It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

dizzyone HB User
bullying,my son?

I am having a problem with my son he is 5, will be 6 in Jan. I think he is being a bully at school, he seems to be OK in the classroom this year but he has no self control out in the school yard, what ever idea pops into his head first as to what to do, he does it whether it,s right or not. After tha fact you can ask him how he should have solved the problem and he knows just what he should have done. We are now going to be in touch with behavior management a program that could maybe get us some help and the school will have someone observe him. Don,t know what to do anymore. This almost feels like we should had done something more. I went part time after my son was born to be home with him more, sat outside countless hours to watch and guide him in making good choices for himself and with others, had him in programs to sociallize him with other kids so he would get along well with them and now all these problems. Any advice. Even if we get help I still can,t control what he does at the school, he,s not in my sight. Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User
Re: bullying,my son?

Bullies can sometimes come from good homes but I think that most of the worst ones come from homes where there is something really wrong or the parents are bullies. Since you are a loving parent that wants things to change you will hopefully be successful nipping this in the bud. At this age adults and teachers do care about the bully as well as the victim so you can probably get some support. Older bullies are of no concern to anyone because it is assumed that nothing can help them and they are big enough to really hurt other children and tick-off all the adults involved. The victim would be everyone's main concern. So talk to the teacher now and get some insight regarding what is going on at school and get the support now that you may not be able to get later.

I would consider a child psychologist even if it is "over-kill". If your insurance covers it then that is even better.

If the problem is primarily that he is impulsive than he may need to be sheltered from bad role models like older kids on the bus or commercial television characters that solve their problems with violence. That may include some very popular characters that other kids are into and seem to not mimic the behaviors of.

Two loving parents should be real helpful to your child. I bet that you can beat this one.

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread