It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 11:38 PM   #1

kjudi HB User
Good book for puberty talk?

I have a 9 year old girl and it is time for "the talk". I am looking for an age appropriate book. She does not need to know about sex or birth control, just body changes and her period. I know I can just tell her about it but I want her to have a reference in case she is embarrassed but has a question. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 02:01 AM   #2

ScaredKitty HB User
Re: Good book for puberty talk?

Theres a book called "deal with it. A whole new approach to your body, brain and life as a gurl"

It may be a little too much for her at her age. But its more of a reference book, and theres a lot on puberty and essential female must know things about infections, periods, emotions and such in relation to periods. What to do about certain bad situations (rape, etc) It explains boobs. It does include things about sex, and masterbation (and though I feel girls should learn about masterbation, at around the age of your daughter, thats totally up to you. I just wish someone would have told me it was O.K to do, gets rid of a lot of guilt and feeling like a freak in your teenage years, but that all depends on you and your ideas) It isn't a book you'd read front to back. It's in sections, and it tells you how to shave and things like that. A lot of it may be too much for her right now, but its definately something I'd keep in mind for later, and maybe even get now and use it as you can, so that she will have access to it when she gets older if she turns into one of those typical teens/tweens who doesn't feel comfortable talking to her parents about her body and whats normal and what isnt.

Theres also a book called "whats happening to my body? a book for girls" A book called "whats happening to me" it explains puberty for boys AND girls (which may help her understand when the guys start getting squeaky and such in a year or two) and "the period book" and "ready, set , grow!" which is the "whats happening to my body? book for girls" but for younger girls. Im not sure of the ages, so that one might be more appropriate.

Might be worth it to check a few out first and find the one you like the best. The first one might be a little too much, but might be a good idea to havei t around incase she asks questions in the next year or so that arent covered by books for younger girls.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 05:41 AM   #3

flbeachbum HB User

I really like this book for girls called "The body book:it's a God thing"
It talks about the changes they go through in an easy text. I found it at a christian book store , also on the web at christianbook and at books a million - it goes betweet $6 and $9

Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We had a book called "What's happening to me". Sequel to the "where did I come from book" Set up like a story book -- not sure who the author is.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran

letfayhol HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
We had a book called "What's happening to me". Sequel to the "where did I come from book" Set up like a story book -- not sure who the author is.

That's the one I was going to suggest...
Actually though with my son, I sat down and I flat out told him the facts of time and I let him ask questions. I didn't "birds and bees it" but I did say that you should be married and nothing he needs to worry about "right now" and made sure he understood that "sex" is what makes babies and only a married couple who is in love should have babies...
I then let him read that book... He is clear about things and knows that any questions he has, he can come to me

Old 09-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #6
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

There is a really good one from "american girl". I don't know if you are familiar with them but it was popular not to long ago. The book is called "The Care and Keeping of You - The Body Book for Girls" it is 9.95 on the website but you can probably find it at your local library or at a bookstore here is the little explanation they give "This “head to toe” guide answers all your questions, from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to bras, periods to pimples, and everything in between." It is a preteen girl's guide to basic health and hygiene--from braces to bras, pimples to periods, hair care to healthy eating. It shows you how to put in a tampon which might be too much but I found it helpful when I started! I read it when I was about your daughters age. It explains them in ways they would understand.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:47 AM   #7

sivaarar HB User

I disagree that your daughter doesn't need to know about birth control and sex. At nine years old she is entering an age where even if you do not expose her to sex, she will be exposed at school. I have no doubt that she is an intelligent young woman, and will wait to have sex, but there will be 9 and 10 years old around her who aren't so fortunate, and she is bound to participate in conversations about it. What worries me is when children enter these conversations with plenty of questions, but without any facts or adults to recieve answers from. It will be very easy for her to learn the wrong things if you do not teach the right things before hand. It is never too soon to educate.

Good luck on finding an appropriate book, and I hope she feels she can ask you anything

Old 09-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

When I was young my mother gave me a book by Mariam Stoppard, I believe the name was Every Woman's Handbook, or something similar. I know that it answered a lot of questions for me. And I hope I can find it for my daughter when she is older. HTH

Old 09-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #9

emmswoccer HB User

A book that I have found extremely helpful would be the American Girl verision of Growing Up. It explains everything from acne to menustration. I hope this is helpful! Good luck

Closed Thread