It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Using utensils

I was just wondering how old should your child be when they can drink out of a cup, use a spoon and fork by themselves? I always just let her use her hands when she eats and she is 18 months old now and I was wondering if I was not doing my job as a mom. She is independent and wants to do everything by herself. She is kind of using a fork right now and drinking out of a sippy cup. How far behind is she, if at all?

Old 08-03-2004, 12:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Using utensils

Not behind at all!!YEAH Children master utensils somewhere between the ages of 2 and 3. An open cup is between 3 and 4. Right now sippy cups are great. This is also individual as the above numbers are only the norm.

Letting her eat with her hands right now sends her so many messages. She is learning about texture and motor movements through touching things. She practices her fine motor skills through picking up small things with her thumb and forefinger. She practices gross motor movements as she uses her whole hand to pick up larger things and put them into her mouth. It is such a wonderful time to explore!!

She has so many years to learn how to eat in an acceptable way. Right now, I would let her play with her food

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Okay good I thought that I might be doing something wrong. It makes me feel better. Another thing is I still let her have milk from the bottle, mostly because she says baba. Should I be putting that in a sippy cup now. She says baba and jui so I didn't want to get her confused.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 AM   #4

edaisy80 HB User

Give her a cup now since she is 18 months old. If you don't its going to be a hard habit to break. I let my son keep his a because he was my first child and I didn't want him to cry or get upset. He was almost 2 1/2 years old still drinking from a bottle. Big mistake. The worst thing about it was the fact that he started saying his first words when he was 4 months old, walking at 7 months and he already knew his color, numbers, shapes, and ABC's by the the time he was 26 months old. He only wanted the bottlw with his meals but it was harder to break him then my other 2. Because he would cry "I want my bottle" and when I wouldn't give it to him he would say "i'm going to tell my nana". I didn't know he was still getting a bottle at my moms until he said "I'll get my nana to gibe me my bottle." So you know what I kept him away from my mom for a week. He was off the bottle a week later and he was potty trained as well. My youngest son we took him off the bottle within a month after he turned one. We gave him a cup and threw his bottle in the garbage. He didn't like it but oh well. He knew that we were not going to give in to him. After the first day he was pretty much ok. After the 3rd day on the cup and no bottle he didn't even pick up another bottle. (My sister baby sit him and my niece while I worked.) My niece is 2 months younger then Caleb and she was still on the bottle. After about a month or so my niece started showing interest in the cup too. My youngest started her cup when she was 14 months old. we tried the same thing with Caleb but she would make herself sick and throw up all over the place. My mom bought some little open cups and she wanted them. We told her that her bottle was nasty and the cup was good. She was off the bottle in about a week. I let her throw her bottle away and pick out a new sippy cup.

Closed Thread