It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Unhappy My 22 month old still wants her bottle (formula still) and hardly ever eats solids!

Hi,
I try and try every single day to give my daughter good foods, like wheat bread and turkey sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, chicken nuggets, brocoli and cheese, etc etc. Unfortunately, she just takes a few bites and cries like heak for a bottle. Of course I give it to her, as a matter of fact, I still have her on formula in order for her to receive vital nutrients. However, I have a feeling I'm gonna have a rough time getting her off the bottle. Any suggestion? Or, can anybody relate? Thanks

Old 07-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Re: My 22 month old still wants her bottle (formula still) and hardly ever eats solids!

It must be costing you a fortune on formula still. I was so happy to put my little one on **** milk, and feed her normal food. It does save quite a bit. When she was small did she eat the jared food? Did your doctor tell you to keep her on fomula? Does she eat baby oatmeal? The formula is sweet, maybe try half formula half **** milk for a week and then just milk. My little girl when we switched her to **** milk she refused to drink for 3 days, (drinking only water, on the second day). She ended up almost being dehydrated. She wasn't used to the taste. She realized after the 3 days that we weren't going to give her formula anymore and drinks milk just fine now. (That's why I say try 1/2 and 1/2 at first so she doesn't get dehydrated unless she'll drink water). Does she like fruit? Fruit is sweet, she might like that. Good luck.

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 07-10-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: My 22 month old still wants her bottle (formula still) and hardly ever eats solids!

Yah, it does cost me a fortune. I just want to make sure she's getting adequate iron intake, and the formula has iron it it. Plus, the little amount of food she eats doesn't provide her with enough nutrients. So, I buy the Nestle's Good Start 2 for toddlers to fill nutritional gaps. The bottle is so comforting to her. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

With my daughers we just with held the bottle. Give her a sippie cup and tell them that big girls drink from cups. Try to show her other kids who drink from cups.

Finger foods are best. We started out with cereal as it is easy to digest. We added fruit to that. If you don't move into veggies soon, the child may never learn to like them. Veggies are real important. As long as you giving the child their vitamins everyday, they should be getting everything that they need from those.

Right now is a great time to try fresh fruit, fresh veggies, puried or as finger foods. I never started mine on cow's milk due to the hormones and anti-biotics in it. I started them out on a special formula and then moved them to rice milk, soy and goats milk from a local organic dairy.

It is not so much the taste but the feel in their mouths that turns them off to solid foods. My mom always told me that no child turned up in school with a bottle, so don't worry about it. But, I wanted my children to learn to eat veggies and fruits.

Yogurt is great, with fruit mixed in. Try whatever you can to get the child off of the bottle. Even if it takes a few days of pulling your hair out, it has to happen sooner or later.

If you start with sweets, it will be much harder to move to veggies. Our grandson moved from the bottle to fresh produce and soy.

If it is a matter of comfort for your child to use the bottle for security, then try taking it away during the day and wean them off of the night bottle.

A child will eat when they are hungry. They are not going to starve if you take the bottle away. You have to set limits. All part of being a parent.

good luck

Old 07-10-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Actually, Good start 2 is for babies older than 4 months and for toddlers up to a year old. Young babies usually have stores of iron from their mothers so they don't need as much from their diets. They naturally start losing that iron and depend on their diets at about 4 months old. This is why the toddler formulas have more iron. They are not adequate in all areas to sustain children. The iron content might be enough but the formula may be lacking in other areas. A 22 month old child who only drinks formula may be overdosing on certain nutrients to meet their caloric demands.

My son only drank liquids until he was 18 months old. He still is an extremely picky eater and is not fully sustained by solid food. We use Pediasure, you can get a generic brand at Wal Mart. We also use Carnation Instant Breakfast. The protein is too much for young children so we only use half packets. You can also give children Slim Fast since their caloric needs are not as great as an adult. All of the above mentioned have been aproved through our Pediatrician.

