HB User

Just pitch that mattress and get one covered w/ plastic, then put a rubberized sheet on it. Make it up w/ the usual bedding on top of that.

Old 07-25-2004, 05:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

15 ounces hydrogen peroxide mixed with 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 drops liquid hand soap, works on cat urine, skunk odor, etc. to get down into the mattress you may need to get an injector, that is what I had to do with my mattress and no more pee smell

good luck

Old 08-02-2004, 11:13 PM   #13

Deedee102901 HB User
I went through this recently... heres what worked for us.

I helped my cousin in law with her childs matress, and what we did was soak it in oxy-clean, took a scrub brush to the stains, sprayed it down with a hose, let it dry in the sun, and then febreezed it w/ the antibacterial kind. it worked. Getting a new mattress would have been great, but she just couldnt afford that. hope this helps.

Closed Thread