It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User
Please help me to rememeber the answer to this stupid question

Please help me to rememeber the answer to this stupid question, I should already know the answer to.

What temperature should you keep the house at (night and day temperature)when you have a newborn, when the furnace is on?

My son is 6 weeks old now. We will have to turn the furnace on in about a month or so. I forget what the temperature should be, I have 2 other kids at home my 2nd youngest is almost 8, so as you can see it's been awhile.

Normally I keep the house at about 63 degrees at night and during the day anywhere from 68 to 72 degrees. But I dont think that is the right temperature when you have a newborn. I know your not supposed to have it to warm in the house, yet is shouldn't be to cold.

At night when the furnace is on, I dont like the temperature over 65 degrees when I am tring to sleep, I have a hard time breathing, I feel like I am suffocating.

Thank you
Bren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #2

SpeisFamily HB User
Lightbulb Re: Please help me to rememeber the answer to this stupid question

I usually keep my house around 68 during the winter and 76 during the summer. We sleep with the ceiling fan on at night though.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 09-27-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: Please help me to rememeber the answer to this stupid question

LOL, yall would have a heat stroke coming into my house...we usually keep it at like 76 day and night. Granted, I keep a fan blowing on me all night. Can't sleep without it But, most everyone I know keeps their's around 68-69 day and night...we are just cold natured people I guess. I think it depends too, on where you live...ya know...the weather outside.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:39 AM   #4

SpeisFamily HB User

oooooooops

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 09-27-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

Thank you for your responses.

68 degrees and higher at night is going to be hard for me. Is it ok to keep the tempature lower then that at night, maybe at 65 degrees? Is 65 degrees to cold for a newborn?

My DH would love it if it was warm enough to wear shorts in the house in the winter, I just can't have it that warm.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I'm not sure if they have them where you live but I bought my son (when he was first born) those blanket sleepers that they wear like pj's and they zip up the front. I always put regular pj's on underneath during the winter because our house gets chilly. It's a very old house so the insulation isn't all that great. But, if you could get some of those I think 67 would be ok. The sleepers act as a blanket...I was petrified to put a blanket in his crib at night...so I loved these. I bought mine at BabiesRus.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I think it would be better to be a little too cool than a little too warm.Everyone in our home seems to sleep better when the house is a little cooler at night.i don't remember(we are going back like 17 years here,lol)really regulating the house temp much when my kids were newborns.i always dressed them warmly in the winter and used lots of blankets(we live in the frozen tundra of the north,Minnesota).even newborns seem to have a way of kicking or wiggling?out of blankets when they are too warm.One thing I did want to mention is to make sure you have a Co alarm installed somewhere in your home as if there is some sort of a leak, the newborn would most likely be affected first.Marcia

Old 09-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
(female)

fouradss HB User

I agree with marcia, I feel a little cool is always better that a little warm. I live in Michigan and blanket sleepers are wonderful. I have stocked up on them for this winter. My daughter is 5 months old. With one that is a little younger that a sleep bags that are really nice, because you can put a onsie and socks on underneath, and then maybe only need to use a light blanket. (if any at all) Just remember dress same as you plus one layer. I'm sure he/she will let you know if their uncomfortable.

Good Luck,
Alicia

Closed Thread