It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #1

dmbfan HB User
Can't get 11 week old to nap!

I'm so exhausted....I can't do anything to get my 11 week old son to nap and stay napping for more than 3 or 4 minutes. I'm nursing him and he has no problem falling asleep nursing or with a bottle...but when I put him down...he only stays sleeping for a few minutes. It boggles my mind because when I put him down he's really out...I can move him and it doesn't phase him...and I'll say to myself "phew he's out...he'll sleep now"...but a few minutes later his eys are open and/or he's crying. He's obviousley tired...his eyes are heavy and he's yawning...and after 2 hours of trying to get him to stay sleeping he's gotten so overly tired that he's just a wreck (as am I). I've tried his crib, his playpen, and his swing...none of them work...every once and a while I get lucky and he'll sleep for a couple of hours, but the majority of the time-especially in the afternoon, I spend all my time fighting him to go to sleep...I'm at my wits end!!!

Another weird thing is he'll fall asleep in his swing with no problem on his own, but after a couple minutes he'll wake up SCREAMING!!!

Can anyone give me advice or something to try!!! please help

Old 11-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Re: Can't get 11 week old to nap!

My daughter is 22 months old and has never been a napper. She has allways gone to bed between 10 & 11 PM and started sleeping through the night at 6 months. She went to bed last night at 9:15 and I thought she would be awake bright and early.......NOT! She did not wake up until 9:30.

When she was little I would fight and fight to get her to take a nap. And the harder I would try, the harder she would fight. So I just decided that I was giving in to her if she did not want to sleep. She has never been cranky when she does not get a nap though. I think most kids are. She will lay down on her own about 2-3 times a week and sleep for about 45 minutes. If she falls asleep in the floor, I just leave her there and throw a blanket over her. People think I am awful for leaving her in the floor, but if I mover her she is up for the day and won't get a nap at all.

She has had a TV/VCR in her room for quite a while now and when we 1st put it in there, I would put on a tape of songs and lay her in her crib just so I could get stuff done around the house. She hated it, and would never fall asleep, but she would through the worst fits for a while. Now when I need to clean the tub or sweep and mop & vacume, I will go in her room and put on a movie and she will sit in her room and play & it is OK with her now.

She goes to Mother's Day Out once a week and she will not nap when all the others are. Her teacher says that she will whisper and say "night night" and play quietly. Then when i pick her up we get home about 2:30 and I have just enough time to wash her hands and get her shoes off and she is out until about 6 PM when her daddy gets home and he will go in and wake her up.

I say quite fighting him on the naps. If he is tired, he will sleep. Sometimes when i needed to rest, I would take Riley into my bed and lay with her and we would both eventually fall asleep, but if I got up, she was awake and ready for some action.

Does he sleep good at night?

Before you feed him you might try laying a heating pad in his bed and just before you lay him down move it and lay him in the warm spot of the bed. See if that helps. Another thing that helped a little with Riley is I would lay her in her boppy and sometimes it would trick her into think that she was still in my arms and would sleep for a while like that. I would put her feet in the U shaped part and her head would bee at the open end and she would feel like she was being snuggled.

I wish you luck! I know how annoying it can get sometimes.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2004, 05:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Could it be that your son is over stimulated? That was the problem with mine. I wanted to be such a good parent that every waking moment that my newborn was awake I was trying to show him things, have him feel things, talk to him, sing to him, read to him, etc. And I could never get him to sleep more than 20 minutes (which probably sounds like a lot to you right now) Then someone suggested that...I backed off a bit and he started to sleep longer. He was in daycare at 8 weeks and I noticed that he took 2 hour naps there...I thought what were they doing wrong...but after a while i realized that since they had 3 babies to every one adult, they were left on their own a little bit and that's why he was sleeping.

Also, do you hold him most of the day? They get used to that wonderful feeling. They love falling asleep in those warm, rocking arms. But then we lay them down and the feeling is different and they don't like it. Try letting him spend more time lying down on his own. (so hard to do to those little cuties)

As for the screaming, perhaps it's becasue he wakes up confused about where he is...or maybe he has some problems with gas. That may also be the culprit about why he can't sleep so long. Try a product called gripe water. It's great for their tummies and helps them sleep. It's all natural.

Hope some of this helps...good luck, I know how hard this is. Them not sleeping (which means you're not sleeping) is the hardest part of being a new parent.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #4

Gtonello HB User

All of my three kids were like that - they would fall asleep, I'd put them down, and a few minutes later, they'd be crying. But when my MIL would watch them, she could get them to sleep for an hour or more. So I started doing what she did - she'd rock them with a blanket over her and the baby, and then when she laid them down, she'd snuggle them in that nice warm blanket. Also, it helps if you lay them down with something that smells like you (since the blanket was on both of you, it does already), so they feel like you are still there with them. Also, since I was nursing, I would lay down on my bed to feed them. And no matter how much I wanted to get things done sometimes, I took a nap when they did. That way, I got the rest I needed from being up all day and those few hours when they woke up during the night. My husband didn't complain about the house being a mess - he was the one who told ME to rest - so I was lucky there. But once in a while, if I wasn't tired, since they were already laying down on my bed, I would just slip out of bed (making sure they were nowhere near the edge, of course), put a pillow or something against them to make sure they didn't roll that way (until they got old enough to roll OVER it - but hey, what can you do?), and then go and do what I needed. They usually stayed asleep longer that way.

My friend had to take her son out in his stroller every night. It was the ONLY way he would go to sleep (especially since he had really bad reflux, so sitting up in the stroller helped a little bit.), so our other friend and I would take turns once in a while walking him around the street so Mom could catch a few minutes of sleep or wash dishes or whatever. Sometimes, she would go over to my house to keep an eye on my kids (who were already asleep) and she'd just relax without having to hear her son cry.

