It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 07:33 AM   #1

wvfirefly HB User
Five year old having accidents in pants

Hi! I am in desperate need of some advise concerning my 5 yr old daughter. She is a twin with another sister that is a year older. When she was around 2 yrs old she potty trained herself. I was amazed! I caught her one day sitting on the toilet, with her dirty diaper on the floor. She was pointing at it saying "Yucky". From that point on she was using the bathroom. Lately, she has been having accidents. Not wet accidents, she has been doing-shall we call it #2-in her pants. This has never happened before with her. She has had an aversion to anything like that since she was so small! She has very rarely had an accident at nighttime, but when she did she was so upset that she was all wet that she cried. Now, she is doing this! I don't know what to do to help. She starts school on Sept. 7th, and someone suggested that she might be nervous. Another person has suggested that she may be needing more attention. I have taken up both suggestions very seriously and have been trying to work with her. It has gotten to the point that she quits doing it for awhile, then will do it again. I'm not sure what else to try. If anyone would have any comments, suggestions, advise, anything - I would greatly appreciate hearing it!

Old 08-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Re: Five year old having accidents in pants

Have you talked to your daughter about it? Maybe you should talk to her, if you haven't already, to try to get some insight as to whether or not there is some nervousness issues or anything of that nature. Is she only doing this during the night? Does she not realize that she is doing it?

Another thing you may want to try is to get her bowel movements in some sort of pattern. Have her try at the same time everyday so that maybe she can avoid having an accident.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

angelkisses81 HB User

Hey I know this is kinda old, just wondering how things went? How is she doing in school? I don't know but my five year old has had the same problem, sometimes he gets too busy doing something he forgets to potty, usually he just wets himself though, but other times he has told me the bathroom is scary, he seems to have a much more active imagination lately and is getting scared, he's never been scared to be anywhere in our house before & now all of a sudden he wants me by his side constantly.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
(female)

queenbluebee HB User

As a former pre-school teacher, it is normal for 4 to 6 year olds to have occasional accidents. I usually found these accidents if we were at recess they hold it to long and wait until the last minute to tell you they have to go. In the classroom, the kids get involved in the lesson and don't go.

Also, try putting an extra pair of cloths in her backpack just in case. Inform her teacher that way the teacher asks a general reminder question like does anyone have to go the bathroom. Pre-schoolers usually say no but I make a line and have everyone go anyway. Amazing how the no turns into peeing once they enter the bathroom.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I had remember "accidents" around that age. Two of them were on the first day of school. Once in kindergarten, once in 2nd grade. Both times I had a nervous tummy and what felt like gas. As I was trying to quietly pass gas, guess what??? There was definitely more to it that gas. I was mortified both times. The 2nd time I was 8!!!

I get irritable bowels to this day when I'm nervous or under alot of stress. Luckily I know now what the deal is and always go to the bathroom to be on the safe side. LOL. I'd probably still poop my pants occasionally if I took the risk of saying "it's just gas."

I'd be inclined to say it is nerves. My mom just talked to me about it and asked me if I had a nervous feeling and a gassy feeling when it happened. Then she told me she got the same thing, and that if I felt that way, I might need to go to the bathroom just to make sure there was nothing else there.
DD born 3/24/2005

Closed Thread