It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 07:59 AM   #1

MTingMom HB User
Homeschoolers?

Any homeschoolers here? Ever talk about things like this? Am I in the right place?

I'd love to chat with some of you that do this.

I'm working from home and I'll be schooling my daughter starting next month. We'll be using DVD homeschool curriculum, so she will be self-taught (sorta )

Thanks for letting me post, hope I hear from some of you soon!

~Sandy
Mom, Student, SAHM, WAHM
[removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 08-12-2004 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Personal contact information is not allowed. Please read and follow our rules!

Old 08-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #2

SpeisFamily HB User
Re: Homeschoolers?

I started homeschooling for the first time last Monday and things are going great. I absolutely love it. I went to school to be in the education field so I feel what better way to use my education Are you using Abecka book? I couldn't afford Abecka as I have 2 children to school, 1 daughter who is 6 and in 1st grade and the other daughter is 9 and in the 4th grade so I went with Rod and Staff, they are pretty good and less than half the price of Abacka and Bob Jones. But they do not offer the DVD thing . It is really great to hear from another homeschooling mother. How old is your child? What grade?

Christina

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 08-12-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I homeschool as well. I have 3 kids, ages 6, 8 and 11. We've been homeschooling for a year now. I'll never put my kids back in public school if I can help it. They love the freedom that we have to pursue their own interests in learning.

We use a very eclectic mix of books. I figured out how my kids learn best and then go from there. My eldest is very hands on, my middle one loves workbook types and my youngest has major learning problems so we're trying just about everything I can think of! lol

Welcome to the homeschool community.

Jeannie

Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 AM   #4

MTingMom HB User

Yes, I am using the Abeka curriculum. The DVD school wasn't too bad, about $1000 for the 7th grade and it's fully accredited.

Homeschooling is about 1/3 the cost of private school, so we fell like we are saving a ton. Plus, by starting to work at home, I'm making money while she is school, so it's a win-win thing!

Best of luck to the both of you. Maybe we can keep this thread going and help each other through the year.

~Sandy
MT, SAHM, WAHM

Old 08-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #5

edaisy80 HB User

Sandy,
I was wanting to know how young you can start homeschooling a child. My oldest kids are in a public school. We live on a military base and they do have really great teachers at there school. My kids are learning alot. Their actually doing better here then at their previous schools. I was wondering if you have information on homeschooling for pre-k kids. My daughter is only 2 1/2 right now. Her vocabulary is growing everyday. She has alot of leap-frog products that she enjoys. She is also starting to pick up a little Spanish because of Dora the explorer. She will be 3 in 6 months. She keeps saying she wants to go to school. My boys ride the bus to school and were up at the school regually because my youngest son is in Special education and they are involved in alot of activities that parents and family are allowed to attend. I feel bad that she want to go but I don't want to put her into daycare. None of my children have been to daycare. But when she sits and cries I kinda feel bad and think that maybe I should send her once or twice a week. But at the same time I know I would be sick to my stomach worrying about her. So if you know of any Pre-school learning stuff I could look up I would really appreciate it.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
(female)

utahmomof4 HB User

I am homeschooling my kids also. My oldest is in Kindergarten this year. We are using A Beka, but not the DVD school. I work on academia with all my kids, ages 5, 3-1/2, and 2. My 2-y/o knows more than half of his letters, shapes, can count to 5, and knows his colors. My 3-1/2-y/o knows all her letters, can count to 14, recognizes written numbers 0-9, and knows all shapes and colors. My 5-y/o is starting reading. I don't believe there is such thing as "too young" to homeschool.

Like PinkPiglet, I love the freedom that homeschool affords, and also the control over what my kids are learning and when. I love that I can teach them not only basic academia, but also do so while infusing our values and beliefs, without the competition of the amorality of the public school system, but while still allowing them to learn how the world operates and choose their experiences.

I also work from home, but with the birth of my 4th child 2 months ago, I have cut back to 3 days a week, 4 hours a day. (I do MT also, Sandy).

