It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Winter Coats for Toddlers

Last year I got spoiled rotten 'cuz I had a carseat carrier for DS with a nano bag inside. So I didn't have to stuff him into a snow suit or bulky jacket.

I got him a good winter coat, but the poor kid can't seem to bend his arms -- looks like a giant marshmallow. He needs the coat 'cuz day care does have the kids outside playing in the snow during the winter. Just wondering what other parents in cooler climates do during the winter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Winter Coats for Toddlers

LOL. I know what you mean about a marshmellow. I'm in TX, and was in Alabama last winter, so my son only needed his coat (or snowsuit) occasionally. But he couldn't move.

We put a light windsuit jacket on him the other day because it was chilly and pouring rain, and tied up the hood. He fussed and looked miserable and struggled with the hood and the sleeves the ENTIRE time. He kept pulling at the hood and flapping his arms up and down. And making his frustrated yell/growl noise. DH and I were realizing that the child hasn't even worn long sleeves in like, 7 months. Almost half his little life, and way too long ago for him to be able to remember. I don't know WHAT we're going to do when he actually needs a heavy coat. He hates anything restrictive!
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 10-18-2004 at 03:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran

camden HB User

Why should your child be any different than me LOL(this is why I hate winter). I too look like a marshmallow in my winter attire (at least I feel like one)! I live in Canada and at this moment there is snow on the ground and it will probably stay there until March. This means that I will have to dress my children like the Pillsbury Dough Boy about 8000 times before it's all over.

I think I just realized when I started hating winter so much...It was when I traded my (warm) marshallow snowsuit in for something much more fashionable and a heck of a lot colder! No wonder the kids love winter...an nuclear bomb couldn't penetrate all of those layers.

I'm not sure that there is much you can do about the situation. If the coat is brand new you may want to try running it through the wash a couple of times to "loosen it up" a little. Don't use hot water though, I learned from experience that this causes all of the insulation to fall to the bottom of the jacket.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

i am about to face this same issue...my DD just turned 1 and we live in OHIO....it is already cold here and a jacket is a must nearly everyday. we already have to run our heater...

i am going to buy a heavy coat soon, and thanks to the last poster about the hot water and insulation....my DH thinks everything must be washed in HOT water lol

Old 10-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

This thread makes me laugh just thinking about the mess we went through batteling our DD last winter. I gave up on the big bulky snow suits. I finally started dressing her in layers. We would warm up the car and just put a sweater or sweatshirt on her w/a thin insulated jacket. It was usually already warm inside when we got to our destination & I would then be able to take of the sweater or sweatshirt & she would have on a comfy shirt underneath. I also discovered that she would tolerate a seperate hat better than the hood on her jacket. And then we had the big heavy snow suit if she wanted to go outside and play. Which she hardly ever did because she could barely move in that stupid thing. It will be interesting to see how she handles it this winter. She is an outside gorl if I ever saw one.

Good luck with your little one & let us know how it works for ya!
Kim

Old 10-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We're close to Canada -- NoDak! One person told me about some pants that can be pulled up to the chest and then they use a hat and I suppose a blanket for in the car. Saw something like that on a camping/sporting goods website.

Doesn't help that he's in between sizes -- 18 month and 2T. Tried a 2T ski jacket on him at the store and the poor little guy was so top heavy, he tipped right over. I got him the same brand of snow pants last winter on clearance. Mainly he'll need the jacket and pants for school. I just hate having to throw a heavy blanket over his head like most parents seem to do around here.

Closed Thread