We took him off of his bottle at 15 months because of language delays so I can't really help there. Good luck

Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

At almost 2 your baby is old enough to give up the bottle. Since your daughter thinks of the bottle as food and not what is sitting in front of her. It's quite possible that she may not eat solids untill the bottle is gone. So you really should try and ween her from it. Once she's not getting her belly full from the bottle she may start to eat more solids. What you can try doing too is giving her less in her bottle so she won't actually get full from it, gradually put less formula in the bottle. Depending on how her comprehension is you may also try telling her she has to eat some food before she gets her bottle. I think the important thing is to get a handle on this before she's older and has really set some bad eating habits. I have some of the same issues with my 23 month old except it's the breast not hte bottle she's attached too, she also has issue eating solid foods and was about 10 months old before i could get her to eat anything and even then she didn't eat much and still doesn't eat as much as my other two did. But i've cut back the amount of breast she gets and she's doing a bit better. Also, you can get a multivitamin for her if you are worried about her nutrition while making the transition from bottle to solids. Unfortunitly i can't give you any advise on how to ween..my last two were breast fed and my first was bottle and the last 2 were very easy to ween...this one is a different story though....good luck.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS is almost 14 months old and we still use a bottle with infamil lipil for toddlers. He has issues with texture. Acts like he's hacking up a hairball At school they grind up regular food for him and have tried chunkier stuff, but he spits it out. We grind up some stuff, but he loves baby mac & cheese and yogurt. So those are the standbys if we can't get him to try anything else. He JUST started wanting crunchier foods this past week -- tortilla chips, rice, sunflower seeds. Think it was because he saw us and other people eating those things and wanted to mimic us. DH has also used a shot glass to feed him formula while we give him solids.

We're working with the daycare right now to try and give him carnation instant breakfast or pediasure for afternoon snack to try and get extra calories and get him used to it before we switch to whole milk.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:29 AM   #8

cdjcpc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Hi,
I try and try every single day to give my daughter good foods, like wheat bread and turkey sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, chicken nuggets, brocoli and cheese, etc etc. Unfortunately, she just takes a few bites and cries like heak for a bottle. Of course I give it to her, as a matter of fact, I still have her on formula in order for her to receive vital nutrients. However, I have a feeling I'm gonna have a rough time getting her off the bottle. Any suggestion? Or, can anybody relate? Thanks
Start putting less formula in her bottle. She will get the nuturing affect of suckling, but won't get the satisfaction of feeling full and will want to eat. Don't cave in by filling her bottle more, be firm with this. Gradually reduce the amount and overtime she will prefer to eat to get the satisfaction of being full. Also, you can water the formula down a little and make it less satisfying. This will also create a need to eat solid foods to get that full feeling. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #9

edaisy80 HB User

With my next to the oldest so we just took all his bottles and threw them away a week after his birthday. We bought the playtex cups. With my daughter it wasn't as easy. One of my friends bought her a bottle from wal-mart that had a nipple and another one that made it like a cup. The cup nipple isn't leak proof like the regular sippy cups. We tried her on it for a while but she didn't like it. My mom had bought these really tiny tumbler cups from the dollar tree for the older kids. They come like 4 to a pack. Lexi wanted them. So she started drinking from them and of course spilling. But thats what spray & wash is for on clothes. Anyway! About a week after she started drinking from a regular cup we took back out her Playtex cups. I took one and held it up and pretended to drink from it saying "oh this is so good". And them I would take the bottle and say "yucky". It worked for her because she was off the bottle when she was 14 months old. Like I said with Caleb he didn't like the cup at first but we gave it to him anyway. After about 2 night of just kinda whining when he went to sleep he was like hey this cup thing is ok. Especially since there was no more bottles in the house. Maybe you could find her that other cup at wal-mart I know they see it in Winnie the Pooh and Peter Rabbit. And since the nipple is soft maybe she will like it better than a playtex cup.

Closed Thread