It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran

PurpleLightning HB User
5 1/2 months and can't get to sleep - help!

Hello everyone,

I have a 5 1/2 month old boy that is having trouble taking naps. He had been napping fine but now he cries and cries. I finally get him to sleep in my lap by nursing or cuddling only to have him wake up when I put him down in his crib.

Any advice? I've let him cry for an hour and he still wouldn't cry himself to sleep. Without his good naps, he sleeps terribly at night as well. I am a first time mom who would love the advice from others!

Thanks!

J.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User
Re: 5 1/2 months and can't get to sleep - help!

Is there any chance he has an ear infection? My son was like that when he was a baby. He got to the point where he would only sleep sitting up. Turns out it was major ear infections. Lying down really hurts when you have an infection. My son was getting infections because he was allergic to the milk I was drinking! I had to cut it completely out of my diet. Just a thought.

Jeannie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I would also check his ears...but if it's not that he could be teething. Does he have any teeth yet? is he chewing on things a lot and drooling (i know a typicle baby thing, but they do it a lot more when teething). He may have an ear infection, especially if he's had a cold recently.
If it is teething and he is fine the rest of the day then about 30min before a nap or bedtime, give him some advil (phamasist told me that advil is better for teething) or tylenol. that should help to take some of the edge off and let him sleep a little better. He could just be going through his attachment phase aslo. so it may just be a habit you are going to have to work through. At around 6 months old babies can become suddenly more attached to mommy and daddy than they were before, it's a normal part of growing up and he will outgrow it.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran

PurpleLightning HB User

Thank you for your help.

He has never been sick yet. He is going to the doctor next week for his 6 month exam so hopefully they will tell me if he has an ear infection. It probably is teething! He is drooling so much that he has a little rash on his chin. I keep looking at his gums and see nothing - no red or irritation but it's probably starting to happen underneath. I will try to tylenol and see if that helps. He waking in the night often and has a hard time going back to sleep. SHould I give him tylenol then too?

Thanks,
J.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Yes, if he has a regular bedtime and naptime give it to him about 30 min beforehand (with a bottle or before nursing) to give it time to work. Advil works longer than tylenol so you may want to ask the pharmasist if it is a good choice for you baby (assuming he has no health problems it should be). Tylenol works for about 6hrs advil is suposed to work for 8 so maybe a better choice at night. As for the rash on his chin...a few times a day dry his chin off (pat not rub dry) and put a little bit of vasiline on it...do this also before bed and nap time, it will help to keep the rash away. Assuming he's happy other than sleep times there is no need to keep him on tylenol all day, but you can try it to see if it helps him to sleep.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS went through a similar phase. We just thought we spoiled him by letting him sleep in our bed when he got sick with an ear infection and woke up in the middle of the night. Turns out the little turkey thought he was a "big boy" and thought he should sleep on a mat on the floor with the bigger kids at day care. They gave him his own mat and instead of waking up screaming after 20 minutes in the crib -- he slept for TWO hours. Now when we want him to nap, we lay down with him on the floor or in our bed and transport him to his crib. He sleeps perfectly fine at night --- it's just the napping issue.

Closed Thread