It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Brushing Teeth

My girl is 19 months and in order for me to brush her teeth I pretty much have to pin her down. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get her to brush her teeth? She is at such a coping stage right now I thought if I brush my teeth with her she would copy, but she doesn't even get her teeth, she just moves it back and fourth pretending to do it. Also can I use toothpaste yet? I read somewhere just to use water because she might swallow it and it is bad for her. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User
Re: Brushing Teeth

They have toothpastes out now that are for younger children that are safe to swallow. Even though they shouldn't make a habit of it, it might help her learn and not hurt her if she accidently did. I don't have any tips on how to get her to do it though. Sorry! Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Actually, she is not pretending. She is imitating you to the best of her 19 month old abillity. To her, she is doing a good job.
19 months old is still young to go through tooth brushing. You mainly want to get in the habit of doing it along with the habit of having the toothbrush in her mouth. You can use the childrens toothpaste to get her used to something on her brush. I would NOT hold her down to do it as at her age, she can develop an aversion to it. Good luck

Old 09-08-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

I tried useing the toodler toothpaste today and she did a better job at brushing them and actually let me go in for a finale brush without the resistance. So maybe she just wanted something on her brush. Thanks guys and any other tips would be greatly appriciated.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

My 2 year old loves spin brushes...she'll use a regular toothbrush, but i can do a better job with her spin brush. Also, as far as the toothpaste is concerned, with kids under 5 you put so little on their toothpast it doesnt hurt them to swallow a bit, just teach her to spit. I use regular toothpaste with my daughter, but some kids don't like it, adult toothpast can be quite strong. Also, sometimes if you get an extra toothbrush and let her have her own to use you can take turns, that worked with one of my kids. Just make sure she doesn't play with the one you use, once the brissles get bent they don't brush well and can actually scratch their gums, so keep one to be the "good" toothbrush.
Make it fun and just make your goal to get one good brushing in a day, a dentist told me you should brush your kids teeth for them as long as they'll let you, mainly because kids don't do a very good job themselves so the parents get their teeth cleaner. i brush my almost 6 year olds teeth once a day (she does it herself before bed) and my 10 year old i do his a few times a week (he doesn't like me brushing them), but that has motivated him to do a better job himself.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I think you found the key with the Toddler toothpaste. My 17 month old son hated brushing as well. But now that there's bubble gum flavored toothpaste involved, he litterally runs to the sink when I ask him if he wants to brush his teeth. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2004, 04:30 AM   #7
Inactive

funkypinklizard HB User

i used to have this problem when i was a kid, id refuse to brush my teeth and now i really really regret it....tell her some horror stories tru or flase about what will happen if she doesnt....i know if my parents had actually told me or showed me what my teeth woudl look like if i didnt clean them, i defiantly would have brushed them more often

Closed Thread