It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
Inactive

bboz27 HB User
I think I want another baby

My baby boy is 6 months old right now. I would like to start trying again. Can anyone tell me what its like to have children close together?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User
Re: I think I want another baby

my sister and i are the closest of the four of us. we are 18 months apart. but I am sure some are total enemies......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User

My 3 children are not that close in age (2 yrs and 9 months between each one of them) but my cousin had a 3 month old when she found out she was pregnant again. It was far from easy in the first year or so but got easier as the kids got older. I think it also depends on your childrens's temperament. Your older child can be a very easygoing baby, but you have a chance that the second one won't be. That's something you have to think about. But it all depends on you. If you have the energy

Old 12-18-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi there, my babies are 13 months apart, my son is only 7 weeks old and daughter almost 15 months. I cant really offer much advice at this stage as I am still settling in with them...I have been very lucky because my son is a very good baby so far.......its been my daughter who has been a bit of a hand full, but a lot of that I put down to her age The main thing is trying to stay in a routine with them...I find if I get behind in house work or washing etc I start to feel very stressed and overwhelmed sometimes. But thats just me I guess LOL . People say to me dont worry about the house work etc, you have enough on your plate, but I just need things a little organised to stay feeling good Good Luck with whatever you decide

Old 12-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
(female)

UNdscovrdCCRETS HB User

My mother had children close in age (my brother and I are 11 months apart) and yes, it is hard at the beginning but, it is balanced out with the fact that number one, when they are little they appreciate eachother much more because they are eachother's friend. Also, they can hang out with eachother more when they are older because they have similar interests. I would definently recomend have children close in age! GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-19-2004, 03:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

angel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB Userangel_bear HB User
Exclamation Re: I think I want another baby

I must say, when my son was 7 months old, we went on a holiday and I forgot to take the BC pills .. so we shrugged and said "oh what the heck, if it happens it happens" .. well, 8 weeks later, it happened. considering how colicky our son was for 3 months, we apparently forgot that mess and concentrated on another bub coming along!! She was born when he was 17 months old, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Logic prevailed which was "We're tired now, we may as well keep going and get the 'tired' over and done with" LOL ....

Until baby Number 3 arrived .... she turned up 3 weeks before Master C turned 4, so for 3 weeks we had 3 babies under the age of 3 (and even when he turned four, it was interesting) ... I coped WELL with two babies, I DID NOT cope well with 3 so little. Especially when the 3rd one was constantly on death's door for 3 years... (neutered all thoughts of having a fourth!!!)

My friend had two close together, then 8 years later had another 2 close together. I don't know if I could do that either....

I guess the short story is: if you think you can handle it, go for it. Be prepared for two of everything, and don't try and make the first one grow up too fast .....

Goodluck

Sally

Old 12-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

Your body has not yet fully recovered from your first pregnancy. I realize the tug to procreate, however, IMO, you owe it to yourself to fully recover. I also think it would be such a gift to your baby boy to be the only baby for a while. The attention you can give him as an 'only' for a couple of years is wonderful, not to mention being able to sleep for a while before you start it all over again.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:50 PM   #8
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Hello im beginning to be the expert on this I think. Lol. My oldest is 8 then my younger two are 1,2 as soon as I had my 2 year old even in the hospital I told dh I wanted to try for another. We did and instantly got pg. In many ways I think what in the world was I thinking but in other ways its so nice to see then learn from each other and interact. I also think they can grow up together and I hope they are close. I am pg now with #4 so it will be pretty close in age also. they will then be 1,2,3,8 whew what was I thinking. Lol I wouldnt take it back though even on the worst days.

