It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Mom still treats me like a little kid...and it's annoying >.<

I'm a 17-year-old girl who, while having lived a sheltered life, still has some dignity. But my mom seems to enjoy chipping away at that.

My mom still treats me like I'm a 7-year-old. She tries to hold my hand when crossing the street (I can usually get it out of her reach), and when someone does any sort of favor for me, my mom will say to me, "Tell them 'thank you'", as if I wasn't going to already. She also has a tendancy to call me by childhood nicknames, which turns my face red when I'm around friends or my boyfriend.

This habit of hers is both annoying and embarrassing. I've told her to knock it off, but she continues to do it.

Any advice?

Dark Stranger - annoyed

Old 11-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User
Re: Mom still treats me like a little kid...and it's annoying >.<

Sit down and tell her how it makes you feel. That you know it's hard for her seeing you growing up and almost being an adult. Telling her to knock it off won't work because she probably thinks it's cute that she's embarrising you. If you want to be treated older act it, sit down and have an adult conversation about it, let her know how you feel and listen to what she has to say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 07:56 PM   #3

jbenavides HB User
Re: Mom still treats me like a little kid...and it's annoying >.<

ABSOLUTELY tell her...

YOu know its as hard for parents to let go of their children as it is for children to let go of the parents... you really need to have a sit down with her and explain things to her in a way that doesnt sound rebellious or anything... she should understand.

Tell her that she needs to learn how to have faith in you, trust your judgement and to let you explore your own life or you are not going to be able to develop the essential personal skills that YOU will need in your life.

Do it SOON

Best of luck and let us know how your doing!

Jon

Closed Thread