It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User
Is My 6 Week Old Normal ?

Hi my son is just turned 6 weeks old and sleeps pretty much alllllllllllll the time.....He is normally awake for a couple of hours in the evening, which isnt a good time in my house ( see the post I am about to write about my almost 15 month old ). Anyway during the day, he has a bottle, will maybe be awake for a little while after his bottle, then straight back to sleep.....Im starting to worry that he is sleeping way too much I am frightened he isnt getting enough stimulation because he sleeps so much....I am also scared because the poor little thing when he is awake in the evening, isnt getting my undivided attention ( see post about my other baby ).Anyway I just want to know how much a baby his age should be sleeping ? Please tell me if my baby is normal

Old 12-14-2004, 03:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
Re: Is My 6 Week Old Normal ?

Hi! Me again I wouldn't worry about your son...he is still VERY young..and considering some of the issues you are having with your daughter..it's probably best that he is asleep most of the time lol Too bad he's awake for the whole bedtime production. I don't remember for sure, but I think that babies that age sleep an average of 18 hours a day. I wouldn't worry about him not getting enough stimulation. I'm sure you're doing your best when he is awake. Plus I made the mistake of over stimulating my 1st and wondered why he never slept? I say treasure your sleeping angel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Momx2in04 HB User

Lisa - Adam is totally normal. Don't worry - Sophie is 4 .5 weeks old now and she still sleeps all the time too. He will be awake more and more. And hey, maybe this is the Lord's way of balancing things out...since Haley hates to sleep, He gave you Adam who LOVES it! LOL Don't worry - he'll be FINE! At his age they don't need much "stimulation"...what helps them grow and learn is comfort and security that comes from having their needs met...which you are doing just by feeding him when he's hungry and cuddling him when he fusses. You're a great mom...it will all calm down soon!!

Old 12-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Inactive

bboz27 HB User

My son is 6 months old and he can only stay awake 2 hours at atime. He requires about 14 hrs of sleep.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Inactive

bboz27 HB User

Also, enjoy it while you can!!! I'm definatly taking advantage. Just think in a year, you'll being praying for him to take a nap.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

LOL Bboz your totally right

Old 12-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

angelbyheaven HB User

oh honey dont worry at all that is totally normal......... my baby didnt even start staying up for about 2 to 4 hr durning the day until he was about 4 months then when he hit 8 months it was alll over. but still my baby sleeps alot he still at 10 mo goes to bed at 8 to 9 and wakes up at 630 EVERY MORNING ( DADDYS LITTLE ALARM CLOCK) and maybe somedays goes right back to sleep and then wake up at about ten or stay up and lays down around 11 and sleep till 2 and still want to take another nap for about an hour aroung 5 he is crazy but thats my baby ......... he is like is mom he loves to sleep and he is very outgoing lol that is prob why he sleeps so much he exhaust himself to death.......... but yes like the other says take advantage of it ......... while it last

Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

When my son was 13 months old I brought home twin girls. They slept in my room for about four months but then had to go to their own room. He got used to crying babies and when they slept I would spend my attention on him. Don't get me wrong I had to give him to the tv set at times so I could clean house and do dishes and ALL the house work. Husband I were seperated so I did this all on my own. I used to have a saying when they were sleeping and when they got up and stretched. I would say "you are growing right before my eyes" and those are the moments I remember. They grow when they sleep and when they stretch. These are quiet magical moments. Your other chil will get used to sharing time and before you know it, it will be both of them together playing and YOU will be out of the picture. Of course you have to wait until the baby is about two or three. There are tons of tricks. I had my babies all taking naps at the same time so I could nap too. You may have to keep her awake to get her on a schedule and make sure you stick to the schedule for a good couple of weeks. Try not to plan outings around the nap time...keep those strict. Your other child will eventually get used to the baby crying and sleep right through it. Mine found comfort in hearing the other cry because they knew they were close to each other. At six weeks they do sleep alot, the baby will get bigger and bigger before you realize it. Watch him while he sleeps you might see him growing. hehehe. Don't shelter your other child from the babies cries....she will find her own way to deal with it and eventually feel safe. Have her check on the baby with you and make her feel like that's HER baby.

Closed Thread