It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
grandma question

Recently, my wife's mother took our 4-year old out for the afternoon. It was supposed to be some time for grandma to spend alone with him.

When my son returned, he said grandma had brought a "friend" along, and that this "friend" had been with them the whole time. When we asked my mother-in-law who this "friend" was, and why she'd come along, my mother-in-law refused to say.

We like to know who our son is spending time with when he's not with us, and have reservations now about letting my mother-in-law take our son on future outings. Are we being overly protective?

Last edited by danimal15; 12-02-2004 at 01:55 PM. Reason: to make sure no one realizes my identity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #2

FaithfulyWaiting HB User
Re: grandma's "friend"

I don't think you're being overprotective. I think you have the right to know who is spending time around your child. Your MIL needs to respect that. I wouldn't let my child go with her, unless she agrees to your terms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

I totally agree with you and the previous poster, and NO your not overreacting ! You have every right to know who she has around your child. If she cant respect your wishes then you have to tell her she wont be having him anymore. Its such a shame we have to be SO protective of our children now, but thats just the way the world is now unfortunately I wont leave my children with my mother anymore ( long story ) and have banned my father in law from coming to my home ever again ( another long story ) You or your wife must remind your mother in law that YOU are his parents and if she wont tell you who she was with then she will not be having him anymore. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I don't think your overreacting, but maybe this person is a male friend of your MIL's and she is either not ready or uncomfortable about talking about him just yet. (I don't know her situation so this is a stab in the dark)
But still, she needs to understand your concerns.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Unless your mil has terrible judgement when it comes to friends, or there is another reason why her friend wouldn't be suitable for your child to be around i don't see the big deal. If she had left him alone with her or something that would be a different story, i don't see the big deal with grandma bringing a friend along with her assuming it didn't take away from your sons time with his grandmother.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

i would personally not let him go again till your mother in law told you who this "stranger" is, i can certainly see your concern, even if your MIL is a good judge of character, it doesnt mean this person is a good person, just that he is very good at pretending to be.....and maye this person is a wonderful person, but as a parent you have the right to know and approve of people who your child is with.
i for one am suspicious as to why she doesnt want you to know who it is.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

No you arent being overprotective. If she wouldnt tell you who the stranger was, she must think it would upset you to know. If it was just the "little old dear lady neighbor" thats one thing, but who knows who it could have been? Keep child away until grandma explains.

Closed Thread