Also another thing to think about is when im tyrying to get one to sleep like,laying in my lap ect the other will come in the room screaming or playing and mees the other one up. So its very difficult like that.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #9
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

My children are 4,3,3. When my son was four months old I loved him so much I wanted another baby. I thought "oh, I'll have two little boys close together" hahaha When that ultrasound showed two heads I freaked out. But in the long run they were the biggest blessings. They are all the best of friends, they stick up for each other...one will point to one and so on and you never know WHO actually did whatever it was. It is true that your body needs time to heal. But if you are normal weight and are healthy then there isn't a problem. I never neglected my first because of my second. I spend equal time with all of them. I love the bond they have, I love seeing all their little body's laying on the couch watching movies and eating popcorn together. They all play together, they laugh, fight, get sick together. As far as a bad point....well.....Mine are still little so I think the hardest part is yet to come when they are teenagers. If you have the room and the patients I say go ahead because it does take ALOT of patients and it's not easy. It's alot of work. Love goes a long way though. Keep us posted. Good luck

Old 12-20-2004, 01:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

hi, i have a 14 month old little girl and i am 4 months pregnant.....

so my little ones will be about 19 months apart i am about to experience this close in age thing.

my brother and i were about 24 months apart and we were very close, we still are.

i started wanting another when my daughter was about 4 months, my very tired husband on the other hand was not as anxious, as far as he was concerend one was enough lol

but we started trying and i was pregnant 6 months later (when my daughter turned 10 months old.)

just wanted to share my story, good luck with your decision.

Old 12-23-2004, 02:03 AM   #11
(female)

MermaidMer HB User

my brother and i are 17 months apart and we are extremely close. of course, we had our usual sibling rivalries and fights as little kids, but as we got older and entered our teenage years, we turned to each other for advice and consolation when we didn't want to talk to our parents. (by the way, i'm 21 and he's 20.) when we were younger, people used to think we were twins because we looked so much alike, and when people called us on the phone they couldn't differentiate our voices. it got annoying, but we learned to deal with it, just like we learned to deal with each other, since we knew we were stuck with each other for life. now, we are best friends, we have many friends in common, and we go out together. we've visited each other at college, and he even paid out of his own pocket for a bus ticket for me to visit him when i hit one of my lows while battling clinical depression, and i just needed to get away. he's been there for me through thick and thin, and i couldn't ask for a better younger brother. sorry to ramble on so long, i just though i'd share my story and i hope it will encourage you. so i'd say go for it, and i wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do!

~Meredith

Old 12-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Let me take the contrary view here. My wife and I have a boy who's about to turn 5 and another boy who's almost one and a half. They're 3 years and 5 months apart. I think it worked well to wait, because by the time Evan was born, Jonah was much more able to fend for himself, and to understand better why we couldn't give him all of our attention those first few months with the new baby. Now that Evan is a toddler, they're becoming good friends, and are starting to play together more. My wife and I had plenty of time to recover from our first baby by the time we had our second, and those first few months with the second were so much easier than the first few with the first. I know people who have bunched their kids close together (one couple has a son and daughter 20 months apart) and to me, it looked like they were going through absolute hell for a while. Just my two cents.

Last edited by danimal15; 12-23-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Old 12-25-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Mine are almost 6 years apart in age, and I can totally see how having 2 close together would be good for them! I had to wait forever for my younger daughter to be able to go to the movies, roller rink, and do all the fun things I like to do with her sister. Plus, it really helped my older daughter to have a sibling. The world doesnt revolve around her anymore, I have a better perspective on parenting, and she is learning to get along with a sibling. My brother and I are 17 months apart in age. My mom wanted us to be very close in age, and we had a blast together growing up.

Having a child that is 8, and a child that is 2, their needs are very different, and instead of caring for them at the same time, I often have to deal with one, then the other. I personally think it is a great experience for a child to grow up with a sibling. I dont really believe that they need years of individual attention--if you want another child, have one! If anything, your child will learn to get along with others, be more independent, and its one more person to share life with! I am so happy that I had another child. I couldnt have one after I had my first (I split up with her father) but if I hadnt been single, I would have had another within a year or so. When I got married, I got pregnant right away, I was itching to have another baby!

Closed Thread