It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2004, 10:11 PM   #1

sdunner HB User
Thumbs down Baby won't sleep

hi all,

My baby is almost 10 months old and he won't sleep. He was always a good sleeper and has slept through the night from 6 weeks old. The problem is that 5 weeks ago he broke his leg and was in a full body cast until last week. I have been trying to put him to bed and he screams until he throws up on himself. He never cries himself to sleep he just keeps going. I have tried everything I can think of and taken others advice. I have been very ill since he was born and i am going crazy I need some sleep.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Shaz

Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 AM   #2

mamadeamo HB User
Re: Baby won't sleep

Hi Shaz-

Poor you and poor baby! You sound like you guys are really having a rough time. Has this been going on since he broke his leg, or only since the cast came off? Is it only at bedtime that he is screaming? Physical trauma can be very frightening and unbalancing for little ones. They have no way of knowing what's happening, and no context for it. Have your tried lying down with him? It may be that he realy needs to be close to someone for a time, until he regains his equalibrium. If you are still nursing, you could also try nursing him just before you put him down. Wait until he's just at the point of dropping off, and gently unlatch him. Then lay him down and rub his back for a few minutes. For other suggestions you could try www.askdrsears.com. They have a wonderful site, and address lots of sleep issues.

We have used some natural treatments in the past with our son, with good results. I really can't explain why they work, cause it doesn't seem logical, but homeopathics have helped. (We used the teething tablets, but they make one called 'Calm', it's a company called Hyland. They are totally safe, and worth a shot in my opinion. There's another one called "Bach flower remedy" which you might try as well.

Good luck to you- it's hard to see your little one in pain and upset, especially if you aren't feeling well either. it sounds like you are giving it everything you've got, just remember that when it comes to kids, *everything* is a phase!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

All I can think is "how awful for both of you!" Poor things I think that your son is going to need some extra cuddling/coddling for a while. I bet that he's been traumatized pretty bad and will need some time to get over it and that crying is not the answer. Unfortunately that means more time from your (or hubby's) schedule. Rocking to sleep or lying down with him. I hope that you all are doing better soon!

Old 12-16-2004, 06:11 AM   #4
(female)

picksie HB User

Ditto on the poor baby/Mom.... that must be a horribly terrifying experience for a baby to go through, not to mention how you must have felt.

My son had colic, obviously not as traumatic as a broken bone but still caused lack of sleep. My remedy was, against my better judgement, to bring him into my bed. And I agree that he may just need some extra love and reassurance until he completely heals - mind and body. The unfortunate part sounds like you are not feeling well which could be a problem but most times, most babies will sleep better with their parents. So maybe he will sleep with you and then you both benefit.

The upside is IMO it does wonders for your parent-child bond. There are a lot of people against this but hey, if you don't know what it's like to have a baby that doesn't sleep then don't knock it. I was suffering from depression so I had to get some rest.... and that did it. Of course, I never put a stop to it so he still sleeps in my bed quite often but I don't mind. I figure he's only little once and he can sleep in his own bed for the rest of his life.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User

I sympathize with you. Poor baby. Does he seem ok during the day (pain wise). My son also broke is leg (12 years old) in September and was in a full leg cast for 8 weeks, then half leg cast for 3 weeks and now has crutches only. The reason why I'm asking is because when my son when to half a cast, he had a lot of knee pain, because of the lack of movement (knee needed a bit of oil ) and now since they removed is cast, he's experiencing some heel pain when he walks. Is it possible that your baby feels uncomfortable when lying down. Maybe you could give him ibuprofen before going to bed to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by Mica09; 12-16-2004 at 06:51 AM.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #6

sdunner HB User

Ryan seems to be ok during the day now. The first couple of days he was stiff and sore. He will sleep fine if he is on the couch with me or in my bed even if he is sleeping on the floor in the living room with me nearby. THe problem is I want him to learn to put himself to sleep and stay asleep. He will stay up until 1 am if i don't put him to bed. Staying up late started when they put the cast on because he wasn't comfortable and I think I babied him too much because I felt so guilty that this happened. I don't want to keep letting him away with it in case it becomes a habit. And I thought everything would be fine with the cast off lol.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #7

mamadeamo HB User

I can empathize with wanting him to learn to sleep on his own, but this may not be the ideal timing! If you push him too hard now, when he's struggling anyway, you may push him the other direction. Just a thought. Also, go easy on yourself about how you reacted when they put the cast on- IMO, you can't baby a baby too much! LOL! They ARE babies, and aren't thinking yet in terms of 'getting away with stuff'- which isn't to say they aren't testing. They are, but that is part of normal development. I don't think you need to let him keep staying up late, but if he needs you to get to sleep/stay asleep right now, that may help him develop a strong sense of security so that when he's past all this, he can move on to sleeping on his own more easily.

Hope you both feel better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunner
THe problem is I want him to learn to put himself to sleep and stay asleep. He will stay up until 1 am if i don't put him to bed. Staying up late started when they put the cast on because he wasn't comfortable and I think I babied him too much because I felt so guilty that this happened. I don't want to keep letting him away with it in case it becomes a habit.

Closed Thread