It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User
Am I overreacting?

My oldest daughter started kindergarten this year and last week she came home with some of the things she had made that day and one of them was a flag from mexico . Now, we live in the USA. So this broght questions up to me so I called and asked the teacher what the deal was I was thinking that maybe the were going to be making a different flag every month or something but no this is the only one they plan on doing as of now so My question to her was well since we live in the USA and we are americans why didnt they make a flag of the USA ya know 13 strips 50 stars but no they dont plan on doing that. This is upsetting to me am I just overreacting here or what? And before you all make any assumtions I am not racist or anything like that I just feel that my daughter being 5 years old should be making a flag of the country we live in not some other one.

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
Re: Am I overreacting?

In my opinion, yes, you may be. I have an 8 year old daughter in the 3rd grade and I know that they learn about all different cultures which I believe is important. Maybe you just jumped to conclusions, meaning that just because they aren't planning on making an American Flag, doesn't mean that they aren't going to learn about the United States. I'm sure your daughter has seen many American flags before, especially lately with the war going on.

I'm sure your daughter's teacher is going to provide them a well rounded education including all different cultures but my suggestion would be that if you are that concerned to possibly ask the teacher for a copy of the lesson plan so that you can see exactly what your daughter will be studying. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I can see why you'd be upset only because of the age of your daughter. In my opinion, they should be STARTING off with teaching them about America first and then move on to other countries and cultures. They did something similiear with my daughter when she was in Kindergarten. If this were any other country, I really don't think that they'd start off with America and then move from there (if we got mentioned at all).

Last edited by KimRick; 10-12-2004 at 12:38 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #4

SpeisFamily HB User

OMG this exact thing happened to me, you must live in San Diego. I lived near SanYsedro My daughter was put into a special english speaking class, because the rest were all spanish or mixed. I didn't mind her learning spanish and was glad when she did but when she came home with the Mexican flag I was a bit upset. I asked the same question, are they learning about all of the countries, NO. They were celebrating the independance of mexico and since we lived only 5 minutes from the border they felt it was very important. Since my husband was overseas fighting for this country I thought that it was important to celebrate the independance of our country but since the 4th of July falls during summer, they never did learn anything about America although they spent the whole month learning about Mexico. And this is what my husband is fighting to protect, Go figure.

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 10-12-2004 at 01:20 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mommajessibelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeisFamily
OMG this exact thing happened to me, you must live in San Diego. I lived near SanYsedro My daughter was put into a special english speaking class, because the rest were all spanish or mixed. I didn't mind her learning spanish and was glad when she did but when she came home with the Mexican flag I was a bit upset. I asked the same question, are they learning about all of the countries, NO. They were celebrating the independance of mexico and since we lived only 5 minutes from the border they felt it was very important. Since my husband was overseas fighting for this country I thought that it was important to celebrate the independance of our country but since the 4th of July falls during summer, they never did learn anything about America although they spent the whole month learning about Mexico. And this is what my husband is fighting to protect, Go figure.
This is exactly what I am talking about no we dont live where you do we live in Iowa. However I feel exspecially with the war going on that they should be learning about america FIRST and not some other country.I wouldnt have minded it if she would have told me no we are learning about all the countries but that is not the case I dont know what to do but both me and my husband are very upset about this and I feel that we have every right to Im sure they are not making american flags in school in japan or anywhere else for that matter Im sure they all learn about there country first does this make sense to all you?

mother of 3
Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 10-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

makes sence to me...i would want my DD to learn first about her country then others,

but were they celbrating hispanic heritage month or something...i kept hearing about that on tv a week or 2 ago....if that was the case it should be okay ..but if it was the case you would think the teacher would have said so.....

Last edited by Chrissi; 10-12-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I would do what the other poster said and find out what the plan is and if they are doing ALL the flags. I think anyone can be proud of their heritage but if you love it so much then GO back there! Otherwise if your living in our country and your free and working and taking advantage of what we have to offer then hang our flag beside your countries flag. Now if this teacher does not teach about other countries or flags then I think there would be a big confrence if not media. hehahaha I have become submissive in alot of ways with certain conversations but on this one I will have to stand tall. Good luck. Make sure you send her to school in a big flag shirt! lol

Old 10-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I am not by any means racist, but I do have major issues with the teachings. My story is different, and I am very upset by what I have experienced with my children.

My daughter is 10 and is hearing impaired and is not allowed to go to school in district because they cannot accomodate her needs, so the district is paying for her to be educated about 20 miles from our house......all because she relies on sign language in the classroom. Then they tried forcing my daughter to begin learning Spanish. Well, I threw a fit about that, because being hearing impaired.......she struggles with English!! So, finally they agreed that they would not focus on introducing a second language at this time.

