It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Any Mom's going bonkers because of summer break

Lord Help me. I have a nine year old and a five year old. They are so use to that structured enviroment school provides that they bore at the drop of a hat!
It seems the more "fun" stuff we try to do with them ie. movies, beach,biking etc. The more they expect.
They want to be on the go everyday and don't understand the household still has to run and things need to get done such as laundry, cooking, shopping, cleaning etc.
School starts up here in three and a half weeks. I have been trying to do "review" work with my Son who Loves school and Loves to learn but not at home.
I'm exhausted trying to keep them occupied.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 11:46 AM   #2

SpeisFamily HB User
Re: Any Mom's going bonkers because of summer break

try involving them in the activities at home. My daughter is ADHD and extremely hyper, I pull up a chair and let her rinse the dishes and let my younger daughter dry. While I am cooking I let my older daughter stir or crack the eggs and my younger daughter helps put in ingredients etc. They feel like they have accomplished something, they stayed focused on the task and I stay sane. Let the kids help wash the cars, teach them how to fold their own clothes and how to hang them up. They will be excited to learn now, later it may be a hassle to get them to do it though, good luck.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 07-15-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

lol...i'm about to lose my mind....i have a 9 year old 5 year old and a almost 2 year old...i'm about to go crazy....to make matters worse my 9 year old doesn't have many friends because we only moved here about a month before school ended so he doesn't know many kids. If they are fighting they are noisy, if they are getting along they are noisy...lol...summer break doesn't end here untill sept 2nd i believe, i wish i only had 3 wks left. The good news is they will both be in school this year..my daughter missed out because of a late birthday so she was in preschool but it was only half days. you are not alone....i'm going bonkers too...

Old 07-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Thanks, we do most of that stuff and more. My Problem is they want to go places and be on the move!
Some things I have been doing is having my older one read to my youngest.
They both work on keeping their rooms clean, putting cloths away and my daugher loves to help cook!
My son would rather just mix and make everything into a Science Experiment.
We try to do lots of crafts as well. If I could only get them to realize we need down time so Mom can get stuff done at home?

Old 07-16-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell99
Thanks, we do most of that stuff and more. My Problem is they want to go places and be on the move!
Some things I have been doing is having my older one read to my youngest.
They both work on keeping their rooms clean, putting cloths away and my daugher loves to help cook!
My son would rather just mix and make everything into a Science Experiment.
We try to do lots of crafts as well. If I could only get them to realize we need down time so Mom can get stuff done at home?
When my sisters and I (there are four of us in all) were that age my mom would have a babysitter (mostly our cousins) that could drive and they would take us bowling, pool in the backyard, water-balloon fight, to the pet store or ISPCA to look at the animals/give them treats or anything else to keep us busy! I think she did it a few times a week. And my mom could do house stuff with out us and it was really fun! Hope this helps a little...

Closed Thread