It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

Shmolissa HB User
Does anyone else deal with this?

My 7 year old son will cry about anything. School work, bedtime, food, chores, his siblings, and much more. He actually cried at school during gym class because he was sweaty. I don't know how to deal with his constant whining and crying. I am worried that it will cause him to be teased and alianated at school. Does anyone else have a child who is like this? If so how do you deal with it?
Thank you
Melissa

Old 01-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

Marsanne HB User
Re: Does anyone else deal with this?

My 8yr son does the same thing. We thought he had some emotional issues and we had him tested - we found out he was gifted. This was great news of course, but sometimes gifted children can have emotions that are not easy for them to deal with and can be more emotional than other children.
I have had some really good mom to son talks about it and he seems to be getting a little better, but don't try these talks when he is upset, try going for a walk or a lunch date. I told him that it is a good trait to be an emotional person that he has feelings and showing them is a healthy act, but there is a time and a place for those feelings. That it is safe to show them at home and around mommy and daddy. But wearing your emotions on your sleeve at school can cause him more harm than good and that goes for anger too. Home is a good place to talk about those things, even encourage him to draw or write about his feelings at home in a safe environment. But crying at school can make others kids uncomfortable and he may end up getting teased. Be honest with him and let him know it is ok to feel all his emotions...in a safe environment like home if he needs to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #3

Calamity04 HB User
Re: Does anyone else deal with this?

What do you do to calm him down, because you could be unknowingly rewarding this behavior by giving him your attention.

Closed Thread