It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User
Question my baby wont switch to milk

hello my son is getting ready to have his first b-day and he cant take milk. he gets really fussy and gets diareah bad. my other 2 had no problems. Does this mean hes allergic to milk? or lactose intolerant? Ive tried mixing it with formula but its no help what should I do? thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: my baby wont switch to milk

I would say there's a really good chance your baby is allergic to milk. There is some great soy milk products on the market these days. Here there is one called So Good. There is extra calcium and so forth in it and it doesn't taste too bad.

Most kids' bodies know if they are allergic to something and they will not like that food. I have one child that is still allergic to milk and two that used to be. Most kids outgrow the allergy by 5 or 6 yrs of age.

Jeannie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I'm not sure if it does mean he is allergic...you should ask your doctor to be sure of what is going on. Since formula is made from cows milk he's already been getting the protiens and everything. It may just be that he's got more of a sensative digestive tract and he may not be ready for whole milk yet. I would definitly refer to your doctor on this one, that way you know exactly what is going on, he may need to have a non cow milk. Does he he things like ice cream and yogert and cheese? Keep track of what milk products he can tollerate and which he can't and then take him to see his doctor.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #4

cdjcpc HB User

I went through the same situation with my son. At one, I decided I to stop breastfeeding and switch my son to milk. He had diarrhea and would cry all the time. My husband and I also thought he may be lactose intolerant or allergic.

My son's three now and it turns out that he's just sensitive to food changes. We have to take a more gradual approach when introducing him to new foods (slowly and in small amounts). He drinks milk regularly now, but we add strawberry flavoring to get him to really enjoy it.

If you really think he may have an allergic reaction, take him to the doctor. They can do a test to see if it's allergies. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #5

2DS1DD HB User

Since all dairy is pasturized differently there is a chance he could be allergic to cow's milk - the kind you drink. You can always try yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc. But please wait at least 2 wks before introducing another dairy into his system as it can take up to that long for the current dairy to leave his system. My DD was on rice milk for a long time and LOVED it!

HUGS
Heather

Old 07-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

My son can eat cheese an icecream ect.
I think I will try him on something esle. I will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Well I bought some Soy milk to try first and gave it to my son. Today hes been fussy just like with regular milk and even had direah once. I dont know if its a coencadence or not.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

It might take a couple days to get the milk all out of his system, I can't remember just what it was like with my kids, it was so long ago. If the soy doesn't work, I'd be heading to the dr. and asking for allergy testing. They can do a simple blood test to see if he has a 'chance' of being allergic to milk.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

If your son can have other milk products . with no proplems than i would assume he's not alergic to milk. I think it's more of him being sensative to the change rather than alergic to milk. Whatever milk, milk like product you put him on make sure it has similar vitamin mineral content to regular milk. I know some soy milks have lots of extra's added to make them more comparable to regular milk and some don't....I would definitly go see the doctor though....he/she will be able to help you to figure out if it's an allergy or just a case of him needing some time to adjust to the milk. I can't remember if it's already been posted but some kids do better when gradualy introduced to milk. Mix his formula with a small amount of milk, gradually increase the milk to formula ratio untill he's drinking all milk. This may help him more. Like I've already said...if he can eat other milk products with no problems than he's not alergic to the milk, the fact that he's having the same problems with the soy milk suggest that he's just having trouble giving up his formula and adjusting to milk. Also, how long have you tried him on milk? it may take more than a day or two for him to get used to it.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Just because a child can eat milk, say cooked into things, doesn't mean they aren't allergic. For example, my dd cannot have milk straight - she is allergic to the proteins in milk. She cannot drink it, eat ice cream, etc.

However, she can have it when it is cooked or proceeded differently. She can have cooked mac n' cheese, yogurt, casseroles with milk, etc. It just has to be cooked. That changes the proteins in it somehow.

Any way, I still think taking a child to the dr. and getting tests done is really the only way to know. Sometimes, rarely, it can be problems with the stomach or intestines. Other times it can be reflux, etc. Just getting it checked out can tell you a lot.

Jeannie

Old 07-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Thanks for all your help today was his second day on the Soy milk and still the same. I think im going to try him on rice milk now a friend told me to try that next. I am also going to take him to the doctor and see if they can test him like you all said.
He can eat cheese,ice cream ect. just fine though. hes not sensitive to food changes cause he eats all kinds of different foods. I tried mixing part regular mild and part formula and that didnt work either. And with the soy milk I also did half and half.I just hoped that I could of solved this without having to miss work and take him to the doctor. But its best I find out from them I guess. thanks again.

Closed Thread