It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User
Unhappy how do u get a kid to sleep!!!!!!!!!!! :(

hi guys!
as my title go's, how do u get a 4 year old (5, in 17days!!!) to sleep.

We put Tyler to bed at about 8:00-8:30 latest. my mom reads him a story, etc, etc..
he does have a routine.. get dressed into pjs, then brush teeth..pick book, my mom and him, read to each other.. hug and kiss good nite.

Light goes off, lamp goes on.. my mom leaves room.. and he "should" fall asleep.

this is been goin on for awhile. and we're gettin annoyed!
he leaves his room, and comes in here or somethin, then we make him go back.. even if he stays in his room, he'll play or something..

Yesterday, my mom put him to bed at 8:00pm, but he actually fell asleep... about...... 11:35pm.. or so

He is busy in the day.. he gos to school, from about 9am-5:15pm.. and he does lots of stuff there.. the he comes home.. and he is still busy usually..

what else can we do to make him sleepy?!? HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by whiteluluflower; 12-06-2004 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spellin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: how do u get a kid to sleep!!!!!!!!!!! :(

You can't make a person go to sleep, but, you can create a calm quiet time in the evening prior to bedtime for him to wind down. If there is still lots of activity going on in the house, he will want to not be left out. When it is bedtime for a younger child it is time for everyone in the house to quiet down for the evening.

Some kids get "sugar highs", and if they do then sweets should be limited or avoided no later than 3:00 pm. This will give time for the sugar to wear off and the child to settle down.

Make sure dinner is served no later than 6:00 pm. Late eating can interfer with bedtime since his body will be working on the food.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

we do have a quiet calm down time... he relaxes..like we watch tv, play videoo games.. or.. read, whatever really...

he usually eats dinner when he gets home.(between5-5:30)
hmmm..... good idea on the sweets tho, but he really doesnt eat a lot of sweets... lol...

before (a couple months ago), he was able to sleep, about 1/2 hour after we put him to bed.. not anymore..

I've realized a pattern tho.. he usually falls asleep, about 10 minutes, after i go to the room, and read to myself.... But I dont wanna go in there evry night, at 8! lol
I cant even! I work, monday,wed, and Friday, to about 8, or so.. lol

Do you any of u have ne ideas, how we can wind him down, and try to sleep early?

Old 12-07-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

If he goes to sleep quickly after you go and read to yourself why not do that to see if it works (if it does than it'll let you know that he is going to bed at the proper time and that he can fall asleep early). It should be quiet time for the rest of the house. I'm not saying when he goes to bed everything shuts down and it's total silence, but make sure things like dishes are done before he goes to bed, no loud talking (i don't know if you have other children), just do things quietly in general. It may just be he things he's missing something by being in bed so he doesn't want to sleep, if it's fairly quiet he'll realize he's not missing anything.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

I know how frustrating this can be! My son (3 1/2) was getting up several times a night and coming downstairs or into our room after we were asleep. Now, we let him choose 2 books before bedtime and take them to his room. The rule is, he has to stay in his bed, but if he can't sleep, he can look at the books he chose for a few minutes to relax. It has actually worked...and most nights he doesn't even need the books, just knowing he has the option relaxes him enough and he goes to sleep right away.
I hope you find a good solution!

Old 12-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

lol mandy, my mom makes sure it is quiet when he goes to bed! lol
Also Mandy, there is a reason why we dont want to go in the room with him when he is supposed to sleep.. long story.:-s.. so I dont like goin into the room, until i want to go to bed. or at least an hour after he gets put 2 bed(in same bedroom), (btw, no other "kids" his age here.., lol, only a 18, 19, 25, and my mom and him of course!)

altho, i know, it is not him wanting to wait for me to go to bed, because, b4, he was able to fall asleep, all on his own.

