It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #1

Shadowdogg78 HB User
Is there something wrong with the father of my cousin?

At our last little family gathering, my 3 year old cousins dad showed everyone that he had gotten a pocket knife for his son.Everyone was shocked.Is this normal?I know its dangerous to give kids knives, and his kids are really wild.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Is there something wrong with the father of my cousin?

Give a 3 year old a pocket knife? No, that's not normal and it's extremely poor parenting. I can only hope that he intends to keep it for his son until he is older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 AM   #3

Calamity04 HB User

Giving a 3 y/o a knife to have and carry around with them is not a good idea. I can understand if he bought it for something he and his son could collect together as he grew up and they are intended for when he is older, but at 3 y/o it is irresponsible to give him a knife.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #4

FaithfulyWaiting HB User

That is definitely wrong.. BAD idea..my youngest brother is 3 yo's almost... and I would be APPALLED if someone gave him a knife...

Old 11-23-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
(female)

Juliennes HB User

That is truly FRIGHTENING!!! What is a 3 yr old going to do with a pocket knife??????
A 3 year old is way too young to have a knife. What is this person thinking??!!
I am afraid for this child...

Old 11-24-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Not only is this just plain stupid but I am wondering just what in gods name he actually expected him to do with it?what could have he possibly been thinking when he bought it?Did he expect some amazing whittling to go on or maybe he would make a lovely carving that they could hang on the wall/geez,what an idiot.I would ask him just what he expected this 3 year old to do with it once he gave it to him ya know?I would just love to hear his answer.If you get the chance ask him, i really would like to know what he was thinking here,really.This is just so completely stupid,it boggles my mind.YIKES!!

Old 11-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #7

JenniferM HB User

Uh, yea-that is NUTS!! We gave our son one, and he is 9...we still keep it up away from him, unless we are outside with him, and he is carving wood or whanot....*** is a 3 yo gonna do with a knife?? really?!
Son-5
Daughter-3

Old 11-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #8

jbenavides HB User

Well I would say that if he gave the kid the knife and lets him carry it around then he needs to have his head examined... but my father bought me some "questionable things" when I was a kid. But he bought them for me down the road, a pocket knife for scouting, and a rifle, but he kept them in a safe place, and when it was age appropriate he taught me how to use each. Things like that can be great father son bonding things but ummmm 3?? no... If he is allowing this child to carry it around this is seriously wrong

I have an sort of humorous one.. my friend at work just bought one of those small motorcycles.... for his *ahem* 2 year old son... His wife was rather ticked off!!! He asked us at work for our opinions and we had to side with the wife... Clearly in this case though it was just a harmless daddy hasnt grown up yet incident! Sometimes dads are to much in a hurry to enjoy things that THEY like with their sons... that their just not thinking straight...

Last edited by jbenavides; 11-29-2004 at 08:23 PM.

Closed Thread