It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #1

TracieWilton HB User
My baby won't leave my breast!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! My little one is a week old, and he never wants to do anything but feed...including sleep. I am really worried about him. Just to give an example...he has been up since 6:30 this morning, and has slept about 1 and 1/2 hours in 8 hours, and the rest of the time he is at the breast sucking intermittently....meaning he is feeding for about half the time he is actually latched on. I know he is getting enough in the long run because of his diaper output. Let us just say it is not lacking. I hera newborns sleep about 16-30 hours....my boy sleeps about 1'2 to 1/3 of that.

Please help. ANY ADVICE WOULD DUE....

Tracie

Old 11-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: My baby won't leave my breast!

Sounds like to me he's just a hungry boy. He'll probably slack off soon. He may be in a growth spurt. Always to be on the safe side ask your doctor. I know your one tired mommy too. Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

Once he is finished eating maybe you should try a pacifier.
8/11/04 via C-Section
10lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 inches

Old 11-27-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

I agree pacifiers worked great for my DD at that age. Hang in there it's probably a growth spurt and it will end.

Old 11-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Babies will also nurse more instictivly if they want your milk production to increase (why they nurse more durring a growth spurt...both to help them through their spurt, but also so there will be more milk once the spurt is over).
Your baby most likely has a strong suck reflex...try a pacifier (the clear silicone ones are best).

Old 11-28-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

trust me i feel ur pain!!!! when i was feeding my son it seemed every 20 mins he was on there and i did this for a yr!!! i produced more than enough milk he just couldnt get enough. my doc says it is kind of normal and breast fed babies to need it more often. good luck with this difficult time! your only options are to stop breastfeeding or keep it up, it just create a lot of hassles for me it was worth it but others that is a decision they have to make.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Tracie...Welcome to parenthood

Newborns love to suck whether it be on the breast or their fist or the pacifier. Your son wanting your breast may be just to satisfy his need for sucking. I would recommend you start a routine with your son....it is important to be consistent. Prior to feeding him change his diaper. Have him feed on one side for 5-10 minutes burp and then the other side. He should at this age fall asleep while on the other side. Burp once again and then place a pacifier in & wrap him tightly (newborns love to be swaddled or wrapped tightly in a blanket) and then place him in his bassinet for sleep. If he fusses but you know he is dry & fed, replace the pacifier as needed and pat him back to sleep. This should work....and when he rests make sure mommy does too.....hope I helped....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 11-29-2004 at 05:46 AM.

Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

cassandrasmommy HB User

i agree with the pacifier thing. he just wants to be close to you. He was so close to you for nine months, why would he want that to be any differant now. Good luck and welcome to parenthood!
DD-12/12/05
DS-8/7/09

Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
(female)

sland HB User

My third child was the same and I was losing my mind! She was small when she was born and would eat all of the time. She would literally fall asleep nursing, but she would not let me pull her off. I tried a pacifier and it did not work. Basically she just needed to eat a ton. My let down was good she is just a huge eater. Even now, she is 9 months old, and is slim but eats more than any baby I have ever seen. I did notice with her when she was about 2 months old she kind of got some colic for a while. I think it was gas though and I would rub her belly and move her legs and that seemed to help. My best advice is just keep feeding, learn how to sleep and feed (on your side works best) and it does taper off at about three months old. Know that you are doing the best for your baby by breastfeeding. Also know that if your baby cries for a couple of min. it is o.k. You can leave him in his crib to take a shower or with a friend or relative for a couple of min. You will get a sanity break and be a better mom for it. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread