It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User
Newborn question?

Hey just a couple of questions about newborns. I brought my baby girl (Gabby) home from the hospital saturday and so far she's only managed to sleep in her moses basket for 1 night, last night and the night before she would only stay settled when she was beside me either on the couch or in bed.... but only at night! During the day she's fine to put down
I really don't want this to become a habit, but if it means I get a few hours sleep I find it hard to resist Any hints or feedback would be great!

Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Newborn question?

Don't worry too much! In the early days the only thing that matters is survival!!! LOL. They are FAR too young to be establishing any habits. My son was the same way and slept with me quite often til he was about 6 months old. Then he transferred to his crib no problem. He refused to sleep in his bassinet and hated sleeping on his back and had a bad startle reflex that would wake him up.

They are just used to being snuggled inside you and would rather be snuggled up with you. My advice: just take it easy and enjoy snuggling. They grow up all to quickly. My DS is 18 months now and I just long for the days he wanted to be cuddled up with me! I can't get him to sit still with me if his life depended on it!
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
(female)

chelle4 HB User

before any of my kids were born dh and i agreed we'd give them 2 weeks (so long as they were born healthy) with us in our room. after that they would have to sleep in bassinet in another room, it was hard but we did it and everyone of them has slept thru the night by 8 weeks. the twins we let sleep in their carseats for longer, but the were really small and content to sleep there.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I found swaddling my daughter in a large receiving blanket (like they do at the hospital) so her shoulders and body seemed tightly cuddled like in the womb helped. She slept in her bassinette for 4 weeks then had enough of it so after one night of barely any sleep I put her in her crib and she slept for 5 hours straight. If you can't find what it is she wants maybe try her crib...even if it's during the day so you can see how she does with it. Goodluck.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Thank you for the feedback! I brought her moses basket downstairs today and tried to put her in it everytime she fell asleep and she seems to be taking to it much better Tonight we'll see lol, but if she's getting really worked up about it I'm just gonna give in and snuggle her

Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

As newborns, neither of our two boys allowed us to swaddle them, and both refused to sleep in the bassinet. The first one would only sleep while being held (which meant my wife and I took shifts walking around the apartment with him all night). The second was a little better, but really preferred sleeping on one of us (I spent a lot of nights on the couch with him lying on top of me). By the time they were two or three months, we started establishing bedtime routines, and leaving them in the crib by themselves. We let both cry it out, and although it seems cruel, it really works. We've never had any major sleep problems with either of them aside from a bed-wetting or a bad dream now and then (our older boy is now almost five and our younger is 18 months). But as others said here, it's useless to worry about their sleep habits at one week. Good luck.

Last edited by danimal15; 01-27-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Cheers for all your feedback! I took the advice and left her up to her own accord lol Last night we had a breakthrough!! She went to sleep at 11 in her basket woke up at 2:30 for a bottle and went back to sleep till 6:30 all in her basket so I got to sleep in my bed!! Woo hoo

Closed Thread