It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
What vocabulary should a toddler have?

My son just turned 16 months old. he understands everything 100%. he surprises me everyday with the amount that he can understand. objects that i hadn't a clue that he could identify, he brings to me if i ask-- as in i am asking someone else, but he is on the case....remote, my shoes, the phone...bunch of stuff. my question is that he really can't say anything---anything that is in english. he talks up a storm but it is all kling-on at this point. he can say 'hot' (which he says no matter what type of food you put in fromt of him) momma, daddy, oggie, tickle tickle, yeah, yes. that is it. he doesn't say hi, bye bye, gamma, he doesn't even say the word 'NO'
i have heard that they should be saying more at this point. is there something more that i can do besides the non stop play by play i give him on his daily routine? i do flash cards as well and show him how to form words with our mouths in the mirror. any ideas? comments?
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 04:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: What vocabulary should a toddler have?

You can ask his doctor specificly, but i know with my kids, my first talked up a storm, my 2nd was much like your son, she could point things out and showed an understanding of quite a bit but really didn't say much, she could say bye, mommy those kinds of things, but it really wasn't untill she was 2 that she started talking. One thing you can to is play repeat games with him, say a word and encourage him to repeat it. Point to every day things and say the name, see if you can get him to say it also. What i found helpful too was my daughter being around other kids, kids her age who talked better than her and older kids. Kinds tend to repeat what other kids are doing, that's when i found she started talking alot better was after she went into day care and was with a lot of other children, so a play group may be a good idea if he's not in one now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2004, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Heya Nyxin!!

I wouldn't worry too much. Your son is talking...that's the important part. I laughed at the "hot" part because my son wouldn't let his grandma touch his yogurt last night because it was "hot" (straight from the fridge) He may be waiting until he is super comfortable with saying words before he says them. Kinda like walking. Some kids start stumbling at 8 months but it takes them weeks to master it. Others wait a year but are walking like a pro in 2 days! I think it's great that you're doing the flash cards. And obviously you talk constantly to him as he knows the words for everything. Like the other poster said, if you're really worried, mention it to your doctor. But to make you feel better, I was at a party this weekend with children ranging in age from 15-22 months. There were about 15 of them (yikees) and I barely heard anyone saying anything "real" It was all babbling. Does your son sound like he's saying words? Like he has the inflection and everything or asks questions? It sounds to me like he's almost there!! My son is 18 months and I can tell you that there has been a huge difference in the past 2 months. Suddenly he's a parrot and repeating everything we say. Good for you for being such a concerned parent...but all sounds good to me

Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Here is a list of milestones appropriate for his age:
Be able to follow simple commands
Says between 5-20 words
Vocabulary made up mostly of nouns
a lot of jargon with emotional content
still should be echolalic... meaning he repeats things he has heard

At this age, his receptive language, what he understands, is more advanced than is expressive language, what he can say. Most of what he says should not be understood by others.

There are common words that children learn like "no" but some children choose to use those words when they are older. Say when they are two years old and you are trying to get out the door to go somewhere...It is a guarantee that they will show you they know it then

He sounds like he is right on track. What you are doing seems to be working as young children learn through imitation. BTW, the milestone chart listed above is for an 18 month old

Last edited by Mommyof4; 11-01-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

Your bab y sounds just fine to me. I have a 22 month old and I am a flash card junkie! I try at least a few times a week to sit down with her for about 20 minutes and work on them with her.

Does it work? NO!

Everu card I old up , no matter what it is, she will eith say:

COW
MEOW
QAUCK-QUACK
& her favorite is......
MELMO! (elmo)

It makes me laugh when we do this and hopefully one day she will clue in as to what I am trying to teach her. It is fun for both of us and as long as we are having fun I will continue. We sing songs, dance, patty cake, hokey pokey.....& who knows what else we do. It's a good thing we do not a hidden camera in our house, I am sure I look like a fool! But we have fun and that is all that matters.

We just have to be patient, talking will come waaaaaay to soon I am afraid.

Kim

Old 11-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS is 17 months old and I waited FOREVER for him to say Mama or Mommy. A few weeks ago he started saying Mommy! And I was thrilled... Until I found out that Mommy is his word for --- GET ME SOMETHING NOW! He said Mommy at daycare the other day when demanding chocolate chips. He says Mommy when he wants potato chips, pringles, a toy.... He also announced "yuck" when they were changing his dirty diaper at school. Thank goodness he didn't repeat a more choice word I used after he'd body slammed himself into a pile of poo.

He has been announcing ****-a-doodle-do to just about anyone who will listen to him. We just try to work with him to identify certain things and try to get him to repeat them. The other night he was singing in the tub and kept saying "out, out, out" I thought maybe it was row, row, row your boat, but he was singing the tune to ring around the rosie -- sure enough, that's what he was singing. And itsy bitsy spider is a bunch of gibberish, but he's got the hand motions down to a tee.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #7

PinkGrape HB User

Einstein didn't talk until the age of 3

Old 11-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
(female)

Spongemom HB User

I thought Einstein didn't talk until he was six...I don't remember where I heard that, but I heard it from several places.

This thread has been quite helpful in easing my obsession. My son turned two in August, and all he says is "Yeah! yeah! yeah!" and "Maaaaaa!" He understands most of what is said to him, and he figures things out after only seeing you do it once...hence the chain lock waaaaay up high on the front door, despite the deadbolt.(He once went right out the front door, down the sidewalk, and right up on the neighbor's front porch to play.) But like someone else said, it's all Klingon right now. He sits with us (me and him live with my gramma) in the kitchen and just babbles, following all the patterns of a conversation, hand motions and everything, just in his own language. The main problem is when he's screaming for something and no one can figure out what he wants, it's tough to deal with but he's getting better. He'll bring me his sippy, say "nananan" and head for the fridge, meaning he wants ice. I don't know how many times I've said "Ice!" in the past few weeks, to him it's still "nananan."

Last night before he went to bed, he was playing with one of his video tape cases, and for at least 20 minutes, I was going "Open, close, open, close, open, close," as he was opening and closing the box, and all he did was laugh at me.

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 12-01-2004 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Do not list personal contact information in your signature! Read & follow our rules!

Closed Thread