It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 05:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User
Talking October/November 2004 Mommies!!!

Hi ladies! Here is our new thread - I don't have time to write much but here it is at any rate!

Old 11-25-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User
Re: October/November 2004 Mommies!!!

Hi Maggie, thanks for starting the new thread
So I was going to ask you over on the pregnancy forum how your little boy has been since his baby sister came along ? Haley still has her occasional bad day but seems to be finally settling back in I think ( HOPE LOL )
I finally found a really good used car....Its a station wagon which I needed desperately as the car I had before was just way too small for 2 baby car seats and a twin pram. Its so nice to drive and has air conditioning YAY.....We have been in the middle of a heat wave the past few days with at least another 4 days of it, so it makes so much difference to have the air conditioned car
Adam seems to be growing before my very eyes.....I love it when they get a bit of meat on them and there faces fill out, you get to see what they look like a bit more LOL I cant believe its been almost 4 weeks since I had him, your right Maggie when you said its bitter sweet how quickly they grow...I was trying to remember Haley at 4 weeks old and its kind of hard to remember EXACTLY and I only had her 14 months ago
Hubby and I went and saw the doctor yesterday who is going to be giving him the big chop so there wont be anymore babies. He cant get it done till Febuary 11th now So thats another 6 months of being very very careful. I pointed out to hubby that I fell pregnant to Adam when Haley was not quite 4 months old and we thought we were being careful LOL I say 6 months as they say you arent totally safe until about 3 months after the OP is done. I feel a bit funny about him having it done to be honest...Not that I really want anymore babies, but it just seems so final ! I guess Im too old to really consider having anymore ( I just turned 36 ). My mother says I would be insane if I had anymore LOL but I dont really like having the decision taken away from me if you know what I mean. Oh well its probably for the best in the long run LOL
Anyway gotta go do some chores before this stinking heat sets in again. I just flung open all the windows to let in some fresh air. I hate being in the airconditiong for too long, but dont have much choice when trying to keep 2 babies cool
Ok hope to see some posts from the other mommies real soon and TAKE CARE everyone !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #3

TracieWilton HB User

Hey guys...Maggie, you are really on the ball, starting this thread out for us all. I am excited to keep the correspondance going.

As for me, I am on cloud nine right now, because I was just able to go to the bathroom for the third time since Maddox came into the world. It really hurt like heck, but there's nothing like getting a nice BM when you've been hurting for a long time.

Anyway, Hayleysmum...good luck to your husband and you on his little surgery. Although no guy in his right mind would consider it "little" by any means

I was wondering if anyone who is breastfeeding "cluster feeds?" Meaning, my little Maddie feeds very intermittently while at the breast, so he actually is only getting milk about half the time, and it worries me. I end up having to feed him either twice as long, or twice as many times. I know he has latched on correctly, and I know he is getting enough because of his diapers (boy is he!) And about that....someone said diapers are not supposed to stink with newborns...I'll have to disagree. Maddie shoots some fireballs....Peeeeeeyeeeewwwwwwww. Is my kid just abnormally stinky, or does anyone else have the same experience? Let me guess, all of your children smell like rose gardens Maddie must have gotten it from my husband.

Well, I am out. Didn't sleep a wink last night. Trying to force myself to sleep during the day is quite hard at times.

Tracie

Old 11-26-2004, 03:46 AM   #4
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

Hey ladies!
Thanks for the new thread! Just wanted to pop in...Alexa just started to cry, so I'm off!
Born: 10/23/04 10:41pm
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 11-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi Tracie, LOL about the fireballs Your little one is completely normal ! All Adam did for about the first 8 or 9 days was poo and yes it smells disgusting LOL I didnt think that so much could come out of such a little person LMAO His poo still really stinks occasionally.....Much worse than Haleys does...I cant really offer you much advice about his feeding, maybe start another post in parenting, Im sure there are plenty of ladies that could give you advice. But Im sure its completely normal at this stage for him to feeding this much...I know what you mean about the BM lol but thankfully it wasnt as difficult for me this time around as I didnt end up getting any stitches this time, but I remember very well from when I had Haley...
Make sure you do try and get your sleep even if it is during the day.....You need all your strength right now I think I am used to being up all hours of the night lol , but I have had over a year of doing it with Haley LOL
Anyway on that note, I better go back to bed, its only 4 am here
Hope everyone is well and TAKE CARE !

