It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
Angry Kindergarten brat

My oldest daughter Alyssa just started kindergarden a month ago and I have been able to volenteer there every week on Tuesdays. I work at night to make this possible. So obviously I know what goes on there.

Anyway there is this one little boy that just loves to pick on Alyssa. and the little monster knows I am her mom and will do it right in front of me, so of course I put him in time out but when hes out he does it again. I am not the only one that puts him in time out for this, the teacher and the teachers assistant do as well.
The last two weeks that I have been there I have delt with this kid. And for some reason the teacher always puts him in the groups that I work with.

On Friday when I went to the school to pick Alyssa up that little brat came running out of the school knocking over one of his and Alyssa's classmates and told his dad that I was the parent helper that yelled at him.
So of course his dad came running up to me to tell me that I am not allowed to punish his son. Even though he has to know that this kid is the spawn of satan. I explained why I punished him, but that didnt matter this kid was allowed to be a brat. So on Tuesday when I go to Alyssa school I know this kid is going to bother her, and like before I will put him in time out over and over again. The only thing I am worried about is that satans father is going to tell the other parents that I am a bad parent helper and try to get me kicked off the rotation. (which was a threat of his).

Fortunitly the teacher knows whats going on and gives me full control over disaplining the kids (oh and I would never yell at the kids I am always calm with them anyway disaplining = time out).
Any suggestions on what to do about this whole situation?
Robyn

Last edited by Im_Robyn; 09-25-2004 at 10:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User
Re: Kindergarten brat

Sounds like your doing everything the right way. I would have a meeting with the principal,teacher and the boys parent. It is the teachers responsibility to make sure all the students are safe and happy. It sounds like your daughter is not around that boy. If the teacher sees this boy in action maybe time outs aren't working. Sometimes when kids are disruptive there is a reason. If his dad yells at you then maybe thats where he gets it from. Monkey see Monkey Do.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:44 AM   #3

whowhat HB User

i agree....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....when my daughter was in kinder there was a boy that was like that tooo I was surprised on his temperment sooo angry for a 5 yr old...i too volenteer....one time I was coming into the school and his mom dropped him off and the little boy started walking in when he forgot something in the car sooo he turned around and started heading back to the car but the mom was already leaving this little boy started yelling sooo much cuss words then started flipping off the car....In class he acted no better...always pushing kids disturbing the kids he pretty much had to sit buy himself...and for some reason just like u the teacher seemed to always put him in MY GROUP....as well as my daughter and he woul snach pencils out of the other kids hands....but I talked with the parents and it wasn't to soon where i learned y he acts like this his parents deffended every action and was ****** off at everyone who dicaplined him...he didn't seemed like he was disapllined at home...he was allowed to act like that..but good news this year in first grade this little boy was put in another class then my daughter sooo she is happy and i am happy but i feel bad for the kids and parents and teacher that have him this year...

Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

As a third time mom of a kindergartner and K teacher I think you are doing the right thing when you volunteer. I know I always appreciate it when the volunteer appropriately disciplines a chid! It makes my life a whole lot easier and I appreciate having the parent do his or her part to protect the safety and well being of the other children.

I am dealing with the same thing in my own classroom this year, x2. I have already had two parents of other children share with me that their child was "scared" of each one of those boys.

I think that whenever this child physcially hurts another child he needs to be written up and seen by administration. They need to be aware of this problem for many reasons, including documentation for later on. This child will probably need other help and it won't be as readily provided if there is not administrative documentation. Many times a school psychologist will brush the problem off if the child is referred and there are no office referrals to back it up. I hate to say it, but it may take a visit to the principal or even suspension to get this parent of this child to recognize that there is a problem with his son. When the other children's safety and emotional well being is in question something needs to be done.

Nancy

Old 09-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I find it ironic when bad parents (and I dont care what anyone says, anyone who lacks effective or appropriate discipline is bad parenting) will do ANYTHING to defend the child they raise poorly. My neighbor is like that. The dad has a HUGE temper,and so does the kid, but if I reprimand the child for hurting my child, the dad jumps all over me. Then later the dad will be screaming and yelling "why is my son so bad? He is driving me crazy. He always breaks things. He is horrible. He never behaves", and all I can think of is "you want me to deal with his attitude and not say anything, yet when it affects you, its a problem". How selfish can you get?

Also, my mom works in the schools and is always saying the children who have behavioral problems due to (severe usually) parental neglect always end up with the parent marching over to the school one day over a discipline issue, to fight for their child, as if they are just the most concerned parents out there!

The kid doesnt get home-cooked meals, the house is a sty, kid is unsupervised and uncared for, usually dirty, but when it comes to getting detention, those parents will fight for their kids like nobody's business. Go figure

Last edited by hillaryb; 09-26-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User

I have been thinking a lot about this and even though the boy doesnt hurt Alyssa or the other little girls in the class he is still bothering them and distracting them from there work. So I will have a talk with the teacher about this on Tuesdays and see if maybe she could have a meeting with the boys father. He has also lost snack and resess times nothing gets through to this kid.

Oh I know its tough for the Kindergarten teachers having 25 5 and 6 year olds to deal with, I love volenteering and the teacher is cool enough to make sure I have Alyssa in at least one of my group activities. But I know I will always have that boy its okay though I dont allow him to annoy the other kids like the teacher does.

Well thank you for your responses its nice to know that there are people that understand and have delt with things like this before and that I am doing the right thing.

Robyn

Closed Thread