It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
How will I know when she is ready?

My Daughter is 22 months old and I am not sure how to tell when she will be ready to potty train. I am a 1st time mom and have not gone through this before. We have the potty chair and I think she knows what it is for. When she knows that I am going to the bathroom, she will run over and sit on her potty with her diaper on and say "POOP" Mommy!

I know this is kinda weird, but at night when we are brushing our teeth I will run over to the toilet to go one last time before bed and she has seen me do this before so now at night when she is brushing her teeth she likes to sit on her potty until she is done brushing. The problem I have is that she gets upset and cries when we take off her diaper and have her sit on the potty. So we do not force her, we just try this a few times a week and everytime she acts the same way.

We have had her potty chair in the living room and she likes to sit on it and watch TV and play with her books so I do not know what her problem is sitting on it w/out the diaper. She loves to be naked and I have let her go as long as an hour w/out the diaper and she has yet to have an accident on my floor. And before we put another diaper on (w/a huge battle BTW) I will try to have her sit on the potty and go since I know she has not gone in a while, and she hates it.

I am in no hurry to train her at all. I am a SAM so we have all the time in the world, I am just not sure if we are doing the wrong thing by leaving out in sight all the time so she thinks it is a toy instead of having a purpose.

Thanks for any advice you all might have for me!

Have a good one!
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 PM   #2

ES~38~MM HB User
Re: How will I know when she is ready?

Hey Kim! Long time no talk! I think you're doing a fine job. She'll get the hang of it in time.

~ K

Last edited by ES~38~MM; 10-13-2004 at 11:03 PM.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

i don't think you are doing anything wrong at all. She is role playing right now, it's important that you keep up the no stress feel of it, i wouldn't even attempt to have her sit on it without a diaper if she doesn't like it. She is at an age where it is ok for her to not want to use it. I think these days too many parents put too much ephasis on getting their kids train, kids will do it in their own time.
My first 2 kids were closer to 3 before they were fully trianed (completly out of pullups, even when we went out), my 3rd trained herself, she was about 21 months old and we had a potty for her, well one day she decided that she wanted to use the potty (the little seat on the big toilet, she doesn't like to sit on the actual potty chair), well, she peed, so i started leaving her diaper off, got her some big girl underwear, and after a few months of occasional accidents she's not almost completly out of pullups (she's 26 months), she only wears them to poop (she doesn't like to poop as it is so i'm not going to force the issue of her pooping on the potty) and if we are going out somewhere where i can't bring her potty seat and we will be out a while (like the mall or a long drive). Now even if she's got a pullup on she is reluctant to pee in it, she will go hours without going untill we get to a bathroom. So all kids are different, let her play, wait a while (a month or so) then try again to take her diaper off and have her pee on it, also try to see if she likes the seat on the big toilet better.
you can also try to get her some big girl underwear (none of my kids liked the thick training pants, so i've always used just regular underwear) see if she'll wear that.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I saw a Dr. Phil show that specifically talked about how to potty train without tears. You are supposed to get a stuffed animal or doll to be the 'role model' and pretend that the doll is using the potty. Also ask your child who they like the best - in the show the two separate families children both picked Nemo! Then tell the child that when they have gone potty by themself they will get a phone call from Nemo (or whoever). They showed the kids progress and it worked for both of them. Maybe you could look up Dr Phil's website and find out more info.

Myself, I used a book called "Denny the Dinosaur." It was a whole package where you got a poster board with stickers that they would get when they used the potty. Also used an M&M dispenser for them to put a penny in when they were done. Worked okay for us.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

I saw that episode too, but the kids that they were doing that with were in their 3's I think. She is still to young to "BRIBE" I think. I try it everyday and it never works! I am going to go today and look for the baby that drinks and pees. She loves her babies and I think that approach will work for her when she is ready. I am really not in any hurry though, I was just worried by having the potty chair out and her playing with it would give her the wrong impression. Like, maybe she would never get that it was actually something besides a toy. Right now she happens to be sitting in my bedroom and she has brought the potty chair in here and she is sitting on it watching Seseme Street and drinking her OJ! It is really funny to watch her do this. She has several little chairs throughout the house that are just her size and she uses all of them. Sometimes she just gets it in her head that she has to have the potty chair for a few minutes and then she will move on to something else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep reading and see if I can find that pee pee baby that Dr. Phil uses.

Have a great one!
Kim

Closed Thread