Old 11-26-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

Tracie - LOL Thanks for the laugh! My BM's weren't nearly as bad this time. With Ian the first few hurt like another labor...but this time I got ahead of the game. I got stool softeners the minute Sohpie was out and then after the first day I asked the nurse for a glycerin suppository which was VERY helpful. I kept taking the softeners and so I haven't had any pain with BM's...and I did have a 2nd degree episiotomy this time. Rest assured - it will get better! Soon you'll be pooping blissfully every time...and you'll never take it for granted again! As for the cluster feeding - girl, I sympathize. Sophie will be 2 weeks old tomorrow (WOW ) and she isn't on any kind of schedule at all. She feeds intermittently at best and constantly at worst. She wakes for the day around 10pm and is awake til 1 or 2 am. I don't play or talk to her during those times, I keep it dark and quiet to try to get her to transition her days and nights, but it isn't having much effect. Some nights I sleep 3.5-4 hours at a time and other nights I'm lucky to get 4 total hours of broken sleep. And I can't sleep during the day b/c I have Ian to watch. He takes a 2 hour nap but without fail that's when Sophie wants to do her majorly long feeding session. *sigh* I am REALLY TIRED!
But - I keep telling myself that soon this will be a distant memory and I will barely be able to remember when she was so tiny and sweet. It's hard though, at 2 am when I haven't been to sleep yet and I just laid down and she starts to cry AGAIN! Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks so I am going to start pumping and that will hopefully make my life somewhat easier. She only eats at one breast at a time so I guess I will pump from the other one at each feeding. Maybe DH will be nice enough to take over one night feeding! My biggest hope is that she will at least be somewhat on a schedule by the time I go back to work part-time. I'll be working 3 days a week so I figure that I'll enjoy my time with them and my time away even more with that schedule! Pumping at work is going to be weird though!
Lisa - I'm so glad you found a good car! Hooray for air conditioning...although I can hardly remember needing it since here it is 7:30pm and it's 32 degrees outside...just at the freezing mark! BRRRRRRRRR!
It sounds like your life is finally getting back to "normal"...I'm glad Haley is settling in. Ian is still acting out quite a bit; he needs a lot of attention and reassurance. It's a challenge...he always wants a hug or something when I'm feeding Sophie and I feel so bad b/c I can't give it to him...I try to compensate in other ways. Before I head back to work I'll probably leave Sophie with Granny and take Ian out for an afternoon with just the 2 of us to show him he's still just as special, although I try to show him that daily!
Well, I finally had time for a nice long post, but now it's time to try and rouse Sophie to eat so she doesn't get ravenous right at bedtime...the life of a new mommy is exhausting!
Hope to hear from everyone soon!!!

Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

astw22 HB User

Hi ladies,

I am back... go to the pregnancy form to read my birth story.. then we can all update on our babies here.. Take Care

Married DH - February 10, 2004
DD Avery Born - November 23, 2004

Old 11-27-2004, 10:12 AM   #8
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

Hello again!
It must be something with this board..everytime I come on it, Alexa starts to cry!!!!!! UGH!!! ahahhahahhaa
I'll be back soon...sorry!
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 11-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi guys where are you all ? I guess its the weekend and you are all busy with your little darlings
LOL Leesgirl about Alexa starting to cry everytime you come on here
I always come in first thing in the morning before my babies wake up, enjoy my coffee and peace then start my very long day LOL
Not a lot to post here really, Adam is such a passive little boy, still sleeping an incredible amount, but growing before my very eyes, so he must need it.....I still feel guilty occassionally that I dont get to hold him as much as I would like, but like most of you already know, Haley has been so demanding and seems to be getting more so....I think its more her age than a jelousy thing now....She just turned 14 months old I cant believe how quickly time goes, Adam is 4 weeks old today I sometimes wish I could make time stand still and that they would stay babies forever....I think I still have some more weird hormones rushing around my body, last night I started crying for NO reason and asking my hubby all kinds of strange questions, like why are we here if we are all going to die anyway etc....Sorry to be so depressing, I feel fine now, so Im sure its just my hormones...I rang my mum up and she said she remembers having all kinds of weird thoughts and feelings too after having us kids.......
Anyway sorry again for being depressing, just was wondering if any of you had had any weird thoughts etc ?
Better go put some washing, its never ending now with 2 babies LOL
Hope everyone and their little ones are well and TAKE CARE !

Old 11-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #10
(female)

astw22 HB User

Hi Girls,

Well as most of you already agree, motherhood is soo fanastic and rewarding. Friday our first day home from the hospital was very stressful and overwhelming for me. I had gotten used to the routine I had set up in the hospital and for a moment wished I could go back there.. Hardly ever did I ask the assistance of a nurse... but they were wonderful to be there to ask the "is this normal questions". Because of the C Section we had to set the house up different as I am not allowed to do alot of stair climbing.. like positioning the rocker in the kitchen so I could see the tv without having to walk down the stairs to our sunken in living room. Avery had a difficult first night home too.. she was up all night and didnt go to sleep until 6:30am... she was full of gas and nothing we did relieved it.. last night went more smoothly and I am hoping tonight is a repeat of the same. Any of you have experience using "gripe water".. this has been recommended by friends for gas and tummy upset but I haven't tried it yet.

