It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #1

CaliPhoto55 HB User
7 Month Old and sleeping

I am having trouble putting my seven month old to sleep. The only way that he seems to fall asleep is if I nurse him, and this is putting a strain on me. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get my DS to sleep so I can sleep?

Old 01-17-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: 7 Month Old and sleeping

Here is something I did. I nursed my son and I had breast pads that I would put in my bra. Well.....after breast feeding him I would put the breast pad under his nose and lower him into his crib on his side and when he would move he would smell the milk and go back to sleep because the milk comforted him. So after a few seconds I would remove the pad from under his nose and he stayed asleep. Just a trick that worked with mine.
Something else you could do is get him used to the sound of a box fan when he gets put into his bed this way the white sound will get him to sleep and whenever he hears it he will be used to it.
Children even babies need routine...so whatever you do keep doing it so he knows exactly when it is bed time..such as a warm bath and then a story..feeding and then bed. Do this without breaking the routine. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

I agree you should establish a good bedtime routine - such as a story and a bottle in a comfortable rocking chair. Turn on a white noise machine, which provides a soothing background sound. Then put the baby in his crib and leave the room. No doubt there will be a lot of crying, and you should go in every so often and pick him up and comfort him. But space out the visits further and further, and before long, your baby will put himself to sleep without much fuss. This worked very well with both of our little boys, starting at five months or so, and took only a few nights. It may seem cruel (my wife hid in the bathroom with the shower on so she wouldn't have to hear the wailing), but I think it's a tried and tested method, and neither of them have had any major sleep problems. Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #4

CaliPhoto55 HB User

Thanks, I'll give these ideas a try!

Closed Thread