It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kymberlee HB User
My 5 yr. old son & bedtime

A question for all you excellent Moms out there...My 5 yr. old son has a FIT when it's his bedtime!!! He screams,kicks his feet,hides so noone can find him,etc. He HATES bedtime and fights it every single time!!! Does anyone have any advice for a smoother bedtime for my son??? I just do not know what to do anymore...Thanks in advance!

Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Re: My 5 yr. old son & bedtime

Hi Kymberlee

Could you tell us what methods you have tried? I have some ideas for you, but they might be ones that did not work for you guys.

With a little more info, you just might get an idea or two that might work!

Good luck & have a great day!
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

HA! HA! This thread made me laugh,,,,,,
When I was a kid I never wanted to go to bed either. My mother just put me in bed and let me scream my head off. Eventually I fell asleep.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kymberlee HB User

I have a bedtime routine that we do every night. He has a snack&milk at night...I really don't know what else to do! He told me that he doesn't want to go to bed because he thinks he might miss something! LOL Oh, yeah! We're doing all kinds of wild things! LOL NOT! Anyway, as far as "we"--my husband DOES not help when it comes to this---it's MY job. So,any insight you have will be great! Thanks! (By the way--I never wanted to go to bed, either!!! LOL)

Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Do you read him a story? I know that I loved it when my mom read to me. (I think she got tired of hearing me scream my head off!) We would go in my room and I would get in bed. She would turn a dim, soothing light on and read to me.
She started with short books, but eventually we would pick out a book like Charlotte's Web and she would read a little each night. I would get so interested in the story that I couldn't wait to go to bed the next night to hear what "Wilbur" was getting into in the next chapter. It worked like a charm.
Make sure you pick the book out together so you can read something that he's interested in.
It's worth a try!

Old 10-20-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

I would keep up with the routine that you already established. I would also turn the TV off or at least waaaaay down and turn most of the lights off after his snack. Make it as if you normally do before you and DH go to bed. That way he will not feel as if he is going to "miss anything". It may take a few nights so don't let hubby give up when this does not work the 1st time. Then I would get him settled in bed and like the other poster mentioned read him a story and kiss him goodnight.

You should be very stern and let him know that you mean it when you say you do not want any arguments. Tell him you do not want to have to punish him, especially right at bedtime. BUT, you will if he makes you. Tell him that is his choice to make. Do not raise your voice (if you can help it ). Try to keep a peaceful tone with him at all times. & don't crack a smile when he starts to be cute and talk his way back into all the "action he his missing".

Since you say that your DH does not help you in this situation, tell him that he needs to go into your bedroom and shut the door and be quiet. He should do this for several nights so your son knows that there is nothing going on. & if DH puts up a fuss over this then let him know that you have no other ideas and hand him a book and send him in w/your son and let him know it is his job from now on. Let's see how that works out. If it is like my house he will end up with Dad 'till midnight and they both pass out on the couch!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kymberlee HB User

Thanks for all the insight and replies! I'll try it!

Old 10-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #8

JenniferM HB User

I read a book to the kids in their rooms, and tell them it is time to relax. I think (because I've done it) if you just tell them to go to bed, without a book, talk time etc....they get aggrevated. So maybe read a book and lay with him for a few minutes then tell him you have to get up and do a few things because you are going to bed also...

Good luck
Son-5
Daughter-3

Closed Thread