It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Toddler Bed Troubles.......

Hello there and i really hope i can get some good advice on this one, it's a doozie. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with #2. my first son turned 19 months today. the pediatrician told us that we should switch our son to a toddler bed right away as he has been able to climb out of his crib on a few occasions (when very upset) other wise he has been VERY easy to get to go to bed. from 3 months on he has gone right to sleep with very little fuss with a few exceptions of being sick or over tired. the doctor said that if we transition him now then he should be well adjusted by the time the new baby comes and we wont deal with the dangers of him falling out of the crib while trying to get to DH and i because f the new baby being in our room. we agreed that we should do this so we got a very nice toddler bed, low to the ground and used his crib mattress with all his familiar things of course. he seemed very very excited when putting it together and we let him be apart of the assembly as well as the crib take down. he went right to sleep and we put a gate up infront of his room so if he did get up he wouldn't wander. or so we thought...right to sleep, yeah right.......
i woke up and figured out he could get out at will and started screaming like he was getting an arm cut off. i went in there and layed him back down and rubbed his back untill he fell asleep. looooonnnngggg story short, it has gotten worse and worse.....nights have gone by with screaming, fits, rage, fear, and my son hasn't done to well either. he has always ended up in our bed, one main reason is he landed a terrible stomach flu, so we reluctantly gave in...mistake i know, but the fear of him getting in trouble with his own vomit freaked me out. ANYWAY........ it has been 2 weeks and this poor kid can barley walk straight. between the flu and no sleep his is literally out of his mind. we decided to put his crib back up as he is clearly not able to handle it. he just stopped screaming after 2 hours after being back in his crib. he acted even worse being back where he once fell asleep so easily. i feel like i have messed him up for life. what do i do?
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Toddler Bed Troubles.......

You know, my son is almost the same age and I'm due right after you, and we're dealing with the SAME issue. I just know with all my maternal instinct that my DS only goes to sleep every night because he can't get up. And I'm scared to death of the idea of him being up while we are asleep because he is a climber and curious in every way imagineable. He would probably scream too once he realized he could get out. I know this because though he sleeps beautifully every night, he protests going to bed and is often awake for 30 minutes after we put him down crying, talking to himself, or otherwise fighting sleep. It doesn't matter how tired he is or what time we put him to bed.

I have no idea what to tell you. Luckily, my son hasn't even attempted to climb out (our crib goes VERY VERY low as it converts to a day bed too) and I'm hoping that won't be a problem. I'm tempted just to let it go for another few months til he's old enough to be told "You stay in that bed!" and a little more mature.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 01-23-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

thanks for your reply. like i said, i feel like we have taken a huge step back as he did go right to sleep in his crib with no fuss. i can not tell you how awful these last 2 weeks have been, but i think that last night was the topper. we really thought he would go right back to his "comfort zone" being back in the crib. he did wake up 2x durring the night, but DH and i were resolved to let him cry it out. we took the wedge out so he could hopefully not get out. he stayed in there all night and surprisingly was very chipper this AM. we are going to try to put him down in his toddler bed and when he wakes up we are going to put him in his crib. i do not think this will be done (weaned from crib) by the time #2 gets here, but like you mentioned, it is hard to explain the in's and out's to my DS as he just can't possibly understand the concept at this age.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

haleysmum HB User

Hi nyxin, sorry I cant offer you any advice Just wanted to say hi and hopefully you can sort this out before your baby is born....I myself am still going through hell most nights getting Haley to sleep Tonight I put her down at about 7.45 pm and she didnt go to sleep until about 10 pm I think if Im lucky she will fall asleep peacefully maybe one or two nights a week if Im lucky. I guess I will be facing the same thing you are going through in the next 6 months or so You must be so exhausted you poor thing not to mention your little boy ! I think I made a big boo boo with Haley. I went and brought her an ocean wonders aquarium that attaches to the cot thinking she will lay there and watch it and fall asleep. But it had the opposite affect. She WOULD NOT lay down at all LOL , she was standing up in her cot playing with it. Maybe its too stimulating for her at her age, looks like Adam will be getting it in his crib sooner rather than later LMAO.
Anyway just wanted to say hi and I will keep an eye on this post and see if you get any good advice, I may need it myself soon LOL
By the way good luck with the new bubs

Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Look to my response in this board to ((((Please Help)))) it may help

Closed Thread