It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 11:29 AM   #1

lynn2004 HB User
Unhappy I have a 13 year old son who still wets the

bed. He is on medicine for this but it dosen't always work. His Dr. says that he isn't real concerned but isn't this getting kind of old. What medical reasons could be causing this and shouldn't his Dr. be looking at medical reasons? It is embarassing for my son, and it also creates alot of laundry and I do keep a plastic cover on his bed but sometimes there is an odor. Should I look for another Dr. or will he eventually grow out of it? Anyone have any ideas? Or andy advice?
Thank you

Old 07-31-2004, 12:33 PM   #2

dalesgirl HB User
Re: I have a 13 year old son who still wets the

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2004
bed. He is on medicine for this but it dosen't always work. His Dr. says that he isn't real concerned but isn't this getting kind of old. What medical reasons could be causing this and shouldn't his Dr. be looking at medical reasons? It is embarassing for my son, and it also creates alot of laundry and I do keep a plastic cover on his bed but sometimes there is an odor. Should I look for another Dr. or will he eventually grow out of it? Anyone have any ideas? Or andy advice?
Thank you

I would look for a new doctor. There could be a number of things. They could do a sleep study on him. It could be something as simple as he simply sleeps very deep but it could be a bladder problem.. it could be stress.. it could be a lot of things. How often does it happen? If after testing nothing 'medical' comes up possibly counseling to help him deal with his emotions about it AND to see if there's an underlying problem that causes it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #3

lynn2004 HB User

He does sleep VERY soundly, in fact when I have gotten him up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom I have to walk him into the bathroom because If I wake him up(which is hard in itself to do) and just leave his room he stands up next to his bed and pees, and gets back into bed, it is like he is not really awake. When he is not on medicine he will do it almost nightly.
Lynn

Old 08-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Theres a medication out called deseprimine,just for that problem.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User

We used an alarm system that wakes the child at the first hint of wetness in the underwear. It worked get for my 6 year old and 9 year old nephew. I think that your doctor should be more concerned about your child's self-esteem. Bedwetting is demoralizing to the individual. You don't need an Rx for the alarm. You can find one with a Google search. We got an alarm that sounded, vibrated and flashed a light. It wasn't quite as traumatic as it sounds. My daughter was really happy to have a solution to her problem. The first night we had a flood but improvement rapidly occurred and in two weeks we didn't need the alarm any longer. That is faster than usual but it was only 2 weeks for my nephew as well. Since your son is so old you might want to have him see a urologist first to rule out a physical cause.
Terry

Old 08-05-2004, 06:17 AM   #6
Inactive

Tracied3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2004
Thank you
Is he on any behavior type medications???? SSRI's, etc???
Sometimes those can do it. Stress and even spinal cord or central nervous system issues can cause the bladder to become overactive.

I would surely find a new doctor. There are several meds that can assist with overactive bladders and one is bound to work. Also do not allow him to drink any fluids after 7:00 at night. That will slow down urine production.

Good luck to you both!

Old 08-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #7

GreenBMP HB User

This is sort of embarrasing but I actually stopped wetting the bed at 13. I actually didn't wet my bed when I was younger like 4 5 but suddently started when I was like 6. I went to doctor like twice and they both said that It was just me that I was either drinking too many liquids or something like that but the truth methinks is that I was a very deep sleeper. It would take several minutes to wake me up in the morning so methinks that was it. However I say don't let your son think it's his fault... my mother used to try and tell me oh you have to do this or that, you're just too lazy to get up and go to the bathroom etc... and i'm currently 17 and I suffer from depression and I have a very low self esteem. I'm guessing it's connected. I also have social anxiety disorder. I'm screwed up. This is a serious post.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #8

BlueBelle2 HB User

Oh man, poor guy. You know thats gotta be so hard on him. Looks like you've gotten some excellent advice already. Good Luck to you all.

We used the alarm system with our daughter too (mid 80's). She had a hard time learning to wake herself up The system worked. That alarm was jarring!