Momx2, lol, he has about 5-6 books in his room, taht he can choose to look at or not... lol, so he knows he is allowed.lol

lol, and if i go in there to early.. just after my mom puts him to sleep.. he'll just stay up, and talk to me.. lol :|

also, this may sound like a dumb question, but, is there any sugar in Jello?
(he had 2 last nite, and he was able to sleep, at about 9:40-9:45..(he was put to bed, about 920.. could help that it was so late yesterday..) <- i was in the room, when he fell asleep..he slept in my moms bed yesterday)

Last edited by whiteluluflower; 12-07-2004 at 01:36 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Video games and TV can be very stimulating to a young child. Yes, jello has sugar.

Have you tried low soft music in his room (no singing)?

Old 12-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

ya marie... true! lol..we have cut down the time he can play with it.. we started that like october/november, less playing..

ooo, music..very good idea...I'll be sure to get music, with my next paycheck (on the 17th..lol)
or, ill see if my mom wants to get the music.....

Old 12-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #9
(female)

cassandrasmommy HB User

My daughter would do the same thing if we put her in a toddler bed. Which I think we may do soon. She always wants me to sit next to the crib until she's asleep. Her Dr told me to go ahead and let her cry for a few minutes. It works! I understand this may not work in your situation. Dr also says to try a few slices of cheese before bed. I'm not sure why, but this also works for my daughter. Good luck.
DD-12/12/05
DS-8/7/09

Old 12-13-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

he eats cheese all the time, he luvs it..
lol
. Tyler wont cry, he'll just stay awake and play! lol
ill understand, if he stays awake in 10 days.. and 11, and 12 days, from now..
Dec 23-bday, 24, christmas eve, 25-christmas! I know he wont go to sleep early those days

ya, nothing helped yet, to get him to fall asleep earlier.. gonna get the music on friday.. hope it helps.

k, this is dumb question, but it is buggin me, on the 12 days of christmas song, what is number 12!?!? ive been tryin to remember ALL day!

Old 12-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteluluflower
hi guys!
as my title go's, how do u get a 4 year old (5, in 17days!!!) to sleep.

We put Tyler to bed at about 8:00-8:30 latest. my mom reads him a story, etc, etc..
he does have a routine.. get dressed into pjs, then brush teeth..pick book, my mom and him, read to each other.. hug and kiss good nite.

Light goes off, lamp goes on.. my mom leaves room.. and he "should" fall asleep.

this is been goin on for awhile. and we're gettin annoyed!
he leaves his room, and comes in here or somethin, then we make him go back.. even if he stays in his room, he'll play or something..

Yesterday, my mom put him to bed at 8:00pm, but he actually fell asleep... about...... 11:35pm.. or so

He is busy in the day.. he gos to school, from about 9am-5:15pm.. and he does lots of stuff there.. the he comes home.. and he is still busy usually..

what else can we do to make him sleepy?!? HELP!!!!!!

OH MY GOSH, I thought that i was reading about my little 4 year old. My best friend ( like my sister ) just died 4 months ago and i now am raising her 4 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl. Both children are night owls and do not like to go to bed!!!!!! They were like that when they were still with there mom. The 4 yr old does the EXACT same thing as yours does at night. Very Very rarely will he go directly to sleep when put in his room. It is CRAZY!!!!! I just accepted that there really isnt much more than i can do but do the whole bedtime routine like you do and just keep being persistant that he stays in his room, IN BED and just keep reprimanding him every time he comes out of his room and hope that over time he will change and except it. I sympathize with you, i know just what you are going through!!!!!! ValleyGurl

Old 12-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #12
(female)

sland HB User

I am having the same problem with my 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old. One of my friends told me about a study in which kids who watch tv or play video games one hour before bedtime have a harder time falling asleep. Don't know if it is true, but we are giving it a shot at our house (at this point we will try anything!)

Old 12-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

hmmm.. ill try that, no nintendo.. (not sure about tv tho..)

Old 12-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #14
(female)

UNdscovrdCCRETS HB User

Driving around in the car always worked for my kids!

Old 12-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

we dont have a car...

Closed Thread