It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Where are we all at with school clothes and supplies??

School starts for us on the 25th and I am buying for all 4 of them. My younger boys have daycare, 4 year old has pre k, and the oldest starts middle school. Talk about stress!!LOL

Where are you all with getting everything ready for school?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

edaisy80 HB User
Re: Where are we all at with school clothes and supplies??

I'm done. I finished my boys shopping on Tuesday. I'm glad its over. They start back next Wednesday (the 11th). Good thing Christmas isn't until December LOL. I plan on starting that next month. I used to wait until the end of October or the First of November. Now with 3 kids its not as easy. I started school shopping in June. I would buy a little here and a little there. It was so much better because then I didn't have to take as big of chunks of money out of our pay. I used to wait until 2 weeks before they went to school. Just because I hate shopping period. My husband used to do all of the shopping and I would just give him a list to go by and the sizes the kids wore. He used to do all the grocery shopping and Christmas shopping too. LOL Then he was deployed for 7 months and I had to do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 08:01 PM   #3

party_guy_2008 HB User

Hey Im a 15 year old male, and this year I had to babysit for my sis, so I made some extra money so my mom is making me buy clothes that I want.... she is buying my brother clothes so she is going to buy me the basics ( tshirts,short, shoes ect...) I think this works good for those of you with teens. I dont mind buying things I want.... the bad thing is my mom has to pay 100 dollars for a graphing calculator for my algebra 2 class! YIKES!!!!

Old 08-06-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I thankfully only have to buy clothes and shoes for my 2...you have to buy the school supplies from the school, which works for me, it's only $25 for each of my kids (one in primary one in grade 5). They don't start untill sept 2nd though...so i have another month left.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

wow, my school starts the latest, it seems. lol On september 7th. im not sure if im goin to first semester or not, i might just go to 2nd semester..

Well, i'll find out Aug 31, that is register day... although i think i will be going school shopping next weekend/... i dont need much stuff. ana yay, this will be my last semester, then NO SCHOOL!! ) lol

ciao

Old 08-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Ahhh the joys of homeschooling! lol I don't have to worry about buying things for my kids in the summer. Often in September I'll buy things once they go on sale but I don't have to 'keep up with the Jones' lol

What I have to do is figure out what all I'm going to teach the kids this year and buy it. However, again, I'm not worrying about it till September either.

Jeannie

Old 08-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I homeschooled before I had all of the little ones. Coming from both sides I have to admit that keeping up with the Jones' is HUGE, at least where we are in the suburbs. I do miss being able to just dress them in what they like versus whatever is the rage at the time

Old 08-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #8

edaisy80 HB User

Well I made a mistake. I thought the boys started school on Wednesday the 11th of Auguest. They start on Tuesday the 10th. I'm really excited to go to the school on Monday to find out weather or not Caleb my yougest will have the same teacher he had last year. I hope so. He's in special education so he's going to mainstream more this year then he did last year. He will have 3 teachers this year. A special education teacher, a first grade teacher, and the same kindergarden teacher he had last year for story time will be his social studies & science teacher. I did forget to buy 2 things for school that he needed which I will pick up on Sunday. A belt and a pack of fat pencils (these things are so hard to find) LOL. Oh well. I will go shopping Monday to get all of his breakfast and lunch things for school. If I buy them before them he will con me into letting him have them and then he won't have anything for school. They've already conned mom out of the juices, chips, and jell-o I bought this week. Its ok though. I should have knew better then to buy them as early as I did. I will let everyone know how Monday goes. I asked Caleb if he was ready to go to school. He was jumping up and down saying "yes yes yes". Then I ask him who he wanted to see at school. I thought he would say Tristen his friend but instead he said "Ms. Wilson" his teacher from last year. She will be there either way on Monday so he will get to see her. The only bad thing about this year is he has to get up 30 minutes earlier then he did last year. So instead of 9:00 p.m. bedtime he will have to go to bed at 8:30. He has to get at least 10 hours of sleep to do well at school. Sometimes 11 hours. It all depends on his mood. Well good luck to everyone who still has to buy school stuff.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
(female)

ssborrow HB User

I have to buy for 4 kids too. Unfortunately, 3 of them are wearing adult size clothes, so it is EXPENSIVE! Then there is school supplies, and fees. I've already spent $300 in fees at the high school! ARGH! I thought public school was supposed to ge FREE. lol Yeah. Right.
Anyways, good luck to all.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #10

party_guy_2008 HB User

What was the 300 dollars for?

Old 08-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #11
(female)

ssborrow HB User

I paid $80 for yearbooks (1 for each kid at 40 a pop), $150 for my daughters drama club - she's a thespian, $60 for PE uniforms ($30 each kid), and $10 parking sticker. I also paid $20 to the cafeteria for lunches that will last them a whole 4 days, and $5 for PTA membership. Yipes, that's more than $300. I still have to pay $20 for my middle school son's gym uniform. I've spent over $100 buying school supplies for the four of them, and about $200 for their shoes alone (1 pair each). Now I gotta still get clothes! I gotta get a lotto ticket.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #12

party_guy_2008 HB User

WOW!!! That is a lot..... our yearbooks are 50 but we dont have to pay for gym uniforms we buy our own from the store so its a lot cheaper.... our lunches are only 1.00 too!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:15 AM   #13

edaisy80 HB User

Partyguy,

You posted that you had a summer job this year and bought some of your own school clothes. I think this is great that you helped your mom out. I did the same thing when I was 13. I baby sit all summer and I also washed dishes 3 nights a week at a resturant (under the table ) for $16.00 a night. It added up to about 2.13 an hour or something like that. I was really proud especially since I got to pick my own clothes and my mom didn't have to worry about them costing to much. I put them on layaway and payed on them each week. The only thing she had to buy was school suppies which was alot. But I was happy to help her out and get what I wanted also. My son is 9 years old and he dog sat for 3 weeks this summer. He made $30.00. (they wanted to pay him more but all he had to do was feed and water the dog I thought &10.00 a week was plenty). Anyway They gave him $30.00 and gave me $10.00. Well I bought him a game a feed days in advance and he was going to pay me back. I ask him to just take the $10.00 I was giving and buy himself a bookbag. (yes I did help him feed and water the dog because he went to see my mom for 3 days.) So he bought his bookbag. He also took the other money and bought his brother, sister, and himself something with the rest of it. He spent $12.00 of it on his little brother. He's dog sitting again this week while his friends mom is out of town and he will get payed for it too. The book fair will be coming to school soon and he will want something so he'll have to save half of the money for it and I will give him a few dollars to go with it. He likes to buy stuff from the school store too with his own money. I think its great that your showing such responsiblity at this age. A lot of kids would just blow the money on worthless thing but you helped yourself and your mom.

Closed Thread