It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran

letfayhol HB User
Could it be illness or growing up?

Okay, as we all know, each stage of childhood is different. We aren't really prepared for each stage and each child is different. We do the best we can and hope for the best...

Anyway, I have a 10 yr old boy. He recently quit soccer as he said his knees hurt and didn't enjoy the sport anymore (had played for 5 years)

Okay now this is very warm blooded child. Dead of winter he has to have a fan, sleeps in his boxers and still kicks covers off.

Well just recently(about 2 weeks), he is cold. He needs 3 blankets and no fan.

He doesn't complain of not feeling well. He eats good, plays good, keeping up in school and sleeps well at night, getting plenty of rest.

So my question is... Is this sudden change of body heat due to him growing up? Is this maybe hormone changes? I figured the knees were growing pains, but now this(during the same time frame) I don't want to jump the gun since he isn't "feeling" sick. I don't know if boys go through changes like that as they get older.

This child has a history of always having back luck in the illness department. I hate to take him to the doctor out of fear of what I might be told next... But I need to. Even if it for my own peace of mind.

I am just hoping someone knows that changes in body temp is in fact a part of growing up, just like knees hurting due to growing pains.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

mystiq86 HB User
Re: Could it be illness or growing up?

Granted I am only a teen, merely looking in on the parenting issues...

However, I think you should take him to his pediatrician. If there's something wrong you need to know. You can't continue not addressing the issue. The sooner you figure out what's wrong, the sooner you can begin helping your son.

I wish you and your son the best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
(female)

natthebug HB User
Re: Could it be illness or growing up?

I have a friend who had some pain in his knees, he was 23 he was a skater for many years, they ended up finding cancer in his knees. I say take him to the dr, if it is something seious you want to catch it as soon as possible, ignoring it will not make it go away. My friend died 2 years after his battle with cancer, one thing they waited too long to start treatment, and didn't amputate the legg when they should have. Early treatment is the best chance he could have had. I am not saying your son has cancer, but even if it is arthritis or something that sport is causing you need to know so you can help him get thropugh it, and recover.

Closed Thread