It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #1

hotpocket HB User
how do i claim independence from parents?

How does one do this?

what needs to be done?

seems like i am on my own and pay my own bills etc..

Old 07-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: how do i claim independence from parents?

The term you are looking for is Emancipation. You will need to file a petition in your local court jurisdiction and go before a judge. If you can prove that you can support yourself, live on your own without your parent's help, he may grant you emancipation from your parent's. You didn't indicate how old you are, but I can tell you that if your still in high school you will also need to prove to the judge that you can finish school, or at least have a stable full-time job. This is not an easy process - Lord knows there are adults out in the world that shouldn't be emancipated! (LOL!)
The judge will be looking for someone that is mature, responsible and ready to take on the role of a law abiding adult citizen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 11:55 AM   #3

hotpocket HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq0726
The term you are looking for is Emancipation. You will need to file a petition in your local court jurisdiction and go before a judge. If you can prove that you can support yourself, live on your own without your parent's help, he may grant you emancipation from your parent's. You didn't indicate how old you are, but I can tell you that if your still in high school you will also need to prove to the judge that you can finish school, or at least have a stable full-time job. This is not an easy process - Lord knows there are adults out in the world that shouldn't be emancipated! (LOL!)
The judge will be looking for someone that is mature, responsible and ready to take on the role of a law abiding adult citizen.

thank u for the post
i will be 21 very soon..still dependant since they are paying for college... i made a post about it....
again thanks for the post

Old 07-20-2004, 04:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User

I know that you are over 18 from your previous post so emancipation might not be the term that you are looking for.

Closed Thread