It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Arrow Mil Update !

Just to fill your girls in on the most recent. My husband called her and told to come over at 4 PM on Sunday and he would fix her car. I decided that we would just stay in the house w/the door shut and hope for the best. Hubby went out to mow at 2 and she pulled in the driveway at 3. An hour early, and I was outside playing with Riley. I said hello to her and then exused ourselves to go inside and take a "nap". My husband kept mowing!!! He did not shut the tractor down until straight up 4 PM. I could not beleive it. I eventually felt sorry for her and ended going outside to offer her something to drink and we visited for a few minutes. THEN she ran over to Riley and picked her up and HACKED right in her little face. I took Riley and said that Mark should be done in a minute and we went in and shut the door. That just made me angry. It took him a whole 45 minutes to fix her car and then she left.

THEN.....at 4 AM Monday morning Riley woke up caughing and sneezing and screeming. We have been up all night since last night and I am about to fall out of this chair I am so tired. I would like to be able to blame the cold that Riley has on the MIL, but she was running a slight fever and just basically not herself most of the day on Sunday before she even got to the house.

I guess no matter how hard you try to keep your kids from getting sick, it's going to happen. So I basically got all fired up for no reason. I should have known it was not going to be that big of a deal and just dealt with it.

I wanted to thank everyone for being there and for being so supportive. & we can actually keep the thread going if anyones up to it. I kinda like to know I am not the only one in this world with a nutty family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Mil Update !

Sometimes kids being around people sick or not helps to build their immune system. Have kids that are 4,3,3 I know that you can not protect them from the germs. I just try and wash their hands after the store and parks. Actually after a park I usually get them in the bathtub. I can't believe your MIL coughed in her face. Argh! Maybe your MIL will get Riley's cold. hahaha Evil I know...
I would get into family's with you but I don't want pitty and if you heard about how my mother, brothers, sister and Aunts and Uncles were you would wonder why we are not on Dr.Phil! It amazes me that I have friends that actually know these people. lol Let's just say we function dysfunctionally! Talk to you soon.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Sorry to hear that the baby is sick but it's good that the visit didn't turn into a day long affair. Shame on DH but I know how they can be so it's kind of wasted

As for families, I have too much pity on mine to throw them on Dr Phil. I know he would turn it into an hour long saga, people would cry, a few might stomp off, and there would FOR SURE be a follow up show!!... Why put em' through the drama???LOL

Old 10-20-2004, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I work with a woman who sends her child to daycare, but scrubs the poor kid down right away when they get home at the end of the day. She refuses to let her child go to the playground 'cuz of germs. I have a child with CF and I wipe down the grocery cart with a antibacterial wipe 'cuz I KNOW he's going to gnaw on it. But he goes to day care. We do keep him away from germy people -- friends and relatives know to stay away if sick, or they warn us ahead of time and we make the call (if it's a head cold). I also use foam and wash my hands before I pick him up at school and when I come home.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #5

SpeisFamily HB User

I am so glad to hear that all went better than you expected. Like I said before, kill her with kindness but politely let her know that no showers is a big no no in your house and that if she wants to hold your daughter or visit inside of your home she needs to take a shower first. But I am proud of you for being so polite even after she coughed all over your daughter. But I would definately not let her minipulate you.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Hi Ksavage..........yes, you are right. Sometimes no matter what we do, we cannot stop our kids from getting sick. But, your MIL is an adult and she SHOULD know better than to hack in your daughters face. I don't care if your daughter is 100% healthy and has been since birth! That is something that just should not be done and is not only disgusting, but disrepectful.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whenever someone coughs or sneezes around DS, I always yell wash your hands wash your hands. And most of the time I say it in a hysterical joking voice 'cuz the outlaws who do this most often are already walking to the sink -- FIL has sinus and allergy problems, but the thing that drives me insane is he carries around a hanky or a paper towel and is obsessed with keeping DH's face clean. Can't stand it when he has food on it -- he's ONLY 16 months old, keep that ratty rag away from his face!

Old 10-22-2004, 05:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Your daughter did not get sick from your MIL....it takes much longer (up to a week or two) for a child to be exposed and show signs of a cold. Most illnesses have some sort of incubation period, a cold does not show up a few hours after the exposure.
That being said...i would keep my child away from that woman, if she doesn't bath or take proper care of her health i'm sure there is much more ilnesses than a cold that she can expose your child to....she's probably crawling with bacteria. I work at a grocery store and you wouldn't believe some of the filthy people who come in there, i don't understand how people cannot bother to take a shower or wash their clothes, i know some people just can't afford a lot, but i'd wash my clothes by hand if i couldn't afford to do some laundry...one woman stunk so bad i thought i was going to throw up. The hand sanitizer comes in very handy....

Old 10-22-2004, 05:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

I am fully aware that my MIL did not give my daughter this cold, I just said that I would like to blame her for it. As horrible as that sounds.

& How do you stop someone at your front door & ask....."have you had your bath today"? I have no problem asking he rthat, but she just lies about it. She acts as if there is nothing wrong with her hygine ritual.

I just have to accept that this is how she is and deal with it. Nothing is going to cahnge a 63 year old woman.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

DH's grandmother sounds a lot like your MIL. But this woman was in her 80s and I think she got a little lax in the hygeine department as she got older. She wouldn't wear her teeth. She was proud of the fact that she only bathed once every two weeks and then she put a little bleach in the tub 'cuz it kept her from getting a skin rash. I'd have to hold my breath when we went to her house or when she visited and used the bathroom. MIL and her SIL would scrub her down every once in awhile. Or her great-grandchildren as they got older would say -- grandma, put in your teeth or tell her she smelled.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Sorry your daughter is sick, hopefully she feels better soon. I have also heard that exposing them to germs can improve their immune system, but I still don't go out of my way to expose her to illnesses. Sometimes when I see people not using thier manners I use it as a teaching tool for our daughter...but I make sure I say it loud enough for the other person to get the point too....just lastnight I asked our daughter to hand my 17 year old nephew one of his books, which she did and he didn't even say thankyou...so I told Kierra to say "Your Welcome" and sure enough he said "ThankYou" right away. Maybe next time your MIL coughs, say to your daughter, "Honey, lets show Grandma how well you are learning to cover your mouth when you cough, so you don't spread germs and get other people sick" and have her pretend to cough and cover her mouth, then explain to your MIL that you are trying to teach her so would greatly appreciate she does is a good role model in this area...our daughter coughed a week or so ago when we were out shopping so when I said "Sweetie, you have to cover your mouth when you cough" she immediatley started pretending to cough so she could show me how she covers her mouth....except she kept doing it! They are so smart and catch on so quickly it won't be hard at all. Goodluck. And kudos to you for being so nice to your MIL Sunday.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

Well I did a goog thing today. You will all be sooooo proud of me. Today is MIL's birthday and I went to the mall to get her something and I was clueless on what she needed or would like. I have this problem every year so I got a bright idea. I thought I would buy her a place setting of the Fiesta dishes. I thought that she might like to collect those and that would give me something to get her for birthday's and Christmas. She likes to collect coins and stamps, so I thought I could add dishes to list. I think she will like it.

AND I DIDN"T EVEN KILL ME!

I was so proud of myself, I just thought I would share it with you all.
(really, because hubby thought it was stupid! it's a man thing I guess)

Old 10-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

yay! good for you, did she like the present?

Closed Thread