I believe I have also got an infection from the tape they used to cover my incision.. Dr has given me a prescription but at least once a day I go into a cold spell and cant get warm, my tummy burns like a sunburn.. My aunt thought I might be allergic to the tape.. Leesgirl - did you experience any of this??? Also what is your pain like today after 4 weeks of recovery?? My mom is here next week but my DH is most likely taking the next week off because of my restricted activity.. it sucks when you cant even put on your own underwear or pants... my spirits are good despite the pain.. until I get a cold spell..

Just wondering from all you ladies too, your baby's first dr's appt - mine is scheduled for Dec 13/04 - what should I expect the dr to check????

Hope everyone is doing well and posts soon! I just wanted to say that I am so happy we can continue to share our parenting concerns on here.. being a first time parent.. I am worried that I will make big mistakes.. and its good to have nice supportive people who genuinely care. Thanks

Old 11-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #11
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

Hello!
This will be quick since Alexa will probably wake up because I am on here! ahhahaa!

Haleysmum: glad to hear that your little boy is doing so well! Hormones are still around with me, too! Don't worry about it! Mine are more of an "insecurity" feeling, which is very weird for me. I am having a hard time adjusting to my body...I feel like I am in someone elses skin... I can't wait to get my body back.

Astw: Recovery from the c-section varies. It has been 5 weeks now and I feel great!!! My incision got a little infected too and started to puss, but don't worry, the antibiotic will take care of it Around my incision is a little numb still...it feels really weird. I asked my sister in law about it since she had a C and she said she had that feeling for about a year and a half!!! Must be from having all the nerves cut apart! No the incision, but my insides sometimes still get a little sore, especially when Alexa is sitting on my tummy with her back on my legs (but I love to look at her like this!). Overall, I would say after 2 weeks, I felt tremendously better; after 4 weeks a whole new person! I look back now and think it was all worth it! I try and think positive: my incision is barely noticable, I didn't get hemoroids from pushing, and my privates are still intact!!!!!! ahhahahahaaa!!! Ask me any questions you have, though, okay! I didn't get that cold spell that you are talking about, though, but immediately following the C, it felt like someone lit a fire on my stomach...
My concern is more of my body...it's so disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, off for now!
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 11-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

Hello!

Lisa - I have been havng weird emotions and thoughts too. I think the hormones do a number on us. Plus I started my anti-depressants right after delivery and they havne't really become effective yet. It takes 4-8 weeks for them to really kick in. But how weird that you mentioned the "why are we here if we're going to die anyway" question - b/c I have been having major issues with mortality myself...thinking that death is inevitable and that one day I WILL die...it's creepy and morbid and scary so I try not to think about it! UGH!

astw - LOL I also wished to be back at the hospital once I was home! It was great there...getting waited on hand and foot, the baby in the nursery unless she was eating, I got more sleep there than at home by far! Last night Sophie woke up at 10pm as I was about to go to sleep and did not go to sleep until 4am... ...it was awful. I got very frustrated at one point and had to leave the room. I slept from 4-7am when Ian woke up and then I had to get up too. I will be happy when she is in a more normal sleep routine. I've already warned my DH that when I'm going to work 3 days a week, I can't handle those late nights alone...I will have to get up at 5am so going to sleep at 4am won't work! He'll have to take turns being up with her! He agrees now, but when the time comes I bet he'll sing a different tune!
I'm sorry about your infection - - I hope the medicine clears it up fast!
How old will Avery be at her appt on Dec 13? For the 1-month dr. appt., she will have to get shots (how many varies from dr. to dr.) and the doc will check out her whole body, reflexes, eyes/ears/mouth/nose, palpitate her belly, etc. After the shots she will be sleepy for a few hours and might need extra holding and feeding, and the site of the shot(s) might be a little red and tender. By the next day she'll be back to normal! Sophie has her 1-month on Dec. 15th.

LeesGirl - I am so with you on the body image thing. It's been 2 weeks and 2 days for me and my stomach is making me sick - it is still so soft and flabby. YUCK! Granted, it's a LOT smaller than it was at first, it's just the softness! It feels like a gross puffy marshmallow! I can't even begin to get into any of my old clothes - sure hope that changes in 3 weeks so I'll be able to wear something to work! I can't go buy a work wardrobe of big clothes! I can't believe it's been 5 weeks for you and you still feel bad about your body - that doesn't give me much hope for returning to work at the 5-week mark! LOL I'll have to make do somehow!

Is anyone else still breastfeeding? It's really challenging. I feel very tied down...I'm the only one who can feed her, and I can't go out for more than an hour at a time in between feedings. I did start pumping yesterday, but I feel like I need to get a good supply stored up before I use any of it...I'm anxious that I'll have to go to work and there won't be enough milk and she'll be starving! Crazy, I know - it'll get easier as I get the hang of it and work out a schedule, but right now I feel SO overwhelmed. I really want to breastfeed, though, both for the health benefits and the cost of formula...I just can't stand to spend that much money when breastmilk is free! Tell me how your feeding schedules are going - I feel like Sophie will never get a routine down, but it's only been 2 weeks...I need reassurance!!!

