It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
(female)

bacardi73 HB User
need help starting potty training

My child shows great interest in going on the potty. He asks to all the time. The only problem is he just sits there for a couple seconds, then tells me hes done. Even though he hasnt "went." I am just wondering how do I get him to understand that he is supposed to pee in the toilet. He is aware when he has pooped in his diaper because he will come tell me. He also atempts to change his own wet diaper. So I think he is ready for potty training. He is 22 months.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
(female)

utahmomof4 HB User
Re: need help starting potty training

One thing I learned with my 2 older children is that a child may be physically ready long before they are emotionally ready. Even if they are initiating the interest, they may not be truly ready. Also, 22 months is quite young still. My advice would be to keep encouraging it. Keep putting him on the potty when he asks, and let him be done when he wants to be done. Eventually, he will really get the hang of it. Don't make it a negative thing by forcing him to sit on there longer than he wants to, or by punishing him when he goes in his diaper or underpants (if you are brave enough to try those already). PTing is a LONG process of learning and experiencing and finally gaining control, and the child really needs to take the control of the process to be successful. Otherwise, you are really only training yourself.

Best of luck to you, and hope this helps.

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User
Re: need help starting potty training

with both my kids (my 2 year old is about halfway thereto being potty trained) it started with sitting on the potty and not really going potty. After a while they just started peeing in it. And then they figure it out, especially when you tell them how big they are now and gush about what a good job they did when they actually do pee in the potty. It is a long process, and I found it tons easier than I thought it would be, you just go at their pace. They seem to know when they are ready. Children cant always go on command, and they cant always hold it right away. It is sort of a combination of bladder development, and emotional readiness. If you dont overthink it, its pretty easy. Just let them sit there, do whatever, it will come to them!

Closed Thread