Lori

Old 08-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

edaisy - Take a look at the Before Five in a Row program. It's a literature based program. I'm doing Five in Row with my 6 yr old and she just loves it.

Jeannie

Old 08-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

Hi, I'm so happy to see this thread! We are going to be a homeschooling family. My oldest son is going to be five in December and I am going to be ordering his kindergarten curriculm soon. I originally didn't plan to start until next fall, but he loves doing his "schoolwork" and already knows all his alphabet sounds so I figured we will try and if we have to we can do kindergarten again next year.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
(female)

utahmomof4 HB User

Hi Coppertop! What curriculum are you using for your Kindergartner? It will be fun to have another parent homeschooling a child the same age as mine (my son just turned 5 last month), so we can compare notes.

Lori

Old 08-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #10
(female)

dd annie HB User

Hi there. Homeschooling seems to be getting more popular as the years go by. I was a homeschooled student, and my mom is the one who did the teaching. It is much easier to learn, and it is much easier to concentrate also. Homeschooling protected me from the negatives of public schools. However, I went back to highschool for one year, 9th grade, and I was in the top of my class. Then, for the rest of highschool I was homeschooled. The negative side of my experience as a homeschooled child was the lack of friends and social skills. This hindered me in my adult life, and still continues now that I am 21. I have gotten better but I did miss out on a lot by not going to school. My suggestion, from the child's point of view, offer plenty of opportunities to be social, and to be around people. Happy Homeschooling all.

Annie

Old 08-18-2004, 05:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

Lori,
We are thinking about Christian Liberty Academy, or maybe Abeka. My parents used Christian Liberty Academy once for my sister and I was very impressed with it. I have to decide soon so we can order it.

HBAnnie,
Thanks for sharing your experience! I know we have been and will be very diligent about keeping our boys involved in things. I always say thats its a sad day if public school is the only place children are getting social interaction.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:07 AM   #12

kjudi HB User

I have several friends who use Abeka and love it. I use some hand-me-down things from them and have always been impressed with the quality. In my support group of 40 families, probably 1/3 use Abeka, none use Christian Liberty Academy so I can not comment on that. If my husband did not insist on a secular curriculum, Abeka would be my choice. I have three kids, 9, 7 and 5. Started homeschooling last year after overcrowding in the Oregon school system and culture shock having moved from Texas forced a change. As for socialization, we joined the local homeschool association. Between that and church, they seem to have lots of kid time. One of our big reasons for homeschooling was the negative socialization in the public school.

Old 08-18-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
(female)

utahmomof4 HB User

The negative side of my experience as a homeschooled child was the lack of friends and social skills. This hindered me in my adult life, and still continues now that I am 21. I have gotten better but I did miss out on a lot by not going to school. My suggestion, from the child's point of view, offer plenty of opportunities to be social, and to be around people. (Annie)

Amen. This is something I feel very strongly about. One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to critics of home schooling is the lack of social life. Unfortunately, it can be a very real problem. I don't believe the answer, though, is to sent your kids to public school just because they need a social life. However, that puts a lot of responsibility on the parents to provide opportunities for social experience. There are a lot of really great ways to do that, and it is entirely possible to home school your kids and still give them plenty of social life.

Lori

Old 08-18-2004, 08:54 AM   #14
(female)

utahmomof4 HB User

We will be using A Beka as well. I have had experience with it before, and have been very impressed with it. Not only is it Christian-based (but nondenominational), but it is also academically ahead of typical public-school curriculum, so children learn more things at a younger age, but without pushing them too far.

Lori

Last edited by utahmomof4; 08-18-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:27 PM   #15

DesertSkies03 HB User

Hi! I'll be homeschooling our 5 yr. old starting on the 23rd. In my opinion the public schools are just awful. Especially in our area. I myself attended public school for the most part and they were pretty bad at that time but are 10 times worse now. We'll be using traditional Catholic curriculum as it will allow us to instill proper morals and beliefs.

Closed Thread