It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
TV obsession

The only time my 18 month old will actually sit down and relax is when she is watching Dora. She dances and says backpack and map. She could sit there in front of the TV all day if Dora was on. She is use to watching it at least 2 times a day. She will point at our DVD collection and keep repeating Dora, Dora. I don't cave all the time, but sometimes I just need the rest. See I think that Dora is a good show for her to watch and it is helping her talk. My biggest problem is when I am at home my T.V. is on 24/7 even when I sleep. I can't sleep when it is not on, even if I'm not watching it, it is always on in the background. My daughter will watch any kids show that is on T.V. and when we change the channel she will start to scream and cry. When she does that I never turn it back. I am trying to break my T.V. habbit with very little success. It has been either rain or extremly hot here so I find it hard to go outside in the afternoon, so the T.V. is on. Does any one have any suggestions on how to keep her occupied without Dora or any other kids shows? I tried to let her colour but she would rather put them in her mouth other than colour on the paper. Any learning games? Anything that does not involve T.V.? Thanks for any help anyone could give me.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: TV obsession

My 2 year old just went to the Developmental Pediatrician last week. We discussed tv watching in young children. I leave the tv on for noise also. One thing I found out is how bad that is for children. Tv is not an engaging activity. It requires no interaction from the child. Shows are getting smarter now like Dora asking the child to help her find something. The only problem is that the child soon stops interacting with the show once they see that she will tell them "mui bien" even when they say nothing. We were also told that intense tv watching cause the brain to misfire as only certain parts of the brain are used. This is not a bad thing with occasional tv watching but hour after hour and it can become a problem. We were told to limit tv time to 1 hour a day for our kids.

My son like Blues Clues so we went and got him and interactive game with Blue. It asks where things are and such. I sit down with him and let him just push buttons for now. I have switched to having music on now.

I also made it a point that a few days a week, I meet a friend and we let our kids play at the park. If you go in the morning, they are less tired and it's not as hot. You also have someone to go with that way and the kids get to interact.

The biggest thing I would focus on is anything that involves interaction. HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread