It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User
gamecube...

hmmmmm, im not sure if this is good or bad....

My nephew Tyler, really likes Gamecube. (plays almost everyday) after school/when mom gets home/after dinner...... so that would be around....6 or so..
he used to play more, we we cut him off on playing gamecube until, my mom gets home, and he has dinner..

He is 4 years old (5 in December)

is it good that he plays so much?

he is actually pretty good at 2 of the games (mario Kart, and super smash brothers) he doesnt need help at all (usually) , and ok at Shrek 2, if he has people playing with him.

I realize it is good hand-eye coordination.. but.. yeesh, he is is so young!
im wondering if..that is still to much that he plays a day.

(he doesnt play EVERY day, and we go out side.. and he like to visit the pharmacy...... hehhehe and park.. etc)

sorry, if this post is confusing.... hope u can decipher it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: gamecube...

No i don't think it's healthy. My son used to have playstation 2 (it broke, thankfully, lol), he'd beg to go on it, and it would be a huge fight to get him off it. I don't know if it, like too much tv, is thought to contribute to or cause add, but at the very least in contributes to inactivity. Kids need to be active, not sit down all day, it's bad enough they sit a lot at school, they don't need to do it all night either. What made my mind up to not buy my son another playstation2 was when i was walking with the kids and there was a woman fighting with her son (10-12, not sure how old exactly he was), he didn't want to go out, he wanted to stay home and play playstation, he was overweight (don't know if that had anything to do with it), she wanted him to go for a walk and to the park, he was hysterical. So i said that settles it, no new playstation, i don't want my son ending up like that.
Everything is fine in moderation, but his game time should be limited. An hour a day kind of thing. He should be encouraged to do other things that a 4 year old needs to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

oooo, he does..... he goes to school.... but but it is not a "classroom" type,,... lol
they learn and play ALL day!!!!! lol it is great there..
he is there from 800(or so) to 445(or so)

o, hes hes not on it ALL the time..... lol, we read to each other (all) he plays with his power touch reading system(i thinkthats what it is called), he draws.....goes to the park..... and pharmacy....lol, he likes one of the pharmacists, they are friends...... lol
he never sits all day, always active... and *usually* loves to go out side.. usually goes out everyday...

and if we tell him to get off gamecube........hes like. Ok.. turns it off, and cleans it ALL up! (YAY) lol, and we do something else..

haha, he is excited today.. cuzhe want him and his Nana, to draw me a really cool picture.. for my bday present. (my bday 2morow) lol

hah, the only time he sits, is uaually when he is at home.. or eating lunch at school.. lol, his sk class is very active..... heh

Old 11-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

just so it isnt cutting into homework or bathing or things that are more important.

my step brother (whom i dont really like, but thats not the point) played his video games from a very young age and played them all the way through teen years and probably still plays them....he is extremely intelligent, he was a straight A student at Private (not public) school....he gratuated saluteatorian (sp?) of his class (one step under validctorian (maybe i need to go back to school and learn to spell these words lol)

and then there is my little cousin who is 11....honor roll student....extremely smart, he tells me things i didnt even know alot of the time! plays his games anytime he has a chance!

i think as i said just so it isnt cutting into important things then it is not so bad, i think children learn stradgety, and problem solving from them...i think that really helps them in math and science in school...
and obvioulsy so it isnt a violent game, which the ones you named do not sound in any way violent lol....

Last edited by Chrissi; 11-13-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

lol, he doesnt really get homework at school.. he gets a book sent home every couple days, to read.

ya, those are the only ones he plays.. not violent at all..lol.
hehe.

but oh no! he forgot to draw me a picture!!!! lol, *lol*... maybe he'll draw one tomorow for me......heh heh.

aww, him and nana, are about to read a story, and our dog wants to see as well.... hahhahaha

Closed Thread