It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran

letfayhol HB User
Going to be a good year

I just have that feeling...
This weekend we went to a State park. We went swimming, boating, exploring caves. hiking trails, and went to the zoo... It was awsome.
My son started running a fever lastnight and when I asked him what was wrong, he was worried (nervous) about school... We had our little pep talk and instead of putting them on the bus today I drove them to school...
I walked my 4th grader to his class, and his teacher appears to be extremely nice. I told her how nervous he was and also offered to help out in class anytime they need me... He was pretty relaxed by the time I left.
then I walked my 1st grader to her class, she found her desk and made herself comfortable... She isn't shy at all...lol
I also offered to help out there too...
I'm hoping to stay pretty busy with the kids school this year...
So, we had a great "last weekend before school" and from what I can see they both have good teachers and I am excited about this school year...

Oh yeah... Does anyone else have a chores/behavior sheet they follow?
I am more relaxed during the summer...Allow more, but when school starts we have a sheet that has about 10 different things on it...
They each have their own "household" chore and then they each have their room to clean and beds to make etc... Then on the behavior portion it has school attitude, manners, wake up on time etc...
I don't believe in "paying" a child for helping around the house "they live here too" but I have on the sheet that if they get 150 stars for the month then I will take them somewhere like bowling, put put, movie etc...

Seems to work here...

What are some things that others do? (just asking for conversations sake) lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

utahmomof4 HB User
Re: Going to be a good year

My oldest is only 5, so we haven't really started the "chore chart" thing, but I think he's getting old enough now to start having some things he's required to do for me. For instance, I make sure the kids take their dishes to the sink after meals, and then I have my 5-y/o and 3-y/o help clear the rest of the table. Also, my 5 y/o gathers up the small garbages from around the house when I am taking all the trash out and brings them to me so I can combine them all into a big bag. The kids also help me clean up their room before they go to bed at night, and pick up all the toys from the front room.

My husband's parents gave him an allowance for chores around the house, but then he was responsible for buying all his own clothes, shoes, and (when he was old enough) car insurance out of his allowance and/or wages from his job. That will likely be the same thing we do.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #3

edaisy80 HB User

Letfayhol,
It good to hear that your children have good teachers. My youngest son is in special education so he has the same special education teacher as last year. (she teaches kindergarden & 1st grade).She has been the best teacher he has had so far. My oldest is in 4th grade. He comes home talking about how great she is. They started school last Tuesday. His teacher used to be a gifted teacher years ago. They already did their first project yesterday at school. She also allows the children to have a mid-morning snack. She said thats it helps the children to concentrate better (which is true). She also send home a homework list for the kids for activities and homework for that week. I like this idea then my son can't say "oh I forgot to write it down." It also has to be signed everynight. Well I hope everyones kids continue to have a good year.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #4

edaisy80 HB User

P.S. My oldest has some chores around the house to do. He does get an allowance. Its not a super lot but its more then I ever got when I was a kid. He gets $5.00 on the 1st and the 15th of the month if he does his chores. If he doen't then he doesn't get an allowance. I'm going to make up a visual chart for my youngest son that will start at the beginning of next month. My oldest will also get a a chart put up to. I'm going to use stars for the chart and bahavior at school and home will be the biggest thing for them. I'm going to stop giving my oldest an allowance. But I will allow them to get one thing a piece if they get enough stars for the month. But their will also be a limit on the amount they may get. I like the idea of you taking them to a movies or something for their reward. My kids are starting to become little brats. I've been trying to break them from this the last year. I guess I felt guilty because their dad was always gone. Hes in the military. But maybe this chart will help. I know something that's I'm going to add on to it like:
1 Wake up without an attitude and get ready for school
2 Make up bed (doesn't have to be perfect but you have to show you tried)
3 Brush teeth and wash face
4 Eat all of your breakfast (this is a big issue with them)
5 Do all homework before asking to go outside
6 Use manners all day
7 No tantrum
8 Eat all of your dinner
9 Get ready for bed when told without fussing (includes bath)
10 Brush teeth
11 pick up all toys
12 Have all things avaliable for school the next day (so you don't have to hunt them down and waste time)
13 Put dirty clothes in hamper
As far as my oldest son he will also have to put away his laundry & he takes out the dog twice a day

My youngest so I want him to start watering & feeding the dog
I don't know if I'm missing anything or not. I'm going to the store sunday to get all the materials for their charts.
What does anyone else use for their charts?

Closed Thread