It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

chezlux HB User
Getting rid of pacifiers

Help! Anyone with ideas on how to get rid of pacifiers. My twins are two and have been told to get rid of pacifiers by christmas (by dentist). I've tried the cutting off the tip which just led to major breakdowns. Thanks so much!

Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Getting rid of pacifiers

I would like to know as well. My son is 18 months and loves his to death. However, I know he can go without because he's in daycare 2 days a wek and he cannot use it there. I think that he could probably go all day, but I wonder about at night. It seems to be a huge part of going to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

chezlux HB User

Ditto here. We tried going cold turkey, but I ended up having two screaming toddlers. If I ever have another child, I plan on getting rid of it a little sooner.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS was never really interested in his as a very young baby, but then we went through some feeding issues -- stick in pacifier, remove, stick in bottle -- screaming baby, switch... And now that he's older (17 months) we have to pull it out of his mouth when we get to daycare, then he throws a tantrum... At this point we're not going to deal with it -- figure we'll try bribery in a couple years

Old 11-05-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

All three of my sisters including me LOVED our pacifiers. For me my mom told me she had to give it to her friends granddaughter becuase she need it or something. I actually remember giving them away.......lets just say i was attached to them for a LONG time! lol with my second sister we went on a vacation and my mom "left it at the hotel". Caitilin cried for a while but by the time we arrived home she had forgotten about it. My other sister put hers on the toilet seat while she brushed her teeth i think and she droped it in while it was flushing. My mom hid the rest of them and she eventuallly accepted the idea. with my last sister my grandmother would watch us durring the day while my mom worked and we would always say it was at mom-mom's or our house. I hope this helps.....maybe gives you a few ideas.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
(female)

chezlux HB User

thank you! It's just so hard to reason with two year olds. But I am gonna try anything!

Old 11-06-2004, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

my daughter is a yr old now and we have tried before to get rid of hers....even made her go for about 4 days without it but that long without sleep was taking a toll on me.....luckily i have gotten her to give hers up in the day and i only let her have it during naps and night sleep...but as far as wanting it all day she does just fine without it.....maybe you could try that before taking it all the time....

Old 11-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

It's been so long but I recall a friend actually telling me that she talked to her child & they decided together to give it to the garbage man. They did and because it was a mutual decision it worked out. Perhaps you can arrange a visit with Santa at the mall in which they agree to give them to Santa for a special present or something in return. Just an idea...but if they agree to the idea it's easier to explain it when they ask for it back.....Goody

Old 11-07-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
(female)

yehboo36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezlux
Help! Anyone with ideas on how to get rid of pacifiers. My twins are two and have been told to get rid of pacifiers by christmas (by dentist). I've tried the cutting off the tip which just led to major breakdowns. Thanks so much!
My children are 14 and 10, but When it came time to get rid of the pacifier, the doc told me to start with punching a hole in it with a pin, (which keeps it from being as suckable and enjoyable ) then the next week, snip some off, and each week keep taking a bit more off of it. (if you have to go that long). Both of my children gave them up with in the second week. Good Luck though, I remember those days well.......

Old 11-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Friend of mine convinced her toddler to pack up all the pacifiers and "send them" to a new baby they knew. That DS was a big boy and didn't need them anymore and this new baby didn't have any. Apparently it worked.

Just remember my sister had one until she was 5 or 6 and my folks hid them in the garage in an old coffee can and she FOUND them!

I'm hoping in our case, the school (day care) will take care of this problem. I think they only let DS have his when he's napping anyway and for us, I think it's just a matter of only having them be available when he's going to sleep at night. Right now they're all over the house, in the car and if he sees them, he wants one. Otherwise he could care less.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:24 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

wow, i am so happy my nephew didnt care about his pacifier, lol, we took it away one day, we told him, and was like ok. yay

Old 11-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #12
(female)

chezlux HB User

Thanks everyone. I think this weekend we are planning a visit from the pacifier fairy who will take their pacis and leave them a nice gift for being a BIG kid. We'll see how it goes. Otherwise we will try Santa.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

lol chezlux!!!! goodluck to you!

Old 11-10-2004, 10:09 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

I'm with hummingbird! My dd gave her's up at 18 months on her own and had to have braces anyway!

Old 11-10-2004, 11:50 PM   #15

Gtonello HB User

Hey all!!
I'm with hummingbird on this too. It sounds like the dentist is just trying to "head off" problems before they happen. But I NEVER had a pacifier, and didn't suck my thumb, and I had braces for 3 years, and a retainer after that. Unfortunately, they didn't fit that thing right to my mouth, and it KILLED to wear it, so after a while, I refused to wear it at all. Even though the dentist INSISTED my teeth would immediately return to the way they'd been before my braces, they still haven't, and it's been oh...almost 10 years since then! Anyway, I found an interesting link about pacifiers from the Amer. Assoc. of Pediatrics. I thought it might help. Here: [url]http://www.medem.com/MedLB/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZQ4JXW Q7C&sub_cat=21[/url]

My theory is, when kids get to the point where they realize that they don't need it anymore, they'll give it up. My oldest tossed hers at about a year old, and I just didn't bother giving one to my other two. I found that if I fed them until they turned away the food (I nursed 2 out of the 3 until they were 18 mos.), they found other ways to content themselves until it was time to feed again. However, every kid IS different, so if you find something that works, go with it!

Good luck to all of you!
G Tonello

Closed Thread