It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

curious1979 HB User
Need Potty Training Tips

Help! My daughter will be 3 in March and has NO desire to be potty trained. I have spoken to her Doctor about it, and he is not really worried about it. She is a VERY smart little girl in everyway. She KNOWS she should use the potty, but she says she doesn't want to. I have tried things like, letting her choose a potty chair, stickers, treats, nothing works. She WANTS to wear underwear, but pees in them and gets upset. We are expecting baby # 2 in April, and I kind of think she is doing this cause she still wants to be my baby (even though she is very, very excited about baby sister to be) Does anyone have any tips for me? When did your son/daughter start using the big potty?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Re: Need Potty Training Tips

If she's not even three yet, I wouldn't worry too much. The more pressure you put on her, the less likely she'll want to try. I think the new baby will help. Our little boy was only sporadically interested in potty training until he was nearly 3 and a half. That was when our second child was born. Almost immediately, our first began using the potty regularly, and he's never looked back. I think it was his desire to show that he wasn't a baby anymore, like his little brother. But the point is, all of our attempts to get him trained didn't work - it was a waste of time and effort. Instead, he decided on his own when he was ready, and things worked out fine. He'll be five next month, and now our little one, who's 18 months, wants to be like his big brother and has started using the potty himself! (not that he's really close to being trained - he just likes to use it for fun once in a while)

Good luck.

Last edited by danimal15; 01-20-2005 at 07:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User

Someone asked the same question a few weeks ago. You will find another thread on this subject on page 2 "Too you to potty train".

fyi - my three boys were potty trained at 3 (day and night).

Old 01-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

sunflowerhope HB User

there are tons of books and movies out there,that helped all 4 of mine,and another thing when you go,if your the mom,i always ran saying potty,potty potty~ and be happy and clap for yourself, they love that!good luck!

Old 01-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
(female)

picksie HB User

My daughter was potty trained right at her 3rd birthday. It was like she woke up that day and decided it was time... she had only two accidents, never any in her bed, from that point on. She was a dream to potty train.

My son started out a lot earlier, around 2, but is first now day trained and mostly night trained although we may have an accident once or twice in a week, then none for two weeks!

My only advice is to make it available to her, encourage but don't push and let her decide when she's ready. It's not uncommon these days to be at least 3 before they begin. I've learned one thing: they will do it when THEY are ready, not when Mom and Dad are ready LOL!

Good luck and keep patient.... it will come!

Old 01-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
(female)

nutmeg123 HB User

as mom to 6, and having had many foster children of various ages, I can tell you that no 2 children will train the same way..But this worked well with my youngest son, now 3 1/2..I bought a potty chair and kept it in the family room, right in the middle of his toy/tv area. He wore regular underpants (sponge bob!!) and in only a day or 2 he was trained. He didn't have to "think" about going to the bathroom b/c it was right there where he was. He was 3 weeks shy of his 3rd birthday. He is now night trained tho that wasn't a big issue with me at first. My first born, a daughter was day and night trained at 20 mos..I didnt have to do a thing! but again, the potty chair was right in plain view for her..that was 22 yrs ago!

Old 01-26-2005, 08:22 AM   #7
(female)

curious1979 HB User

Thanks for all the advice ladies.

Laura

Closed Thread