It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User
Question Baby Sitters-how much are they worth?

Hi everyone

Im not a mom or anything im only 19. but i babysit quite a bit as there is not "regular" work avalible in my area. i was wondering what do you all see as fair pay for a babysitter. i typically charge around 7-10$ an hour. my mom says thats too much. i figure if people can pay someone like 60$/h to work on thier car than 10$/h isnt too much to ask for a sitter, cause arent your kids more important than your car?

what do you all think how much should a babysitter be paid?

Old 07-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
Re: Baby Sitters-how much are they worth?

hi girl im the mom of 4 and i dont need sitters anymore but when i did just a few yrs ago i would pay 4-5/hr what you want imo is a little too much but im not sure where you live, im in canada. sometimes its 3-4 an hr depending on the age. i know common sense would tell someone that hey its your kids why shouldnt you be paid more but for me to go out for 4 hours and use you as a sitter would cost me almost $40! thats a lot of money. you have to think of it a few ways, it is tax free and also most daycares or dayhomes charge parents 10-20/day for services thats about 1-2$/hr. it is really up to you in the end but you may find you get less business if you charge that much but remember to tell the parent first how much you charge so they dont get surprises! good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User
Talking Re: Baby Sitters-how much are they worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley0610
hi girl im the mom of 4 and i dont need sitters anymore but when i did just a few yrs ago i would pay 4-5/hr what you want imo is a little too much but im not sure where you live, im in canada. sometimes its 3-4 an hr depending on the age. i know common sense would tell someone that hey its your kids why shouldnt you be paid more but for me to go out for 4 hours and use you as a sitter would cost me almost $40! thats a lot of money. you have to think of it a few ways, it is tax free and also most daycares or dayhomes charge parents 10-20/day for services thats about 1-2$/hr. it is really up to you in the end but you may find you get less business if you charge that much but remember to tell the parent first how much you charge so they dont get surprises! good luck!!
well if you were only going out for a few hours say like 4 id charge 25-30 dollars. im talking like day rate being 7-10 an hour. i acutally babysa for this lady i called her ad in the newspaper and she told me she paid 8 and hour which was fine with me and i was like alright so i did it and then i went to her house and i babysat for 16 hours and then she only gave me 60 bucks and whne i asked about it she tol me that the only way she paid 8 and hour was if she was only going out for a few hours . she neglected to tell me that in the first place so you can imagine i was a bit angry cause like 2.50 and hour for two kids that are older (7&8) is a bit low. i mean its okay if you can pay soeone that much, but in all honesty i do a better job when im getting paid more. im not saying ill just ignore the kid if im not getting paid well, but id be more inclined to do more with the kid(parks swimming ect) if i felt it was worth my time.

btw im also in canada need a sitter lol!

Old 07-21-2004, 04:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I think there are a lot of variations in how much to get paid. I haven't baby sat in a while, but when i baby sat a little girl from my sons school (after school care, then a few wks of full days untill her mother left on maternity leave) i got 2.50-3/hour..which was fine by me. Most people honestly can't afford to pay that much. You'd be better off charging a flat fee for days. Most daycares around where i'm at, also canada (nova scotia) don't charge more than 25/day, 20 is about as low as you can get. So charging any more than 20-30/day would be silly. As far as hourly, it really depends on how many kids, the age of the kids and what time of day. When i used to baby sit for my mom's friends while they went out in the evening i would get about 20..that was usually only for a few hours and i could bring a friend if i liked, i also could eat whatever i wanted (which i think is standard these days). How much you charge depends on who your clients are, but what your asking sounds really high....if it's going to cost more for a sitter than to go out than its not worth it. The bottem line is you can only get what the parents are willing to pay, make sure you are very upfront about the prices and are willing to negotiate because not everybody can afford to pay what you are asking. Some parents may be able to afford what you are asking, but i bet alot aren't willing or aren't able to pay that much.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:11 AM   #5

SpeisFamily HB User

I used to babysit, this was a few years ago, but I would get like 20 bucks and a pizza for a night of babysitting. OK, now I am a parent and have checked out the rates of some day cares and WOW! they want over $100 a week. figure it out, 40 hours a week divided by $100 is about $2.50 an hour, I guess that is not too high if you look at it like that.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Inactive

maak823 HB User

I think that $7-$10 an hour is very high. Look at it like this - how much an hour do the people that you are sitting for actually make? If they only earn say $15 an hour and have to pay you $10- then they are working for $5 an hour- which would say to me, why work?
Also- figure people want to go to dinner and a movie- costs them about $70 - then they have to add $30-$40 on top of that for a sitter. Might as well order a pizza and rent a video.
While I agree that you need reliable, responsible care for your children- a teenager pulling in that kind of money is incredible. I used to get paid a dollar an hour- realizing that was a long time ago- I think that $3 an hour is more than sufficient unless you are caring for 4 children under the age of 10.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
(male)

dckatz2001 HB User

I agree that $7 - $10 /hour is excessive for a babysitter. [removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 07-27-2004 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Stay on topic. Be supportive not combative