My son had been staying dry all night when he was 3, at age 4 a brain tumor was found, after surgery and treatment he went back to wetting the bed. It wasn't a big deal to me because I knew he would eventually stop. He stopped on his own at camp when he was 10.

He's 13 now and I am so thankful to whoever invented GoodNights. Those things were a godsend. They make them in bigger sizes too. Not only did he feel more normal they really cut down on the laundry!

Last edited by BlueBelle2; 08-12-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #9
(female)

twotulips HB User

I used to wet the bed until I was about twelve.

The only single thing that helped me was too drink alot of fluid in the morning and then keep it in as long as I possibly could,I would do this all through out the day and at night I wouldnt drink anything.I wouldnt take my last drink at like five if I was going to bed at eight and then I would make sure to go to the bathroom right before I went to sleep adn then my Mom would set my alarm for an hour after I went to sleep and then I would wake up and go the bathroom.It didnt take me long before I didnt even need to be woken up an hour later and I could sleep throguh the night without wetting the bed.

It was weird,I would do it at home but at my friends or relatives house I never would......

Old 08-14-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User

Lynn, I tell you the underwear alarm is great for deep-sleepers. It trains them to be aware of their bodily signals. You can get the disposable bed liners that are used in nursing homes. I'm surprised to be the only one posting about it. Do your own online research. If there is not a medical problem it works wonders and the child's self-esteem is given a tremendous lift once he has control over his body. I personally know 5 children that have been successful. The longest took 2 months but she was only 4.
Terry

Old 08-16-2004, 08:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I was offered the meds for my son a couple of years ago. I declined because my son takes medication for asthma and ADD aalready. I felt he didn't need anything else in his system. He was 12 or 13 at the time and was wetting the bed about every other night. Now he's 15 and it's maybe once every three or four weeks. If your son doesn't have any pain or burning sensations, it's probably nothing to be all that concerned about.
Is there a family history of bedwetting teens or pre-teens? Late bedwetting tends to run in families. I wet the bed till I was about 12. My dad's brother was 16.
Barb

Old 08-18-2004, 08:25 PM   #12

lynn2004 HB User
Smile Re: I have a 13 year old son who still wets the

Thanks for all the advice, Where would I get an alarm system? I think it is something I would like to try. He is not on any other meds. We also have no family history (that I know about). I will also try some of the other suggestions like setting his alarm 1 or 2 hours after he goes to bed.Well thanks alot for all the info

Old 08-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User

If I post an exact link then I'll get banned. The name of the online store is called the Bedwetting Store. Use Google or whatever search engine you have to find it. I would go for the best model so that you know that you are giving it your best shot. Get vibration, sound and light to awaken the bedwetter. Expect at least one big flood in the beginning but your son is old enough to do the night time clean-up. I used a couple old-fashion "pee-pads" that I alternated. My neice bought commercial disposable bed-liners. I wouldn't even bother waking him up before the "flood". Let his brain learn to wake up with the wetness and then eventually wake up with just the sensation of a full bladder.

The alarm is suppose to be pinned to the night-cloths and then there is a wire that goes from the alarm to a sensor clip that is clipped inside the underwear. My daughter didn't like the feeling of it inside her underwear so we clipped it to the outside. We at first pinned the alarm part to her night-shirt but then she couldn't get it undone fast to pull her undies down and go to the bathroom. I think that we ended up clipping the alarm to a teddy bear.

Your pediatrician should have told you about the alarm. Ours did but we also had heard of it through a friend. It's not alternative medicine. It is based on biofeedback.

Terry

Old 08-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #14

davep1 HB User

medication should be left as a last resort he should out grow it but it is still normal for kids up to 13 to still wet i did and easy solution goodnight night pants and in my day they did not ahve them or any disposable products that large so i was stuck with cloth diapers and plastic pants not that todays disposable in teen and adult sizes are all that good but it would save on laundry and his embarrassment of his room smelling like a nursery

Old 08-29-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User

I bought the alarm for my son but he kept pulling it off. So we did use goodnights for him. It worked perfectly and he was especially grateful to have them when he spent the night at someone's house.
Barb

Closed Thread