It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #1

WildSigns HB User
I know rear facing seats are the best but...

O.k., I know that the rear facing baby seats are the best but, I am more worried about my baby choking then I am getting into a accident, I mean I am bad, I have pulled into a parking lot because he was too quite. I don't mind rear facing if other people are driving or in the car, but when I'm alone, i get real nervous.

Has anyone turned there baby's forward (hes 2 months old) when they drive alone? I know of one person that does, I haven't really asked to many other people thou. I don't want to be a bad mother by turning him to face me, but I don't want him choking either.
any advice would be appreciated
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: I know rear facing seats are the best but...

I thought about it for about half a second. Then I realized that if I was obssessing about the baby, I wasn't paying attention to the road. One good thing about the rear facing seats is that the baby isn't laying flat. Not propping a bottle or having things around their face can really lower a choking risk. Bascially, take away anything they can choke on.

I would have to say the chances of him choking while rear facing are MUCH less than the chances of him getting hurt should you have a wreck. Also, it is impossible to watch his every move and drive too. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 04:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

I think that if you ever got into an accident you would regret your decision to put your child forward facing for the rest of your life.....it's just not worth the risk. I think the risk of your son being hurt in an accident is far great than him chocking. Also, you can buy mirrors that you stick on the back of the seat in front of him so you can keep an eye on him (i believe that fisher price..i think...makes a car seat with a mirror attached...i forget what it is called). Also, it is probably illegal to have a baby who is riding in a rear facing carseat facing forward, they just aren't ment to work that way.
It can be hard to try to not obsess over every little thing with a new baby, but just try to relax, like mommyof4 said, just make sure everything that he can choke on is taken away....i wouldn't even leave a bib on my kids if i wasn't able to watchem them fully. Just try to relax a bit.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #4

WildSigns HB User

Thanks for the replys I will have to look for one of those mirrors, hehehe I know I'm a nervous nelly but hes my first. again thanks

Old 10-15-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
(female)

fouradss HB User

I have just recently stopped using the mirror!! I loved it, they work so nice, and I would still be using it if I could find a way to attact it to see her. I got a new vehicle and the next step up carseat. I got mine for my shower, but I know you can get them at Babies r us.

Closed Thread