Okay - she's grunting and I think she's going to be hungry AGAIN!!!!
One last question...POLL! How long did the cord stump take to fall off? Sophie is 16 days old and hers is still attached!

Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi everyone
ASTW I hope your recovery is fast for you, it must be incredibly hard trying to recover and look after a new baby.....In regards to the gripe water, I bought some for Adam which thankfully I have only had to use once and he absolutely detested the taste of it, he was actually gagging on it If I have to use it again I will put it in a little boiled water for him....So far he has been really good with the gas ( TOUCH WOOD ) I am so terrified of him getting inflicted with colic or reflux like Haley did.....
Leesgirl try not to worry to much about your body, before you know it you will look great again Just try to think positive, at least you dont look like a beached whale anymore LOL Well thats what I think anyway, Im just so glad to be able to move around again
Maggie isnt it weird that these feelings of mortality hit us....My mum seems to think its quite normal and thats its because we are frightened of dying and leaving our little ones...I think that has been my most scarey feelings, like who will look after my babies if something happens to me or thoughts of not seeing them grow up etc ...So its not so much Im scared of dying personally its more about my babies....Im like you and just try not to think about it, or do something to occupy myself when I get hit with these terrible thoughts and feelings....But on a brighter note I think I am coping quite well I still get tired of course, but it seems to be much easier this time around compared to when I had Haley...I believe its because Im already use to not sleeping LOL Adam does do quite well at night, he usually sleeps 5 to 6 hours overnight ( not evey night of course ) so at least I am getting a half decent amount of sleep....I just hope he stays this content
Anyway Im off again, have to get Haley her brekkie and get her dressed.
Hope everyone is getting as much sleep as POSSIBLE and TAKE CARE !

Old 11-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
(female)

astw22 HB User

Hi Ladies,

Well I made it through a day that has been causing some anxiety since finding out I needed a C Section... I had my staples removed today.. according to everyone that sees the incision that is it very clean and healing well.. I cant see it yet because of the way my skin hangs.. lol.. Avery is now a week old and I can hardly believe it.. Maggie - 16 days the stump hasn't fallen off yet?? Avery's looks like it will be falling off soon.. On Dec 13th she will be 3 weeks old so I don't if they will check her and have us come back for immunizations or what? I live in Canada and I am not sure of the immunization schedule yet..

Lisa - Well my mom and I have been using the gripe water with Avery at night when she is really fussing and wont sleep... she doesn't seem to mind the taste of it and it seems to make her tummy better and get her bowels moving..I am formula feeding so I know that is what is causing the gas..

In regards to my body.. well right now it looks like and feels like crap.. haha.. I was excited in the hospital because 2 days after delivery I looked and my breasts seemed smaller and I was happy.. but then Sunday my milk came in and now they are HUGE again.. Did anyone have major swelling in their hands, legs and feet after delivery???.. mine is sooo bad.. I have no ankles..and I am soo full of fluid I have only lost 8 lbs since delivery and Avery was 8 lbs..LOL.. so im not doing too good.. nurses told me it could take weeks for the swelling to go down.. yikes.. anyways.. hope everyone is doing well with their little ones.. and trying to rest when you can..

p.s. I wonder where LYD is?? Haven't seen her in a while.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 PM   #15
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

Hi everyone!
Shannon: I HAD HORRIBLE SWELLING!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot about it until you mentioned it! Sorry you have it... Mine went down about a week after delivery. My hands are still a little swollen because I can't wear both my engagement and wedding rings..just one at a time. It'll go down...just drink tons of water. I hear it's the pitocin that does it... and more so when you have a c-section because your body was opened up so it fills with air, etc.

I'm trying not to worry about my body, but it's hard not to. I only have 7 lbs left to pre-preg weight, but want to lose 15. I can go to the gym and fix what I can, but it's the other stuff (uncontrolable stuff) that bothers me the most... Stretch marks, saggy boobs, large dark areolas, wider hips... UGH!!!

Well, Alexa was fussy today..I think she is going through a growth spurt. She was eating so much Sun and Mon, but not too much today...

For those that are formula feeding, what temp do you warm the bottle to? And do you mix per bottle and shake or make a batch and pour? I'm just wondering...I was making a batch then I tried just per bottle and shaking and I swear that the bubbles from shaking made her gas worse. It seemed that it went away then when I started per bottle shakes it got worse... so I am back to making a batch and warming it up per bottle.

Also, how much is everyone's baby eating and how often? Just curious!
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Closed Thread