It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2004, 05:51 AM   #1

me'n'3boys HB User
Unhappy Pee smell in the bathroom

Help, as the only woman in my house, I am constantly confronted with the pee smell coming out of the male bathroom. I have tried everything to get the smell out of the bathroom, besides moving or taking the toilet out and putting in a bucket! I noticed on your bed wetting post alot of you called for vinegar or lemon juice, Do you think this will work in the bathroom as well? Please help.

Totally embarressed to have company over.

Old 08-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Pee smell in the bathroom

Vinegar and water mix will clean the smell out of the bathroom as the vinegar neutralizes the urine. My best advice to you is to buy a few mats that go in front of the toilet. Little boys are notorious for peeing right in front of the toilet, as are some men With the mats, you can just change them out and wash them as needed. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 06:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I use diluted bleach in my bathroom and it works well, of course it stinks and gives me a headache, but i turn the fan, close the door and it's gone pretty quick.
The only thing i would suggest is get the man of the house (or yourself if you are good at these things) to lift the toilet up and check the seal. there is a wax seal that prevents the contents of the toilet from leaking out under the floor, if this goes and you don't catch it soon enough you will end up with a urine, outhouse kind of smell in the bathroom. We had this happen to us...for about a month we were bleaching the bathroom constantly thinking that my son was peeing on the floor by accident (he was 7 at the time), it turned out the wax seal under the toilet was gone and the subfloor underneth the tiles was rotted, we had to replace the subfloor and redo the tiles...not a fun job.
If cleaning is not getting rid of the problem than it could be the seal is gone on the toilet. Also, make sure it's not in the bathmats or anything else you have in your bathroom.

Last edited by MandyAnne26; 08-23-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User

My sister-in-law had this problem. Come to find out, their son was peeing in the heat vent. Make sure your youngsters aren't up to similar tricks.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User

My boys (5 and 7) were peeing thru the toilet seat and it ran down the back toilet seat onto floor. We replaced the wax ring too. I keep those Clorox wipes near the toilet and I wipe it up and toss it into the toilet and flush. It seems to help and I hope they outgrow this kinda gross male habit.I am the only female as well.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #6

davep1 HB User

alot of us have aiming problems as kids i got put back in diapers for having them it is hard to stand there and aim and not miss as i kid it a big toilet vinager works well for cutting the smell as does bleach just remember your boys are not doing it on perpose its jsut a bit hard to stand still for little boysand aiming is not there strong point yet

Old 08-31-2004, 01:00 PM   #7

MaO3 HB User

Hey Me'n'3

You don't tell us how old your boys are? I also have three boys and am the only girl in the house. When my guys were about 7, 9, & 11, I made them clean the bathroom. I told them it was virtually impossible for me to pee on the floor so it had to be them. They started cleaning the bathroom (especially the toilet area) once a week. They took turns doing it and guess what - in about 2 months thier aim had improved soooo much that we didn't have that wonderful pee smell any longer. It sure made a difference when they realized that they might be the ones who actually had to do the dirty job. If they are old enough try it! It sure worked in my house. By the way mine are now 13, 15 & 17 and very seldom do they make a mess now and if they do they usually stop right then and there and clean it up.

Good Luck
MaO3

Old 08-31-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My FIL is notorious for coming to our house and peeing on the floor. And it would humiliate him if I said anything. I think it happens when he sits down and he doesn't realize he's peed through the gap between the seat. So I just put throw rugs in front of the toilet, so I don't step in a puddle.

I've also noticed that sometimes if I don't clean the bathroom on a more regular basis -- stuff seeps up through the stick on tiles that the previous homeowner used to cover the bright blue lino. So every once in awhile I scrub down the entire bathroom with straight bleach -- just about knocks me out -- but my bathroom stays clean and fresh smelling a lot longer.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 08-31-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

MrOwl HB User

In my humble opinion all males should only stand to pee in a urinal or out in the woods. If there is no urinal in the bathroom then sit to pee. They will get plenty of experience standing to pee in school etc. Not only is aim a problem, so is splash. It is fairly common for splash to go three feet from the toilet. Noise is another issue, sitting is much quieter. There is no need to announce to the whole house what one is doing in the bathroom, especially when visiting in other people's homes. Yes, sitting does have the pee through the crack issue, but that is only one issue verses three for standing. A college buddy of mine used to say "If you have to stand to pee to prove your masculinity, then you do not have one worth proving."

Closed Thread