It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 07:07 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
questions about car seats

My 9 mth. old has outgrew his infant carrier car seat(he has reached the 20 lbs. mark) Can anyone recommend a good one to buy? Also when can I turn him forward facing? Some of the car seats I have looked at says rear facing up to 30 lbs. but yet they also say forward facing if from 20-40 lbs. Is it my decision or not? I have also heard about a law (I think they have to be at least a yr. old) Does anyone know or who can I call about this? Also , I see car seats with the bar that runs across them, and some without just like a regular seat. Is the bar safer or something?

Old 07-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: questions about car seats

oops I typed it again because I didn't think it went through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Personally, I prefer a 5 point harness. The bar is just too obtrussive for my kids and leads to a total nightmare with eating or drinking while in the car.

Being a year old is the guideline as that is when most children reach the proper height and weight. My son was in a carrier until he was 15 months old!!LOL The guidelines about rear facing up to 30lbs is for babies who are large but not yet old enough to face forward. Forward facing is for older babies and toddlers. You can call your local police station for the area regulations. You can also take your car to them to make sure the seat is installed properly. They do car seat checks for free

Old 07-29-2004, 03:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I have heard that age is more important than the size of your baby (since babies can very so much in size, my daughter was almost 30lbs at 1, my son was only 20lbs at 1). Since it's age that makes your baby strong enough to withstand a forward facing crash not size alone (ie they reach milestones at a certin age, not weight), i think this is why we are seeing a lot more car seats go up to 30lbs even 25lbs. I would pick a car seat that is easy to clean, some seat pads are easier to get off than others. You don't need to spend a lot of money on a good car seat, remember they all go through the same safety testing. I would go with something that can turn into a booster seat..that way your saved from having to buy a booster seat down the road. If you will have to switch it inbetween two cars than i would get one that is easy to put in and remove. A tether strap is a must, aslo, they have a new latch system for car seats, to make it safer and easier to install correctly in a car, i don't know if that is an option for you, but look for it (it may be called something else in the us i don't know).
Also, with my kids i have found the seats without the front bar to be better, with my first two i had the ones iwthout the bar, with my 3rd i have the one with, i found the bar just gets in the way and when they are little it really gets it their way, it's in their face. Just go pick something you like that will fit easily in your car....any carseat on the market has passed safety testing, also register to recieve any recall information (you should get a little car with the seat).
I don't know about the law thing, i would assume if you called your dmv they could tell you the info you want or atleast who to call to find this out. The bars are not safer, like i said since they all pass the same safety testing it really doesn't matter which seat you choose. The boxes really should say under or over 1 year, and also give the weights since they can very so much with babies.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:50 PM   #5

lil'momma HB User

Someone told me they make the infant/toddler car seats with a base like the infant carrier car seats. I have seen some that have a base but it is only to protect the seat, not the kind that easily snaps on and off . Do they make such a toddler car seat with the stay in base? I need to find something easy to get in and out since I will have to leave the car seat with my babysitter.

Old 07-30-2004, 02:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

As far as i know they don't, i haven't seen one. I think mostly because once the baby is forward facing the seat needs to be tethered in. I think the easiest thing to do would be to purchase a second seat. You can get them pretty inexpensivly these days. You can also keep your eyes out for a good second hand one (flea markets, new paper ads, 2nd hand kids store). Since they need to be tethered, and the seat belt needs to be in tightly it would really be a pain to have to take it out every day, it would be much easier for you if you could have 2.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I agree, I would just buy two. They are in them for so long that it's worth it. If money is an issue, when isnt it), you can buy one now and one later on.

Another thing about used seats, which I have used myself, is that you have to be very careful in selecting them. Once a seat has been in a wreck, it is considered too weak for use. Since the frame on seats is plastic, it can bend under the pressure of a collision. So when looking at a used seat, look beyond how used it looks and look at the frame. Good luck

Old 07-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #8

lil'momma HB User

I was told in a car seat safety class that you should never buy a used car seat. Only because the seat could have been installed in a car that was in a wreck. You can't always tell by looking at one but they told us that after a wreck, (if there was a baby in it at the time) the straps could have been pulled and may not function as well if involved in a 2nd wreck. Alot of people are not aware of this. So people DO NOT EVER buy a used car seat, only if you know the people well enough to trust that it was never in an accident.

Closed Thread