Old 07-21-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckatz2001
I agree that $7 - $10 /hour is excessive for a babysitter. You may also want to revise your attitude about doing a better job when you are paid more. That outlook will not get you very far in any career.
honestly if im making a dollar an hour im really not motivated to do a great super duper job. money is a great motovational tool. the lady i sit for now gives me about 7$ an hour for one kid (a year old). now because im gettin paid so well and the fact that there is one kid i can do a great job, because i have nothing else to worry about but the one kid. now the lady that stung me along (see other post) was paying me 2.50 an hour for 2 kids that were likr 5 and 7 something. plus i had to clean her house. so not only am i making sure the kids arent killing each other, im cleaning up after them, all for 2.50 an hour. so by the time i paid for my gas to even get to this ladies house(95.9 cents a litre thank you!) i was working for free

sure you could stick your kid i a daycare, with a whole shwack of other kids, but isnt it nicer to have someone come to your house and watch your kid, and only your kid instead of haveing a whole brood of kids to look after?

Old 07-21-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maak823
Then honestly if you were watching my children and all that motivated you was money- you wouldn't be hired for very long
if you were my employer and paid me too little i wouldnt be working for you for very long.

all im saying is if someone pays thier mechanic 60 bucks an hour then they can certainly pay the sitter well too

Old 07-22-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

people expect sitters to entertain, feed, and watch their kids yet pay nothing! Don't put up with that. I think that $8.00 an hour is reasonable. More than that is probably gonna be hard to find unless they have several young kids. The younger the child the higher the maintanance, meaning the higher the pay. I think if it is a toddler 8 bucks is good or if there are more than one child. but if your sitting an 8 year old i think 5 bucks is fine even though it would be a waste of my time to work for 5 dollars an hour. Personally I hate babysitting. I have a 5 month old and enjoy being with him but not other people's kids. I am trying to type with him on my lap so I am sorry for any grammar errors lol!

Old 07-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by besafe20
people expect sitters to entertain, feed, and watch their kids yet pay nothing! Don't put up with that. I think that $8.00 an hour is reasonable. More than that is probably gonna be hard to find unless they have several young kids. The younger the child the higher the maintanance, meaning the higher the pay. I think if it is a toddler 8 bucks is good or if there are more than one child. but if your sitting an 8 year old i think 5 bucks is fine even though it would be a waste of my time to work for 5 dollars an hour. Personally I hate babysitting. I have a 5 month old and enjoy being with him but not other people's kids. I am trying to type with him on my lap so I am sorry for any grammar errors lol!
thank you! i have nothin else to say to you cause you said it all!

Old 07-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #12
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

I babysit for this one lady mostly. Her husband is a secret service for the president so they like to go out on weekends with out the kids but anyways.....They are around the ages of 11 year old girl, 6 year old boy and a 4 year old girl and I get paid about 4-5 dollars an hour. I just let the person I am babysitting for decide how much they are going to pay me. Personally I could care less if I got paid I just do it because I think it is fun. I usually bring a craft, tidy up the house, and do all the dishes in the sink so it looks nice when they get home. IMO that would be nice to get 7-10 dollars an hour but that is a little high I think. My mom pays our to be Au Pair/Nanny 7.50-8 an hour!!

Old 07-22-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
Inactive

maak823 HB User

May I ask how much per hour you last paid to have your son babysat?
I don't know about Canada- but where I am from - that is unusually high. I paid $100 per week to have a private sitter watch both of my kids in her home while I worked- she had them 8.5 hours a day, and provided excellent care - including arts/crafts, etc- not just sitting them in front of the television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besafe20

Old 07-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #14

Fur-ball HB User

[removed]

I would not pay a teenage babysitter more than min wage..but I would not pay less than 4 dollars an hour to answer your orginal post. If after a few babysitting trials they turned out to be exceptional. I would definitely raise the hourly wage up a few dollars.

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 07-27-2004 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Stay on topic. Be supportive not combative

Old 07-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #15

Fur-ball HB User

Quote:
the mechanic/babysitter connection is that if you can pay that much for someone to fix your car then you can pay well for someone to watch your children, because arent your children just a little bit more important than your car?
You are comparing apples and oranges. Just because I pay my lawyer $300/hr does not mean I would pay my teenage babysitter $300/hr to go out for an evening, because my children are more important.

A teenage babysitter does not need to go to college for 4+ years to earn a degree to look after my child.

[removed]

I think your mother is right on this one and you are asking too much money.

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 07-27-2004 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Stay on topic. Be supportive not combative.

Closed Thread