Eventually, like everyone else, you'll come across something that works, and once you do, stick to that. He'll probably grow out of it soon enough. For now, just take care of yourself and make sure YOU get rest any way you can.

Good luck!
G Tonello

Old 11-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #5

dmbfan HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone...

One good thing is that he does sleep at night...quite well...when I nurse him at night...he eats...lets go..and falls asleep..I waste little time in putting him back into his crib and he adjusts himself and maybe grunts a little then goes to sleep...I'm really lucky that way.

I did think at first that maybe he was the kind who just didn't need naps, but he's so noticibly tired...his eyes are droopy and he's cranky...so I don't think that's it.

I've actually done the blanket over us thing...to keep him from looking around as much and it does work well to get him to sleep...(my mom showed me that trick a while ago) I'm considering the over-stimulation thing too. I do keep him looking at things and talking to him and walking him around...I could accept that being the problem. I too just want him to learn so much...but I should try backing off a little.

I started a new regime today (after yesterday I knew something HAD to change) I'm writing what I've done and the time I'm doing it, trying to get him on more of a schedule (though that's difficult while nursing I've been told). This AM when he was getting sleepy I fed him enough to get to sleep (it was a normal "snack time" anyway) and laid him down in a "sorta sleeping" mode..he woke up, but I closed the door and went downstairs...I heard him fussing and crying a little and when he got to the point when we would normally go get him and call it a failed attempt, I fought the urge and let him fuss and he continued for about 5-10 minutes and FELL ASLEEP!! he slept for an hour!! WOO-HOO. So maybe this whole time the problem was us not being patient enough!. I could hear him sucking on his hands too, which hopefully he's learning some self-comforting tactics as well.

I just did it again...and he's been down for about 10 minutes...I haven't heard him fuss yet...and if he does I'm going to fight that urge to go get him.

My husband and I laugh at the idea that getting a baby to do something as elementary as sleeping can be such an ordeal!

Thanks for your input so far!!

Last edited by dmbfan; 11-04-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I'm so glad to hear that you are having some success. Whoever coined the term "sleeping like a baby" obviously never had a baby!!

I also remembered one more thing. You said that sometimes you bottle feed. I had some issues so usually pumped milk and then bottle fed. A woman suggested switching to the next stage bottle nipple (ie. stage 2) Which I did around 3 months. It made him fuller faster and helped him to nap longer as well.

Continued success!!

Old 11-05-2004, 06:44 AM   #7

dmbfan HB User

Well the second time I tried yesterday wasn't as successful....he napped about 20 minutes after I laid him down...but that was 20 minutes better than nothing! he then napped a short time last night on a walk...was sleeping in bed by 9 and other than rousing around 12:30...slept until 5 AM...

I trying another nap right now...as I listen on the monitor, he's fighting more than yesterday at this time...but he's getting quieter...

I never would have thought of that stage 2 nipple idea...maybe I'll have to try that...is that the normal age for a stage 2 nipple? Gee there's so many things to think about...I forgot about nipple stages! In trying to establish more of a routine, I think I'm going to have him take a bottle before bedtime..I sometimes feel that he's too dependent on mommy's body and I want to make sure others can get him to sleep without a problem (grandparents!). I think this is a good idea..though I must admit, night time is my favorite time to nurse

Well I think he's sleeping..he's still sucking his finger/thumb a little, but laying there quietly...

I think another possibility is that he has been going through a growth spurt...I've read that around 3 months is a normal time for one of those...so maybe that has made his sleeping get messed up...I know he's was eating a lot more often last week...His growth spurts have been very easy to spot (in hind sight of course) I don't know why I can't identify them as he's going through them...it would help me keep my sanity if I knew there was a reason for his little "issues"

I've already decided that I-as a mother-need to adjust a little...I've caught myself 3 times since yesterday rushing to pick him up before he's really awake and ready to get up...I did that this morning and I'm kicking myself..he got tired right away after about an hour and is now napping about an hour and a half earlier than yesterday...I'm just eager to snuggle with the little guy darnit...so mommy better train herself as well I guess!

thanks again!

Old 11-05-2004, 08:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

I don't know when the "right" time to switch nipples is. My son would take FOREVER to drink a bottle (like 30-40 mintues for a 2-4 oz bottle) and during that time he always fell asleep. So then when I layed him down he would wake up and still be hungry because he wasn't done eating. The stage 2 nipples had him finishing those bottles in a few minutes and that knocked him out! He did have some spitting up the first week or two as his body adjusted to getting so much milk so fast, but he got used to it.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #9

lilred HB User

Hi dmbfan, (this is wildsigns from pregnancy board) beleive it or not my son is actually teething already, (11 weeks also) poor baby, I noticed him sucking his fists and drooling alot he has also been fighting naps, so I checked and sure enough, his bottom gum on the right is growing a tooth, could this be why your baby is not napping good? good luck!

Last edited by lilred; 11-07-2004 at 10:53 AM.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #10

sivaarar HB User

I do not have any suggestions. I just wanted to say that I think you are an incredible mother - I have always believed that it is important for parents to look at themselves and the environment as much as the baby when there is a problem - and you are doing everything you can I think you just need to be open to anything, and see what works for your baby, which you are doing. I wish you lots of luck

Old 11-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
(female)

dizzyone HB User

I have 2 kids, Have you tried swaddling the baby up since you know the baby likes the warmth and tried feeding them while laying them in their own bed that way if the fall a sleep you don,t have to move them and possible wake them. Sandra

Closed Thread