Well, my son started Kindergarten at our school district this year.........and now I am more mad than ever!!! Reason is this.............I went to my sons school for an open house (which is the same school that my daughter would have started in).......and they introduced all of the teachers in the school. Well, this school is Kindergarten through 3rd grade.........and there are about 40 teachers!!! Half of them are interpreters for the Spanish speaking children!!! So, that just made me burn on the inside seeing how they have provided all of these interpreters for the Spanish speaking kids, but couldn't get another one to interpret Sign language for my daughter!!!!!

Then in my son's classroom I was very upset to see not the American alphabet posted around the classroom, but the Spanish alphabet. THIS IS AMERICA!!!!

The number line in the classroom has for example..........the number 1 with "ONE" written above it and "DOS" written below it!!!

Then I find out that the AM Kindergarten class is taught only in Spanish!!! What happened to trying to teach these kids English?????

What country are we in?????

So, to answer your question................NO I don't think you are overreacting!!!

Last edited by barton93; 10-12-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:58 PM   #9

Gtonello HB User

To the first poster, my opinion would be this - our flag is a LOT harder to make (think 50 little stars) than the flag of Mexico. I agree with the response that before you get angry, ask the teacher for the lesson plan, see what they are teaching.

Yes, we live in America, but learning about other countries is important to our OWN culture. The US is and has been called the "melting pot" of the world. People who have fewer opportunities in their countries come here for freedom - of religion and other things.

Also, to the person who said, "I think anyone can be proud of their heritage but if you love it so much then GO back there!" First of all, not everyone who is proud of their heritage has come directly from a specific country. I am Irish, Scottish, Welsh -- among many others, and I am proud of all of my heritage. I was proud to learn about the countries my family came from, and if that had not been given to me, I would not be the person I am today.
Remember, the only original "Americans" are the Native Americans. Everyone else is from ANOTHER country!!

Now, if all they are teaching in a school in Iowa or wherever is about another country, whether Mexico or England, that would be a little silly, since most of the kids in that school will never even come into contact with that culture. But to exclude it, in favor of pride for America, would also be a major wrong, IMO.

Just my 3 cents.

Have a great day!
G Tonello

Old 10-18-2004, 09:41 AM   #10

SpeisFamily HB User

The problem, gtonello, is that they are not teaching about all the other countries, they are ONLY teaching about Mexico. I would not mind if they taight all the countries but if you are going to teach about only one it should be the one we live in!!!!!

Old 10-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #11

syndyhall HB User

I know exactly what you mean. I am a mom in Iowa and everyone hear is speaking spanish. I guess I feel like if a person tries and they go learn english then it is not a thing. But I know what you mean. I mean if a teacher has got to learn spanish now than thats a problem. Does that mean i'm racist?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM   #12

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

I can understand learning about other countries when the child is OLDER, but not their first day of school. Schools should focus on teaching the children about OUR country first, and learning respect for our country, THEN learn about other cultures.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Yes I think you are overreacting. Your daughter will see the american flag everyday at school and will always be a part of her life and she will have plenty of time to learn about america. Why not let them learn about a flag that they don't already know about. I mean we see the american flag all the time so it would be kind of uninteresting to make it (just my opinion). If you are concerned why don't you an her make an american flag in your home and you can explain our countries history.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

It is very disturbing by the way to read some of the other posters comments. Don't you want your children to understand different cultures? Spanish people make up a large population in this country. it has become more important than ever to learn spanish. It is a huge benefit when it comes to getting jobs in this country! I want to learn spanish I cannot count the times I have needed it when it comes to communicating with others. Geez guys your kids are living in america so obviously this will be their language and culture! It is not going to hurt them to learn about others who live here! Totally overreacting everyone! And it does come off as racist that this bothers all of you so much.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 PM   #15
(female)

franstranges HB User
Wink Re: Am I overreacting?

Hi, I am from Canada. Back in elementary school, because of the lack of text books, I had to learn about American history and the White House, not Canadian heritage. And just to point out, American culture is a little more abstract than mexican culture. Plus you want to instill at a young age appreciation for other cultures. Not to mention statistics say that by 2011 spansih will be most popular spoken language in North America. I am glad to see your patriotism, and understand and personally appreciate your concerns however, I can also see the other said of the fence on this. Its good that you voiced your concerns to your daughter's teacher, but if you are really concerned maybe start going over your heritage/culture with your daughter yourself.
Good luck
Francesca

Last edited by franstranges; 10-19-2004 at 09:36 PM.

Closed Thread